PDA

View Full Version : Diet and your bones

mimitabby
06-12-2007, 09:39 AM
from the NYTIMES:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/health/nutrition/12nutr.html?ref=fitnessandnutrition
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/health/nutrition/12nutr.html?ref=fitnessandnutrition
Nutrition: Calorie Intake May Affect Bone Health of Young Women
By ERIC NAGOURNEY

When a young woman stops menstruating, doctors often take it as a red flag that she may not be eating enough, which, among other problems, can inhibit bone formation.

But a new study has found that some young women who have regular periods may still be eating so little that they endanger the health of their bones.

There are a number of reasons a teenager may not be consuming enough nutrients. Anorexia is a common one, but young women who work out intensively for a sport like gymnastics without increasing their energy intake are also at risk.

The study, by Anne Loucks and Aiden Shearer of Ohio University, looked at the role of nutrient intake and bone formation in women ages 18 to 32. It was presented last week at a meeting of the Endocrine Society.

go to the link to read the rest

Zen
06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
You know how when you're in school certain odd facts just stick with you?

My odd (but useful) fact is that bones are the body's calcium "bank". If your blood ph changes, it comes out of the bank. Most of your "bank deposits" are accrued during your early years, that's why it's so important to keep whatcha got.

So start heftin' some weights!

mimitabby
06-12-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm doing that. but i'm not young and it might be too late for me; but hopefully not for some of you others.

Zen
06-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Mimi, you misunderstood me.
When you're young you stock up with the good nutrition you referenced in your first post.
When you get to our age is when you do what you can (like lifting) to keep what you have.

mimitabby
06-12-2007, 10:35 AM
The up and coming generation has to do more than eat right. they have to get ACTIVE. your bones aren't going to stay strong if you live a sedentary lifestyle.
Young people need to get out of their houses, get in the sun, and start acting like their bodies are for more than just looking at.