PDA

View Full Version : New Chain and cassette - still skips under load

Fredwina
06-12-2007, 08:38 AM
I just recently replaced my chain and cassette.
I runs fine (doesn't appear to have skips) execpt under load
the chain is a 9 speed shimano 105. The Rear dr is an Ultegra triple
I sized it using the method on park tools website - wrap it around the large cog and big Chainring without threading it through the RD.
The main reason i'm thinking that I got the length wrong is that I can't get it to skip on the Big ring, I haven't tried the granny yet. the Chainring have about 18,000 miles on them and are begging to show some wear.
Should I just be more patient, or seek professional help?:o I've done this a couple of time before, but I can't remeber having this much of a problem

Trek420
06-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Howdy, define "under load" :rolleyes: You're not shifting while climbing are you? :confused:

Good thread here:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=6418&highlight=load+shifting

Fredwina
06-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Howdy, define "under load" :rolleyes: You're not shifting while climbing are you? :confused:

Good thread here:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=6418&highlight=load+shifting
Nope, It does starting off from a light or going up hill.

maillotpois
06-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Are you sure the cassette is on tight? If so, then I bet the chain is too long. Your worn chainrings shouldn't make the cassette skip.

I'd seek professional advice.

DebW
06-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Is there a slightly stiff link in the chain from installation? The wrong sized chain shouldn't make it skip unless it is inadequately tensioned by the derailleur. If the chain is tensioned in the small-small combination you should be OK there. To check for excess wear on the chainrings, look for sloppiness of chain around chainring, or chain not seating firmly to the bottom of the teeth.

agrsgrl
06-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Where does it skip? In the front or the back? You could try adjusting the indexing, but it sounds like maybe your front chainrings are worn. Have you checked for bent teeth or things like that?

Fredwina
06-23-2007, 09:07 PM
after another new chain (SRAM pc-971) and chaining(Salsa 39th), everything is hunky dory. Performed Flawlessly during the 230K permanent I did today