PDA

View Full Version : Bike type choices

coyote
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi,
I'm in the market for a new bike. My current bike is too small. I've been looking at the Jamis Commuter 3.0. It is more in the comfort bike range. Most of my biking is commuting to and from work, 6 miles round trip, and then sometimes errands on the weekends. I'm getting bitten by the bike bug though. Now I'm thinking I may really want a road bike...something I can do 20-25 mi/h on. On the other hand...I've been commuting to work for 3 years on a bike and I have only been on one 20 mile ride. But on the other hand....

See my delemia. Unfortunantly I do not have the money for 2 bikes.

What do you all think?

- Mary

Zen
06-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Who says you can't commute on a road bike?

coyote
06-14-2007, 01:43 PM
The fenders and luggage rack kind of take away from the speeding around town effect. Mostly I'm pretty self conscious and I'm not sure I want to ride around town with my butt in the air. The thing I like about the Jamis is that it has a chain guard so I can just jump on it and go and it is really upright.

Torrilin
06-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I see people riding around Madison on all kinds of bikes. Mountain bikes (no suspension, front suspension and full suspension), road bikes, vintage bikes, cruisers, folding bikes... If the weather is good, you'll see lots of nekkid bikes with no fenders or just a rear rack. The moment the weather gets bad, it seems like every bike you see has fenders (and half the saddles are wrapped in a plastic bag).

Go with a bike that you're happy with, and don't worry so much about style. I *know* I look incredibly dorky on my mountain bike, but it gets me grocery shopping and to the library. And I wouldn't look any less (or more) dorky on a cruiser or road bike. I also get passed by plenty of road bikes fitted out with a rack and panniers :). Most of 'em don't have their butt in the air either... it's pretty common to use a more level setup.

If there's a lot of bike parking in your area tho, think about getting a steel bike over aluminum. A lot of the common bike racks make it hard to use a U lock on a big fat Al bike, and it's easy on the steel bikes. I dunno if steel is "realer" or not, but it's a lot easier to park.

Zen
06-14-2007, 03:42 PM
...I'm getting bitten by the bike bug though. Now I'm thinking I may really want a road bike...something I can do 20-25 mi/h on...

- Mary

You can put a removable rack on a road bike that will carry enough weight for a work commute. If you find out it's not really what you want you could sell the road bike for near the same amount it will cost for a new commuter.

Sheesh
06-14-2007, 05:46 PM
I had an aluminum road bike, but eventually bought a carbon fiber road bike. Once I started riding the carbon fiber bike on the weekends, I decided the aluminum bike would become my "commuter". But, eventually, the cf bike became so much more enjoyable to ride, and I got rid of my aluminum bike. Now, I commute on my Giant TCR C3 and I love it! Of course, I don't leave it locked up outside because I'm afraid someone will steal it. Either way, though, I think commuting on a road bike just makes sense for me since I also ride on the weekends and don't need to own two bikes.

I say, buy the bike that makes you happiest because you're more likely to get on and ride it.

Thorn
06-15-2007, 03:30 AM
Absolutely, buy what you feel comfortable on, but here's a suggestion...consider a cross-bike. They tend to have a road geometry (although slightly relaxed, I think), but take wider tires for handling bumpy roads.

There is a recent review on the Surly CrossCheck on the boards and many people swear by the Bianchi Volpe. Both bikes are on my "gotta try 'em out" list as I'm looking to replace my winter-riding hybrid with a low-end cross this fall.

VeloVT
06-15-2007, 04:56 AM
I second the cross suggestion. I have been commuting on a Bianchi Axis and I love it. It's much more relaxed than my road bike (which is a little on the "butt in the air" side), and the more upright position is nice for riding in traffic, as it affords greater visibility (also makes riding with a backpack a bit more comfortable). The canti brakes have great stopping power, there's clearance and eyelets for fenders (I have quick-release detachable ones), and the wide knobbies are great for bad weather (I'm warming up to getting "summer tires" that are slick and a bit narrower though).

Anyway it's certainly worth a look. You might also look at touring bikes, Trek makes a pretty black steel one with a full complement of eyelets and bar end shifters (they switch from indexed to friction in case your drivetrain goes on the fritz while your in between towns -- cool!). Also a more upright geometry.

Kimmyt
06-15-2007, 05:27 AM
I ride my road bike to work, but then I don't need to use panniers or anything. I have been toying with the idea of building a bike specifically for commuting, though. I still think I would use a road frame, I just really like the way my roadie feels. I would probably put some cross tires on there, maybe mustache handlebars (instead of my drops, but I do love my drops, so maybe I'd stick with those) and probably only a double instead of a triple. Maybe even a single speed! The commute's not actually that hilly, but there are a few thrown in there. I ride with a backpack and regularly find my most comfortable position is in the drops, but then I am very flexible and have never had a problem with the drop position.

I've been thinking about this for awhile... now if only I had the time to actually do something about it!

K.

KnottedYet
06-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Cyclocross bikes are very nice for all-round use. I have two: a Waterford X-12 which is my zoom bike (no eyelets for fenders or racks) and has 28mm tires, and a Surly Cross Check which is my commuter/utility bike and has a rack and fenders and 32 mm tires.

I have clipless on the Waterford, and flat pedals on the Surly. My drop-bars are set even with the saddle or slightly higher.

Cyclocross geometry suits my body mechanics and riding style well, so of course I recommend you try the cyclocross bikes, too!

(if you like the Jamis commuter, ask if you can try a Jamis Aurora)

Oh, on the fashion front: it rains here in Seattle, and if you have fenders on your bike folks think you are a serious rider! And since there's so much utility riding around here, same thing for the rack.

RoseC
06-15-2007, 07:07 AM
I was just kind of in the same boat, and I'll second the cross bike recommendation, based on my still limited knowledge. :D

I wanted something I could use for paved trails, mostly, up to about thirty miles. I didn't think I'd use it for commuting or riding the roads, but I liked the idea of having rack options in case I decided to do longer trails someday (didn't consider road trips at the time), and the Bianchi Volpe has the ability to take racks and fenders and all. It's almost a cross between a cross and a touring rig.

Anyway, I sit a bit more upright than on a standard road bike, it's a cushy ride, and I can use wider, more commuter friendly tires on it. And now, with my 350 mile mark coming up tonight, I've fallen in love with biking and want to do *longer* rides. I think I'd be mad at myself if I'd gotten a hybrid as I'd originally planned. You *can* do long rides on one, but this is much better, IMO!

I wuv my bike...

coyote
06-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Hmmm you all have given me a lot to think about. I can not wait to get a new bike. I've known for a while that my current bike is too small for me but lately I've been having problems with my knees and the few times I've tried riding for longer times my hands have gone numb. But maybe I'll hold off a little longer and check out a few more bikes. I think I have been shying away from the road type bikes becuase all the bikes I have owned as an adult have been too big (hence the small bike now).

A guy at work commutes on a Jamis Aurora. It looks really slick with fenders on it.

I think I'm going to see if I can rent a road/cross bike for a weekend, one that fits, and see what it feels like.

The Bianchi Volpe is affordable and does have the all important rack eyelets. If the rent-a-bike goes well I think I'll check out the Aurora and Volpe.

Thanks all of you for your input.

BikeDutchess
06-15-2007, 10:03 AM
REI has the Marin Belvedere Bike - 2007 model on sale for $440 right now. Commuter bike with fenders, and I believe it also allows you to attach racks (no racks included).

TsPoet
06-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I know the bentvangelists on bikejournal can get rather annoying, but have you considered looking at a bent? A Giro 20 or 26 would fit your bill nicely.
But, as Sheesh pointed out, you may want a road bike, or a road bent, and just use it even though it isn't officially a commuter bike. I have a Giro 20 and a Corsa (the bent equivalent of a fast-ish road bike). I ride the Corsa most often, just cause it's more fun. The Giro is more logical, but the Corsa is more fun!

coyote
06-15-2007, 11:23 AM
TsPoet,
What is a bent? I tried googling Giro but all I get is the helmet and I get a bike shop when I tried Corsa.

Torrilin
06-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Googling "giro 20" turns up that it's a recumbent bike. You'll see the odd commuter in Madison on a recumbent. They look like they'd be great for certain sorts of physical disabilities, but for my purposes, they're not ideal. Hard to park (I have to carry my bike downstairs to park it at home), poor cargo capacity with the equipment I have, and I'd be less visible. I'm already short enough, I don't need any more help disappearing :)

It's worth trying one if they appeal to you tho. How will you know if you like something if you don't try it?

coyote
06-15-2007, 01:24 PM
One of the LBS are recumbent enthusiasts. They have a whole big selection. I tried out a 3 wheeler. It was really low to the ground...impossible to over balance. The steering sat right under the seat and went directly to the front wheels. It really responded well and was really sweet. That is my 'if I win the lottery" bike. I wouldn't mind one like the Giro 20. I talked to a guy that rides a recumbent....he said it is so unusual that it gets him noticed all the time. I wonder how well they transport? Most of them seem really long, not like you can stick it on the old bike rack and take to the next state, especially the 3 wheelers.

extra-vert
07-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Buy a used commuter on ebay and personalize it. I have purchased two older, (one early 90s, one mid-late 80s) cannondale roadbikes, (I'll take pics). I don't want my commuter to look too new or too fancy as I lock it up outside. I had mustache handlebars on it at one point, but went back to drop, I throw stickers on it at will, if I wish, and my tire choice are specialized armadillos for lasting power. Of course, I live in SF and must contend with hills, so I prefer a light enough ride. I am about to sell one of these two cannondales because I can no longer store 2. I'm very torn over which one to give up and I will take and post pics of both and ask you guys your opinion. For now, I ride the blue one it is so comfortable and sporty! Pics on the way. Good luck in your choice. If it were me, I would by a used aluminum roadbike - maybe 10-20 yrs old in good shape, maybe switch out to 25 or 28 size tires, from 23 (thickness), maybe put mtn bike handlebars, put fenders, If neccessary, and a rack that suspends just from the seatpost, a:) cheap odometer, lights, maybe some glow in the dark stickers for fun, and H2O cages - done!

GLC1968
07-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I bought a used touring bike for commuting. It's got a rack and bigger tires to handle the load and the terrain, but it's light enough to handle the local hills. It's a relaxed road geometry, so while it looks like a road bike, it's not super race-like and its easier on the back (especially if I carry a backpack). I switched out the flat bars for drops and there is plenty of room for lights and the like to make it safe for winter riding. But...it's a road bike at heart and it not only likes to go fast on occasion, it likes long rides too. :D

http://www.tranquilitysystems.com/gallery/files/4/IMG_0618.JPG

Zen
07-06-2007, 02:11 PM
After riding with Tam, I second (or third or fourth) the cross bike. That front fork suspension is sweet.

I'd kinda like one myself.

Kalidurga
07-07-2007, 02:49 AM
After riding with Tam, I second (or third or fourth) the cross bike. That front fork suspension is sweet.

The TriCross (http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22307) doesn't really have suspension, it (like some of Specialized's road bikes) has Zertz inserts (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=204179) in the front fork that really do smooth out the ride. I don't have the option of commuting, but it's certainly been great for everything else I've done with it, and it's set up to take a rack and fenders. And they've put a triple chainring on the newer models (mine's a compact). The TriCross may not be as sexy as a Volpe, but it's slick and sturdy :D

If/when I begin thinking of getting a new bike, I might consider a touring bike, but I'd most likely go for a 'cross bike again. Their versatility is just fantastic. In a way, it seems as if 'cross bikes are becoming the new hybrid.

Zen
07-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Now you've got me looking at Thudbusters:p

bikerHen
07-07-2007, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=Kalidurga;220942]The TriCross (http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22307) doesn't really have suspension, it (like some of Specialized's road bikes) has Zertz inserts (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=204179) in the front fork that really do smooth out the ride. I don't have the option of commuting, but it's certainly been great for everything else I've done with it, and it's set up to take a rack and fenders. And they've put a triple chainring on the newer models (mine's a compact). The TriCross may not be as sexy as a Volpe, but it's slick and sturdy.[QUOTE]

If I may ask, what model Tricross do you have? I'm thinking that's what I'm going to get, but am real torn between the Sport and Comp. :confused: bikerHen

KnottedYet
07-07-2007, 03:29 PM
If/when I begin thinking of getting a new bike, I might consider a touring bike, but I'd most likely go for a 'cross bike again. Their versatility is just fantastic. In a way, it seems as if 'cross bikes are becoming the new hybrid.

I've been thinking how much cyclocross bikes seem like the good ol' road bikes we had in the 1970's!

Kalidurga
07-08-2007, 08:36 AM
If I may ask, what model Tricross do you have? I'm thinking that's what I'm going to get, but am real torn between the Sport and Comp. :confused: bikerHen

I got the 2006 Sport model. I didn't know much about bikes at that point and I had a bunch of accessories to buy, so I went for the less expensive model. The Comp has more Zertz inserts, an 11-34 cog set, and better rims. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have sprung for the Comp instead. For 2007, though, they changed both the Sport and the Comp from a compact chainring to a triple. I prefer the compact, but I'd love to have that 11-34 cog set. The TriCross Expert (http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22303) with an 11-34 would be awesome, but it's just way out of my price range.

kfergos
07-27-2007, 08:39 AM
I recently switched to a mountain bike with slicks on it to a cyclocross bike, (28 mm slicks) and I've never looked back. A cyclocross is versatile, tough but comfortable, and lets you go fast on occasion as well. I've received many admiring comments on my cross bike, so I too recommend considering a cross. Just avoid disc brakes if you do choose one -- they're more hassle than they're worth!

Beane
08-24-2007, 03:18 PM
If you have a Jamis dealer in the area and go to check out the Commuter, you should also look at the "Coda" line of bikes. They're perfect for commuting, steel (soo comfy), and well spec'd for the price. This spring I got an '05 Coda Sport on mega clearance and have been quite happy with it (though I've upgraded several things, that's probably because I'm a gearhead and not because the bike needed it). The other nice thing is that there are several different Codas, ranging from about $450 to over $1500.

On another note, I test rode a bike once with a thudbuster and it was awesome! I can't really justify one for the price since my route isn't particularly bumpy, but the thudbuster was not even in the same category as "normal" suspension posts.

anaphase
08-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I have the Jamis Commuter and I really like it for errands and trips under 10 miles.

The good:

Easy to put a rack and pannier/trunk bags on it
VERY adjustable in the handlebar/stem
Nice upright riding position
Wheels and tires feel a bit more substantial than my road bike, so I'm not as scared of potholes and road debris, which are a part of my commute for sure. :)
Shifts like a dream
Fun to ride, and very easy to ride (good control)

The not so good:

It's heavy. 10 lbs heavier than the road bike, so it's slow.
The fenders are junk.
Um... that's all I can think of. :)

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-27-2007, 01:10 PM
The not so good:

It's heavy. 10 lbs heavier than the road bike, so it's slow.
The fenders are junk.
Um... that's all I can think of. :)
[/QUOTE]

The main weight difference between it and your road bike is probably mostly in the accessories, not in the actual frame (which might likely be 3 to 4 lbs heavier than your road bike frame).
Heavier/wider tires and rims, racks, fenders, saddlebag, non-carbon parts, perhaps a third gear ring, etc....
Many people like very lightweight fenders rather than heavier metal old fashioned fenders. Light fenders can seem junky ...but all they really need to do is keep the rain from splashing up at you. Some folks even like plastic fenders.

anaphase
08-28-2007, 09:47 AM
The main weight difference between it and your road bike is probably mostly in the accessories, not in the actual frame (which might likely be 3 to 4 lbs heavier than your road bike frame).
Heavier/wider tires and rims, racks, fenders, saddlebag, non-carbon parts, perhaps a third gear ring, etc....
Many people like very lightweight fenders rather than heavier metal old fashioned fenders. Light fenders can seem junky ...but all they really need to do is keep the rain from splashing up at you. Some folks even like plastic fenders.

Well, I don't know where the actual weight comes from, but stock it is about 10 lbs heavier. It's listed at 28, vs 18 for my road bike, which is a triple, and felt 10lbs heaver *before* I put the rack on it. The fenders are plastic and super flimsy, which is fine for keeping rain off, but I've had to adjust them about 20 times to get them right, which is annoying. So to me, those are the particular cons for that bike.

VeloVT
08-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Well, I don't know where the actual weight comes from, but stock it is about 10 lbs heavier. It's listed at 28, vs 18 for my road bike, which is a triple, and felt 10lbs heaver *before* I put the rack on it. The fenders are plastic and super flimsy, which is fine for keeping rain off, but I've had to adjust them about 20 times to get them right, which is annoying. So to me, those are the particular cons for that bike.

I'm sure it's a combination, but I would vote for the frame being a good part of it. I have a road bike that's about 18.5 lbs, and a cx bike that's about 21 lbs with canti brakes, fat tires, slightly beefier rims etc. The components on the cx bikes are likely heavier too, being 105 versus Ultegra on my road bike. And it has a mt bike rear der and cluster, which has got to add weight (it sure looks heavier). Given all this the difference is less than three lbs (and with road tires, the cx bike hardly **feels** heavier to ride than the road bike)... so the extra schtuff doesn't add as much as you might think.

Anyway, this is neither here nor there, but I think Jamis makes really handsome bikes.