PDA

View Full Version : I do run, run, run..I do run,run. L & LLR's June 11-17

kelownagirl
06-11-2007, 11:13 AM
OK, I didn't run today, but I had a good song idea for a thread title. :D

Run? I can barely walk. So if you run for 26 minutes at 95-99% maximum HR, how long before your legs stop hurting?

Wahine
06-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Congrats on your race KG. That's awesome. I'd guess that your legs won't stop hurting for at least 3 days, based on what you posted. Ice water baths help. Or just go stand in Lake O. for 20 min, it should still be cold enough to do the trick. Glacial fed lake would be better though.

I like the new titles for the thread.

No running for me today, 2 races this weekend. Quads and calves are very tired. Must rest...zzzzzzzz

alpinerabbit
06-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I ran yesterday on tired legs, rest day today. Tomorrow I'll hook up with my work mate who wants to run for lunchtime, it's gonna be hot and I'll let her set the pace and I'll get to try out my brand new water belt. Then another 10K group run on Wed.

kelownagirl
06-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Ice water eh? Brrr... I was hoping you'd say I should sit in my hot tub. :P So hot isn't good?

Congrats on your race KG. That's awesome. I'd guess that your legs won't stop hurting for at least 3 days, based on what you posted. Ice water baths help. Or just go stand in Lake O. for 20 min, it should still be cold enough to do the trick. Glacial fed lake would be better though.

I like the new titles for the thread.

No running for me today, 2 races this weekend. Quads and calves are very tired. Must rest...zzzzzzzz

chickwhorips
06-11-2007, 01:53 PM
OK, I didn't run today, but I had a good song idea for a thread title. :D

caught my attention and i liked it!!!!

your so creative! :D

Wahine
06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Ice water eh? Brrr... I was hoping you'd say I should sit in my hot tub. :P So hot isn't good?

Hot's OK. But ice is better within the first few hours of the race. Keeps the inflammation down. If you're just tight go ahead with heat. You're probably just as well off at this stage anyway.

kelownagirl
06-11-2007, 06:27 PM
caught my attention and i liked it!!!!

your so creative! :D

Well you give me hope CWR - I was worried that the younger ones might not know the song... :)

yellow
06-11-2007, 07:04 PM
I agree with the new thread titles. Fun! (In the background: everybody making mental lists...)

I haven't been running much lately, much to my chagrin. I had a weekend of "compromise": a long steep hike on Saturday with DH (which turned out to be very fun-saw the rattlesnake, a gopher snake, and about 30 horned lizards) and a long got-lost-but-had-a-blast mountain bike ride with an injured-can't-run friend on Sun. But I ran today after work:5 easy miles on the trail here in the 'hood with a running friend that has been down with an injury for a few weeks. Nice run, nice company. Went for a 3-ish mile walk with another friend after that.

I'm afraid I won't be able to get back into the swing of running again for a while since next week I'll be riding my mountain bike from Telluride to Moab! :D But I'm hoping to get at least one more run in this week...I hope.

KSH
06-11-2007, 07:04 PM
HA! HA! Great title! I love it!

RUN
31m
3.00 miles
10m 20s /mile

Ran at the track before my swim. It was so hot! But I kept going!

Good run. No side cramp.

SWIM

50m
3000.00 meters
1m 40s /100 meters

Swam after running.

W/U- 200 swim/200 kick/200 pull

10x50. 5- IM, 5 Free fast. Alternating

5x300- 100 easy/50 fast/100 easy/50 fast

100 CD

kelownagirl
06-11-2007, 08:33 PM
I agree with the new thread titles. Fun! (In the background: everybody making mental lists...)

Here are a couple.....

Run - Ghostface Killah
Keep on Runnin' - The Cat Power
Run Into Flowers - M83
Running' Away - Sly & The Family Stone
I'll Come Running - Brain Eno
Miles Runs the Voodoo Down - Miles Davis
Run Like Hell - Pink Floyd
Roadrunner - The Modern Lovers
Run Through The Jungle - Creedence
Run That Body Down - Paul Simon
Run - Faust
On The Run - Pink Floyd
Time Is Running Out Fast - James Brown
Running' with The Devil - Van Halen
Run of the Miller - George Harrison
Running to Stand Still - U2
Hit It Run - Run DMC
Runaways - XTC
Sun, Gun, Run - Boredoms
Johnny Hit and Run Paulene - X
Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush
f**k and Run - Liz Phair
Long Distance Runner - Fugazi
Run - Snow Patrol
Run - Cog
Running Out of Time - Hot Hot Heat
Run Baby Run - Garbage
Keep the Car Running - Arcade Fire
Run like a Villian - Iggy Pop
Run Riot - Def Leppard
Free to run – Gomez
Gonna run U over – Coda
The men who ran away from the circus – Karma County
On the Run – Pink Floyd
Pigs that ran straight away into the water, Triumph of – The Mountain Goats
Born to run - Springsteen
Jogging - Yelle
You Are A Runner And I Am My Father's Son - Wolf Parade
Finish Line - Yellow Card
Eating Up The Bitumen - Travis Sinclair
Out Of The Races And On To The Tracks - The Rapture
Don't Come Running To Me - The Greenhornes
Long Distance - Nizlopi
All The Roadrunning - Mark Knoffler & Emmylou Harris
Fast Runner - Dorian Hatchet
Jog Along Bess - Vashti Bunyan
Runnin' with the pack (Bad Company)
Run baby run (Sheryl Crow)
Fox on the run (Manfred Mann)
Running (No Doubt)
Running Scared (Roy Orbison)
Running Against The Wind - Bob Seger Band
Take the Money and Run.................Steve Miller Band
Run Up, Get Dun Up........................Da Banggaz
Who Can I Run To?.........................Xscape
I Run NY Freestyle..........................Jim Jones
Make A Run For It...........................Hit The Lights
Running Away................................Delta Goodram
Beer Run.......................................Bob and Tom Show
Run Fay Run...................................Isaac Hayes (Kill Bill Soundtrack)
Run To You....................................Bryan Adams
Run Into Flowers.............................M83
Devil Running.................................John Butler Trio
One Last Run..................................Nickleback
Runaway Boys - The Stray Cats
Run Devil Run - Jenny Lewis
Running Down A Dream - Tom Petty
Running The World - Jarvis Cocker
Running With Scissors - Ben Lee
Running Water - Daniel Johnston
Runnin Blue - Boz Scaggs and Band
Run Rabbit Run - Flanagan & Allen
Run - Frenzal Rhomb
Run - Cog
Shoot The Runner - Kasabian
Run To Me - The Bee Gees
The Long Disatnce Runner...............................Promoe
The Long Distance Runner...............................Fugazi
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.......Iron Maiden
Runawy.......................................................Linkin Park
Run Fat Boy Run..........................................Nine Pound Hammer
Run It.........................................................Chris Brown Race Against Myself.....................................The Offspring
Running on Ice............................................Billy Joel
Runaway....................................................Cartel
Run to the Water.........................................Live
Running......................................................Evermore
Runaway....................................................Live
Run By Night...............................................Midnight Oil
Running Underwater.....................................Killing Heidi
Running on Faith..........................................Eric Clapton
Runaway Girls.............................................Australian Crawl
The Runaway.............................................. Something corporate
Run........................................................... Snow patrol
Charlie......................................................The Red Hot Chili Pepeprs
Running With The Devil...............................Van Halen
Band on the Run - Wings
Run Like Hell - Pink Floyd
Run on - Moby
Running To Stand Still - U2
Keep The Car Running - The Arcade Fire
Run ............................Spiderbait
Born To Run.................Springsteen Run to Paradise............Choirboys
Hit and Run..................Jo Jo Zep and the falcons
Run to the hills..............Iron Maiden
Running up that Hill........Kate Bush
Run Run Run..................Velvet Underground
Run Thru the jungle.........Creedence Clearwater Revival
Runaways.......................XTCRun for your Life..............BeatlesRun.................................Jimmy Barnes (What is a running playlist without Barnsey or Chisel)
Run On............................MobyLost and Running..............PowderfingerFox on the Run.................The Sweet
Band on the Run................Wings
The Distance.....................Cake

beetle
06-12-2007, 04:15 AM
KG - OMG :eek: how long did that post take to write???????? Great list. I would download a bunch to my ipod but it seems that it has stopped working after I got rained on during my run/ride on Sunday. I had high hopes the water may not have bothered it as it has already survived a trip through the washing machine :rolleyes:

I seem to have copied KSH today. Ran 5km (30m) at the gym before my swim. I cut my session short to 2200m as was in a rush to get out of the pool and home for pizza.

Tri Girl
06-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Don't have anything to post about running (haven't yet this week) but I LOVE the title (..."somebody told me that his name was Bill...day do run, run, run, day do run, run...") Now I have that song in my head (a good one to have). :D My dad listend to 50's/60's "oldies" all during my growing up years, so I know all those oldies and goodies. So many great songs from that era.
You're so clever!!! And wowzer- that list is amazing (and a little scary- "F*@k and run"? really?)!!!

kelownagirl
06-12-2007, 06:16 AM
Oh good heavens, I didn't type all that. I'm just good with google and cut and paste. :p :D

chickwhorips
06-12-2007, 08:26 AM
I was worried that the younger ones might not know the song... :)

Are you kidding? I now have it stuck in my head.

Wahine
06-12-2007, 08:33 AM
This is a question someone asked me elsewhere and I thought it would be useful here.

Wahine - Can I ask you a question about my aching legs? It doesn't bother me that much because I know they'll feel better in a couple of days but I am just curious - is this just normal pain for working so hard? Or does it just mean that I am not in good enough shape and maybe should have run slower? Is it ok to have my HR up so high for so long?

So the key to this question is how hard was this person running? The only way to know the answer is to know what this person's lactate threshold is. This can be done with a VO2 max test, or it can be simulated with the help of a friend on a track test.

I would guess that this person was running above their lactate threshold. When you do this you are expending more energy than you're body can produce with aerobic metabolism and you will produce lactic acid. Without flushing the lactate out after the race, there will be inflammation and painful tension in the muscles the following day. That's one theory anyway. The other theory is that the pain has nothing to do with lactic acid and that the pain and inflammation comes from small tears in the muscle fibres. I think it's a combination. So what can you do to ease it...

1) Flush the system out by walking after the event or going for a light spin for 20 to 30 minutes

2) Replace the glycogen lost in the muscle, have some protein and make sure your vitamins, (esp vit C), are up to snuff. Your body needs this stuff to repair the damage.

3) Drink lots of water. Potassium and calcium are key to preventing cramping.

4) A cold water bath within a few hours of the effort. You can use heat later.

5) Gentle stretching for a minimum of 20 sec each muscle group, no bouncing.

To prevent it, run at an effort that you know your body can sustain more easily. But that's not usually the point of a race. Good hard efforts are excellent for building strength and speed, especially as we get older. The difference is that as we age we need longer recovery between efforts. That goes for rest periods between intervals and rest between hard workouts.

Finally, the more base training you have, the easier your body will handle a hard effort run. But keep in mind that anyone, no matter what their training is, is going to be sore after a really hard effort race.

teigyr
06-12-2007, 08:38 AM
:D

Johnny Hit and Run Pauline is, um...., a bit risque but good!

Interesting mix of songs! I always used Born to Run as a good driving song.

Oh and speaking of, have not run this week. For some reason, the motivation is lacking.

Xrayted
06-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Oh, wow the Crystals. Here's a version for the Harry Potter fans... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjesdiUKmY4&mode=related&search=

Hee, hee... this version is for MimiTabby. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRy_aSz6pxs

alpinerabbit
06-12-2007, 11:10 AM
So the water belt - is crrrr@p (so far anyway) - coupled with a full size bottle (only ones in our household) it kept bouncing, no matter how I pushed it down on my hips and the bottle bumping into my back bone. I ended up carrying the bottle.

"Almost first" lunchtime run (4K) in sticky heat. It was ok but I was tired in the pm.

Wahine
06-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I used to have that problem. Ultimately I had to switch to a camelback. Geeky, but much more comfortable.

This is the one I have:

http://www.fuelforadventure.com/hydrobak.html

chickwhorips
06-12-2007, 01:01 PM
i have one like this: http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/product.asp?path=Search&path=Camelbak&search_handle=A%3dCamelbak%7eB%3dCamelbak%7eC%3d3%7eD%3d9%7eE%3d1%5e1%5e2%5enum_Sort1%7eK%3d4%7eL%3d1%7eM%3d9%7eN%3d4%7e&scid=SearchResults&pf_id=PMMPAHGDFNEEMANJ&spoffset=2&s_id=0

Skierchickie
06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I love my Fuel Belt - no bouncing at all, very little sloshing, and the weight is distributed around your waist. Mine has 3 small fluid bottles (the equivalent of one large water bottle), and a gel flask. There are models that have more bottles, and some have a little pouch for keys and snacks and stuff. It was great for marathon training the past 2 years, although a model with more bottles would be good for really long runs (I try to plan my routes so I can refill at some point).

kelownagirl
06-12-2007, 04:19 PM
So the key to this question is how hard was this person running? The only way to know the answer is to know what this person's lactate threshold is. This can be done with a VO2 max test, or it can be simulated with the help of a friend on a track test.
I would guess that this person was running above their lactate threshold. When you do this you are expending more energy than you're body can produce with aerobic metabolism and you will produce lactic acid. Without flushing the lactate out after the race, there will be inflammation and painful tension in the muscles the following day. That's one theory anyway. The other theory is that the pain has nothing to do with lactic acid and that the pain and inflammation comes from small tears in the muscle fibres. I think it's a combination. So what can you do to ease it...

I suspect you are right. I was running over my theoretical max HR for the last km, and approx. 95% of max for the last 2km. (I had estimated my max HR at 185 on the bike but I reached 193 during the race. I know that bike and running HR zones can be different.) You are also right when you say, this is a race, so it's probably ok to work at that zone and then expect "discomfort" the next day or so. I've only been running for 2-1/2 months so I would also expect that this will improve as I run more and build up endurance. Yeah, my age is a factor as well ;)

I'm glad to know it's ok to run that hard once in awhile. Most of the time, I am more reasonable but I do like to push myself sometimes. :o

Thanks for the recovery suggestions. I will try all of it next time. Do you have any thoughts about stuff like sportleggs or e-caps etc?

tattiefritter
06-13-2007, 01:15 AM
i have one like this: http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/product.asp?path=Search&path=Camelbak&search_handle=A%3dCamelbak%7eB%3dCamelbak%7eC%3d3%7eD%3d9%7eE%3d1%5e1%5e2%5enum_Sort1%7eK%3d4%7eL%3d1%7eM%3d9%7eN%3d4%7e&scid=SearchResults&pf_id=PMMPAHGDFNEEMANJ&spoffset=2&s_id=0

I have an older version of the Flashflo which was a massive improvement on trying to carry a bottle belt, I had similar problems to Alpine Rabbit. It carries about a litre of water easily (I've never managed to get more than that in it without wearing it over myself but that is probably my cack handed filling approach), carries keys, space for gels, small jacket etc. Once its set up its comfy and doesn't bounce really, the only draw back of mine is that its obviously designed for a man as its quite large and I am at the limit of being able to cinch it in, particularly when empty. I'm a UK size 12 (US 10 I think) so fairly average, if I was smaller I'd really struggle with it. The link that chickwhorips posted above looks more "girlie" so they may have made it more small woman suitable.

Wahine
06-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Do you have any thoughts about stuff like sportleggs or e-caps etc?

I don't use them myself so I'm not sure. I do know a lot of people who do. i would say it's worth trying out.

Kimmyt
06-13-2007, 10:29 AM
3.15 miles today during lunch in 34 minutes. I hate the treadmill.

Tonight is packet pickup for the 5 mile race, and someone in my swim class told me that the course is really hilly. Great. Thanks, I reeeeally wanted to know that! Now for the next two days I'll freak out about imaginary hills!

:p

alpinerabbit
06-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Aaaaand another 10K group run.

Boy, it was hilly today!:eek:

There was one major and then at least 3 other ascents, one even a long flight of stairs. I was not talking anymore. I had to fight a bit but I held up.

And it was rather warm and humid - I am getting used to it!

HappyAnika
06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
50 min. this am before work. 55 degrees to start, 65 at end. I've decided to stop figuring out my distance on my slow runs because it depresses me. However I was happy that I got to a new part of the trail this morning that I'd never been to before since I had to keep going 25 min before I turned around. Also, I think my body might finally be getting used to this running thing. Usually at exactly 28 min. my legs stage a minor protest, they want to be done (coupled with some minor knee pain from problematic old surgery knee). However there was no such protest today, I ran right through. Looked down at my watch at 38 min, thinking the protest was late, but it never came. Yay! :)

HillSlugger
06-14-2007, 11:37 AM
I did my regular 3.4 mile run yesterday but took it pretty easy. I have my first ever race on Saturday (5k) and I'm trying to save my effort for that. Maybe I can get under 9 minutes per mile again!

HillSlugger
06-14-2007, 11:47 AM
So the water belt - is crrrr@p (so far anyway) - coupled with a full size bottle (only ones in our household) it kept bouncing, no matter how I pushed it down on my hips and the bottle bumping into my back bone. I ended up carrying the bottle.

I have this belt (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=15418). The bottle it comes with is cr@p but a standard 210z bottle fits well. If I keep the belt fairly tight it doesn't bounce, but it has a tendency to shift towards the right side of my back but this actually makes it easier to get the bottle out. If you're left handed you may be SOL. The pocket is big enough for ID, a small cell phone, and a small keyring.

chickwhorips
06-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I was able to walk/run yesterday for 3.3 miles with no foot discomfort!!!! :D

Only up to 45 sec run/ 45 sec walk, but I'm happy to be out!

rocknrollgirl
06-14-2007, 02:17 PM
:( Ran from sadness this morning.... 4 miles, as fast as I could, but the sadness caught me.

Veronica
06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I ran bases yesterday in our annual staff vs students softball game. Let's see, I scored three runs, so maybe 1/8 of a mile? I was right field, so I also ran after the ball a few times. :cool:

Those straight up sprints are tough on a non runner! I could really feel my quads when I did the standing climbs in Uphill Grind today.

V.

KSH
06-14-2007, 07:10 PM
1h 5m
6.00 miles
10m 50s /mile

There were black clouds in the sky so I opted to run on a treadmill. Of course, no rain- sigh.

Oh well, I used my time wisely on the treadmill and I focused on increasting my pace on each mile, ending with a 10 minute mile.

Overall a good run. My legs are a little tight in the back, but since I'm working harder on running faster, it's to be expected I suppose.

KSH
06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
:( Ran from sadness this morning.... 4 miles, as fast as I could, but the sadness caught me.

Sorry to hear about the sadness. I may have missed why you are sad... but sorry to hear it. *Hugs*

kelownagirl
06-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Hugs to Rocknrollgirl.... Some parts of life are just so hard...

I did 5k today. Was going to do 6-7 but my knee started to hurt so I figured I'd better pack it in for today.

tattiefritter
06-15-2007, 04:07 AM
No running since Monday due to what I thought was my hip. A visit to the chiro and he says my hip joints are moving fine but he reckons there is some inflammation of the pubic bone and I should ice it :eek:

Its a lot better and I can at least walk normally now but not sure I will be doing any running in the next week as I want to be able to walk comfortably on my NYC trip next weekend.

rocknrollgirl
06-15-2007, 04:31 AM
KSH...my Mom passed away Wed night.

Ruth

KSH
06-15-2007, 06:13 AM
KSH...my Mom passed away Wed night.

Ruth

Ruth, I am very sorry to hear this. This must be a very hard time for you. Forget running, unless it makes you feel better. Otherwise, it's OK to be sad and not move for awhile. *Hugs*

Wahine
06-15-2007, 11:39 AM

(((((((Ruth))))))))

The day after my Dad died I ran 2.5 hours straight. After not running at all for almost a month, and only once a week for a while before that. I don't know why I did it, I just did. I think that in the feeling of helplessness that comes at a time like this drives us to prove that we have control over something. Even if it's only how hard we can push ourselves.

Take care and be careful to not overtrain right now. It's an easy thing to do, to push yourself into that place of physical pain so the emotional pain isn't so acute. Hugs.

rocknrollgirl
06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Not to worry Yoda. I will take care of the body. I did the train yourself in to the ground rountine after my climbing partner was killed two years ago. I know better now.
You will all probably think I am awful, but I have a race next Sunday the
24th , and I plan to go. My mom was so excited about my racing and my biggest fan so I know that she would want me to go. And I want to go.

So I am going in to a taper week, and I will stick to that plan. We are not having her memorial until mid-week after the race, so it will a pretty quiet week coming up. I plan on putting some nice stuff together for her service, pictures and poems. So a week of healing and rest is on tap.

Thanks,
Ruth

kelownagirl
06-17-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't think you're awful RNRgirl - you need to do what's right for you. Have a peaceful week and more hugs to you and your family.

I did my longest run today - 7.2km. Not exactly sure how long it took because I hit the clear button on my watch instead of stop, but guessing from the last time I looked at it, I was doing about a 6 min k as usual.

I want to stay on relatively flat land right now and I don't feel like driving anywhere so I have been running around the block (.9k per trip). It was ok when I was running short distances and did 3-5 laps but today I did 8 laps and people who were working in their yards must have been getting tired of seeing me.

I tried out my ipod again and so far, I can only find one song that is the right tempo so I ended up putting it on repeat and listening to "What I like about you" for the entire 40+ minutes. Good thing I like that song. :D

Kimmyt
06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Longest run ever this past Friday, at a local(ish) race. Two laps of a somewhat hilly course for a grand total of.... 5 miles. I know, it's not much, but considering last October I was barely running one!

I had an okay time, in that I stayed right around the average pace I'd been training at, even though it was a longer than usual distance and with hills. So yeah.

5 miles, official time: 48:40, 9:44 pace, 802/1050 total (haha)

It was rather depressing to have the winners come across the finish line right after I'd passed it for my first lap (ah well)

Today did a short, 2.59 run after a fight with The Boy. We ran a bit faster than usual, I think cause I was pissed off and didn't want to talk to him. Ran at a 9:30 pace.

I'm 1/4 of the way to my 100-mile goal for the summer, and the tri is next week, so I'll probably do only one normal run on Tuesday, with maybe a short run on Monday following my bike just to get one more Brick in.

It has been freaking hot recently around here!

Jolt
06-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Did a 40-minute combination of road and trail running this afternoon (not sure of the distance, but somewhere between 5k and 4 miles based on my usual pace). I was hanging out at my church's summer camp, and I had noticed a sign for the Midstate Trail (a 92-mile hiking trail that goes from north to south through central Massachusetts) along a road near the camp, so today I decided to check it out since I hadn't been on that section before. I tried to get one of my friends who was also at the camp to go with me since she runs as well, but she wasn't in the mood (maybe next time). It took me a bit to pick up the trail because I misread the sign and went the wrong way initially, but I figured that out and turned around to go the other way and then saw the yellow triangles indicating the trail. It was a nice section for running, with some rolling hills but nothing ridiculous. Given how warm the weather was, it was also nice being in the shade rather than in full sun as usually happens on roads. There were some spots that were a bit overgrown but fortunately not with poison ivy! I got back to camp and it started raining a few minutes later, so I was accused of bringing it back with me :) . At least the rain didn't last long--it was done by the time I finished swimming in the lake to cool off.

rocknrollgirl
06-18-2007, 02:37 AM
Hi,
I did a 33 min run off the bike today. Kimmy is not kidding, it was HOT. I did an hour all out mt biking and then the brick run. Good, just hot.