PDA

View Full Version : harassment on the road

biknjen
08-30-2004, 09:49 AM
gee, this has brought up some bad memories for me. I used to ride a lot in my 40's, but then got hurt at work, turned 50 and thought I was too old to ride anymore. (What a fool....) I've got a new bike now, on the brink of going clipless and have been increasing my mileage weekly. After reading all these threads I am remembering an incident that happened. I was on the outskirts of town ( I have to ride thru a lot of traffic to get to the good, open 'safe' roads to really enjoy a ride). It was a beautiful spring day and I was on the shoulder of a fairly wide road, when I hear a motorcycle behind me. Didn't think anything of it until it didn't pass me, just kinda hung out behind me, then came up close and the passenger on the motorcycle hit me in the rearend as they passed. I could hear them both laughing as I fought to keep from crashing in the bushes. I was so shocked and shaken, that I called the police when I got home. Amazingly, an officer did come out, but said he couldn't do anything because I didn't get the plate number. As he left, he asked " is that what you were wearing?" I think THAT hurt worse than the smack in the butt!!
funny......I guess that's why I wear tights now when I ride.
Thanks for letting me vent

slinkedog
08-31-2004, 07:32 AM
How awful for you! The entire experience must have been really terrible. And you know you'd never get that question from a cop if you were a man. I'm in Northern Cal, too (SF Bay Area). Where were you riding?

caligurl
08-31-2004, 10:09 AM
OMG! how awful... and new note to self.. paper and a pen to write down the plate number!

stories like this are what make me paranoid to ride by myself :( :( :(

caligurl
08-31-2004, 10:12 AM
OH... and how DARE that cop make that comment to you!

SHEESH! when i'm doing my short, evening rides during the week.. since i live in the desert and it's HOTTER THAN HADES... i wear my biking shorts and a bra top... that does NOT mean some freak can touch me or harass me! any more than some creep could touch me if i were a bar person and went out in a slinky dress... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

now I"M PISSED TOO!

Trek420
08-31-2004, 10:17 AM
biknjen wrote:As he left, he asked "is that what you were wearing?"

As if to say "dressed like that you asked for it?" what are you SUPPOSED to wear riding? A chador? (apologies to any TE'ers who do...seriously) what a sexist idiot. One would expect an officer to have some sensitivity, so if I jog in shorts it's open season? Did you get his badge number? :mad:

caligurl
08-31-2004, 10:20 AM
heck... i not only buy the shortest shorts i can that are still comfortable... but i roll them up to raise my tan line (i HATE that tan line! lol! and certainly don't want it below some of my short shorts!) i've fleetingly thought of getting tri-trunks! but know the chamois couldn't be good for long rides! even if it did.. it wouldn't make be bait!

i'm STILL steaming over that comment!

biknjen
08-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Gosh, don't want anyone being paranoid, but really, you have to be safe. But, how? If you want to get out there on a good long road away from traffic, what to do?? Do any of you take pepper spray along or something like that??

pedalfaster
09-01-2004, 05:04 AM
Getting smacked anywhere is assault, right?

At least the officer came out. You could report his inappropriate comment to a supervisor. Maybe you'll be lucky and he has a female boss ;)

Oh and I got a chuckle out of this:

Originally posted by caligurl
i roll them up to raise my tan line (i HATE that tan line! lol! and certainly don't want it below some of my short shorts!)

Such a cute newbie thing to say Caligurl. :D

After a few years and a few thousand miles you'll be working to preserve that coveted cyclists' tan. It's kind of a badge of honor and makes you easily identifible to other cyclists. We're kind of a strange group :p

BikeLady
09-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Grrr...I've had that happen to me, too. In my case though, I was able to get some revenge, because the guy who smacked me on the rear was a passenger in a truck belonging to a tree company whose services I have used in the past. I went home, called their office and informed them that although I (and several members of my family) have had work done by them in the past, we won't be using them anymore, and this is why (I was riding up a hill at the time...if he had hit me any harder, I would have fallen over into traffic!). I also told them where the incident occured, and at what time. Whoever I talked to (a woman...:) ) was appalled that one of their employees had done that. I hope they figured out who it was and fired his butt!

I, too, am angry that the cop felt you were somehow asking for harrassment by wearing cycling-specific clothing. Is he somehow asking to be shot at because he is wearing his uniform? :mad:

caligurl
09-01-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by biknjen
Gosh, don't want anyone being paranoid, but really, you have to be safe. But, how? If you want to get out there on a good long road away from traffic, what to do?? Do any of you take pepper spray along or something like that??

*raises hand!* i do! it's doggie mace/perpper spray... but i figure i can use it on a bad person if i have to!

my little phone holder (that sits right on the middle of my handlebars) has a pen holder.. well.. it's perfect to clip the mace in to!

caligurl
09-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by pedalfaster
Getting smacked anywhere is assault, right?

At least the officer came out. You could report his inappropriate comment to a supervisor. Maybe you'll be lucky and he has a female boss ;)

Oh and I got a chuckle out of this:

Such a cute newbie thing to say Caligurl. :D

After a few years and a few thousand miles you'll be working to preserve that coveted cyclists' tan. It's kind of a badge of honor and makes you easily identifible to other cyclists. We're kind of a strange group :p

lol! maybe! :D for now i don't even wear short sleeved jerseys! only sleeveless and mostly the racer backs! (same reason!) i wish they made affordable halter jerseys!

i know eventually this will have to end.. cuz it will get cooler and i'll probably want sleeves.. but not necessarily long :(

OH! i have two little circle marks on my hads.. took me a while to figure out what they were... my gloves have a little "hole/circle" on each.. and they are leaving a tan circle! :rolleyes: