PDA

View Full Version : MaxChill water bottles

bentforlife
08-30-2004, 06:29 AM
Has anyone tried the MaxChill water bottles from Performance bike? I bought a couple after my daughter lost(?) a Polar bottle at band practice. I thought this would be so different that if someone "accidently" picked it up I could get the word out about it. Any way the point is this...They put off a very peculiar smell when they are wet. I think it smells like a wet, dirty dog and my husband thinks it smells like sausage cooking(go figure!). It does what it promises, the water stayed cold for about 4 hours! Getting used to the smell may take a while.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know

Donna :cool:

caligurl
08-30-2004, 08:18 AM
no idea on the smell :(

so did it stay colder longer than with the polar?

i normally fill my polar to the top with ice.. then add water... on longer rides i fill about 1/4 full with water.. freeze it.. then fill with ice, then water... cuz i HATE warm water.. bleh!

when i had to refill at the top of GMR saturday.. i still had part of the chunk of ice.. and the water in the fountain was cool..

i live in the desert so it's normally very hot (90's to 100's!)

bentforlife
08-30-2004, 08:35 AM
It stayed cooler about an hour longer than the Polar bottle did.
It works on the evaporative principal. I'm hoping the smell will eventually go away with use. I'll let you know on that.

Donna

caligurl
08-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by bentforlife
It stayed cooler about an hour longer than the Polar bottle did.
It works on the evaporative principal. I'm hoping the smell will eventually go away with use. I'll let you know on that.

Donna

darn! now i wish i'd have bought them instead! :mad: well.. except for the smell.. yes.. please keep us posted cuz i may replace my polars for the extended cold time!

bentforlife
08-30-2004, 11:36 AM
For fun I may try a little more scientific tests on these bottles over Labor Day weekend, Polar vs. MaxChill. Be more exact on same amount of ice, water and measuring the temperature. I'll get back with you on the results. Guess that's just the biology/nursing coming out in me. Need that "emperical" data.

Sincerely, the science nerd, Donna:D

caligurl
08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
there ya go! that's exactly what we need!!!

i'll be looking forward to reading the results!

bentforlife
09-22-2004, 11:07 AM
though not as scientific as I would like. My husband and I took the bottles to a football game(being the dutiful band parents of a cymbal player). I did measure the ice and water for equal results. After an hour the Polar bottle had more ice and was cooler. After 2 hours the ice was gone in both bottles. Over night though the Maxchill bottle stayed cooler. Variables include high humidity, mid 90s to upper 70s for the temp.

I'm going to repeat the test at home this weekend. I'll let you know. BTW, this Maxchill bottle didn't have the funky smell.

Donna;)

caligurl
09-22-2004, 01:14 PM
thanx for the results so far! for now it sounds like the polar is better for rides (colder and ice longer at first).

i'm glad the other didn't have the funky smell! i'll be watching for your home results! i like cold water!!! :D

p.s. i have a "result" :rolleyes: do NOT put your ice/water filled polar bottle in the freezer to keep it cold and leave it there for an hour before your ride.. it WILL freeze and will stay that mostly that way! especially when it's only an after-work ride for an hour! dumb dumb dumb! lol!

now if i make it ahead of time i just put it in the fridge til i'm ready to leave! DUMB! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: