PDA

View Full Version : Vitesse HP vs Vitesse Tri vs Blackwell Flow?

Skierchickie
06-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Please help! I'm sending the Zero X back (can't get past the soft tissue problems), and I need to take the plunge on something else. I think I have it narrowed down, but I'm just not sure (plus can't find anywhere that sells any of these three and will allow returns, except if it is unused).

If anyone has used any of these models, I could really use your input!

My needs: I really need to be able to use my aero bars and drops, - this is where the Zero X and the Butterfly let me down. The Damselfly was too narrow for my sit bones, and Butterfly's shape wasn't right for me - my butt & thighs are bigger than I'd like, and I think the ol' thunder thighs would hit the back part of the saddle & push me forward, leading to constant squirming and pushing myself back. I love the shape of the Zero X, with its more gradual increase in width. If I could find something with that shape, (and the width seems good, although probably wouldn't want to go any narrower (it actually measures 5-3/4", by the way)), but easier on me up in front, I'd be really happy.

I know there are more than one model of the Vitesse, and I think the HP would be the one I'd want, but then again... Anybody have any ideas on gel? It sort of scares me, in that if there is too much it seems like it could just cause more mashing. A couple of years ago I tried my husband's Azoto Triathgel, and it killed me (just temporarily, thank goodness!), and he ended up hating it, too (big, bulky, gel-filled nose - the Azoto, not DH, although he is 6'-5"). By the way, just what does DH mean? Dear Husband, Dorky Hubby, Dratted Horse's-&*%, or just whatever applies at the time?

I'm sort of a tech-weenie, and I don't want a big, clunky-looking woman's saddle that weighs a ton and looks like a couch, although maybe that is what I need. Why do all the women's saddles look like that? Even the women's versions of hot-looking men's saddles?

Okay, so while I can still return my Terry, I don't really want to spend a ton of money on the next one if I can't return the thing, but I'm to the point that I might be willing to pay way too much for the right saddle. So I'm trying not to exceed the $100 level, but if 10 people all said the Vitesse Tri solved all of their soft-tissue issues and they were in love, I'd probably spring for it. The Blackwell is intriguing, but I haven't seen much discussion of it. I know Nanci loves her Vitesse, but which model is that? And how is it with aero bars?

Finally, if you know of anywhere I could order one of these and return it if it didn't work after a few rides, please let me know. I don't know how people can afford to try saddle after saddle after saddle. We don't have a big selection near us, and nothing in stock anywhere that looks likely, so it would have to be ordered, so I'd hate to then stick my LBS with it. I guess Bontrager has a comfort guarantee, and my LBS is a Trek dealer & could get one, but I haven't seen anyone on the forum raving about them.

Thanks!
Jan

Sheesh
06-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I have a vitesse and I really like it. In fact, I tried several saddles at the store, and knew as soon as I sat on the vitesse that it was the saddle for me. I'm afraid I'm not much help, though, in finding a place that will let you return it if used. I just tried several bikes with different saddles at my LBS and then they swapped saddles for me when I bought my bike.

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which vitesse I have (I have two, and they both look slightly different, but feel the same), but the newer one definitely looks like the one in this (http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=9652) picture. I do not use aero bars, so I'm afraid I can't help there either. Sorry!

I would recommend checking several shops and see if any carry a Vitesse and would let you try it on a bike your size. My LBS would do that in an instant for someone looking to spend $100 or more... Good luck!

VeloVT
06-13-2007, 05:12 AM
If you like a more gradual width transition from front to back and are considering non-cutout saddles, why not take a look at the Arione? It actually is much more gradual than the Vitesse, hence the multiple riding positions that are touted as one of its benefits. I have the Arione on both bikes, spend a lot of time on my drops, and I really like it. I do find I use different parts of it -- I might slide forward to sprint or climb, or way back for some descents -- lots of positions that give you good support.

Skierchickie
06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
"I just tried several bikes with different saddles at my LBS and then they swapped saddles for me when I bought my bike. " - Sheesh

Thanks for the suggestion, Sheesh. Unfortunately, though, my local shops don't really have anything to try. I live in a pretty rural area (several towns in the area, each about 7000 people or less (mostly much less!)), so our shops just don't stock much in the way of saddles. I'm about 4 hours from Green Bay or Duluth, 7-ish from Madison or Twin Cities, 500 miles from Detroit. My favorite LBS would pretty much have Bontrager on the bikes they are selling (and after hunting around this forum, the concensus there is bad). The only other shop would have whatever Giant uses, I guess. Most of the available bikes here are MTBs, anyhow, because that is all that sells here (getting better the last couple of years, but we just have tons of trails, and very few really good roads). Of course, most of the population around here get their bikes at Walmart :eek:

"I have the Arione on both bikes, spend a lot of time on my drops, and I really like it." - Liza

Thank you, Liza. I like the idea of the Arione, but I think it is pretty narrow for my sit bones. My Zero X measures 5.75" at the widest (146mm), and the Fizik website shows the Arione at a maximum of 132mm, making it closer to the Damselfly, which I finally decided my sit bones were straddling (felt great on the first ride, and progressively more painful, in a bruising kind of way, on every ride after). Anyway, really good to know the Vitesse might be too t-shaped for me. The Butterfly is WAY too t-shaped, and at a whopping 6.5" at the widest (actual measurement), it is theoretically 1/2 inch wider than the Vitesse (154mm), which looks less severe in the pictures, so it still could work, although after this fiasco I'd prefer a pear, if I can find it.

I wish more catalogs and websites gave actual dimensions and showed top views of the saddles - it would really help. I also wish I could manage to get a good sit bone measurement - I finally took two little pieces of duct tape, reached under, and stuck them to my chair. Hard to get any kind of accuracy, but seems to be 150mm-ish, after multiple attempts. The white paper method just didn't work - too much junk in the trunk, I guess. I don't have a good place to do it, either - can't find a good surface. I could do it in the entrance at work, but I work with about 25 men, and 2 women, none of them athletes, and I just don't know how that would look to them! :o

Can't find any dimensions on the Blackwell Flow, or a picture from the top, just positive comments on slowtwitch.com

Alright, I've gotten too wordy again