PDA

View Full Version : My helmet makes me break out

Rumblefish
06-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Well, this is my first posting and I hope I'm putting it in the right spot! I'd say it's health related, it might seem trivial but nonetheless I'm gonna ask anyway. :)

I've been cycling on a regular basis for not too long, and I've noticed that the straps on my helmet are actually making my jawline (or near that area where the straps rest) break out :( My forehead isn't fairing so well either, but it's a little better. I'm assuming it's from all that sweating that goes on while riding and then just hangs out on the straps ride after ride.... What can I do for this, does anyone have suggestions...I mean how does one 'wash' straps that are attached to a helmet??

thanks!!!:

spokewench
06-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Just take your helmet to the sink - put it and the straps in the water, it will float, use some mild soap to wash the straps and the rest of the helmet. It is okay to get the pads in the helmet wet, they dry fairly quickly, press on the pads to drain the water out as well as possible, hang up the helmet and let it dry!

Yeah - Clean Helmet!

:D

madscot13
06-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Yep I broke out after I started biking. I did two things: 1. I think my skin needed to adjust to the sweat/ contact spots (okay not helpful but a little bit of patience) and 2. I started using some more heavy duty face washes. My favorites are for pre ride Oxy daily face wash maximum with Benzoyl Peroxide and post ride Oxy daily cleansing pads with salicyclic acid. I like the second one because it gets rid of the pollution than gets attached to my face ( you would be amazed) and it is really easy to clean my hair line, a neglected spot with normal facewashes. Oh and you can clean your neck without a mess too! Goodluck with the breakout I sort of think everyone goes through it.

Blueberry
06-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Go in shower after ride with helmet. Lather up hair. Put helmet on head and move around. Put extra suds on the straps. Rinse helmet. Rinse hair. Dry both.

Rumblefish
06-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks, Ladies!!! I really appreciate it! I know my boyfriend is going to be amused by the helmet washing....lots of odd looks are going to be sent my way!! :)

Sheesh
06-17-2007, 04:54 PM
I, too, looked at my husband oddly when he suggested I take my helmet in the shower with me. But, I did it and the helmet seems to have taken it okay. :)

Rumblefish
06-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I've no doubt the helmet will be alright....the question is if I will be able to take all the teasing from my boyfriend! :p