PDA

View Full Version : 24-hours of Adrenalin - 8 hour Solo

Adventure Girl
06-11-2007, 07:58 AM
I have raced the 24-hours of Adrenalin 3 times in the past. I was on a 5-man coed team for 2 years. And last year I raced on a 9-man corporate team.

24-hours of Adrenalin is a 24-hour mountain bike race done either solo or as a relay team. They also have a class for 8-hours solo. As a relay team, one member rides a lap, and then he hands off to another. Soloists ride lap after lap usually without rest. The winner of each class is the rider or team who finishes the most laps in 24 hours.

Each year I had a really good time with my friends on relay teams. But I wanted to try something different this year. I decided to train for and enter the 8-hour solo class. Cliff, a friend from my former team also raced 8-hour solo. It was nice to have someone to train and commiserate with! So over the past 6 months or so, I rode many, many laps of the course. My race goal was 5 laps. I was pretty sure I was capable of this. I trained hard. I worked on nutrition, hydration and pace. I felt I was ready.

OK… Friday night before the race, I talked to the trail manager about the course. He told me that they added about a mile to the route. Oh boy! I did some quick calculations. 5 laps was going to be tougher, but still possible. The problem is that I had never ridden this new section before. I had no idea what to expect.

Saturday morning the race started. The new section was incredible. It had a treacherous downhill section (LOTS of falls) and a very difficult, technical climb. It added about 15 minutes per lap, but more significantly, it took soooo much energy. After lap two, it was clear to me that I was not going to be able to finish 5 laps in 8 hours.

My husband, Robert was my crew chief (also known as my PIT B!TCH). He and several of my friends were ready for me after each lap. They fed me, changed my camelbak, lubed my bike, massaged my calf, and sent me back out for more torture! I couldn’t have done it without them!!!

Race results… 4 laps, 3 falls, many bruises and scrapes, 1 VERY tired crew, and 2nd place women’s solo 8-hour division. It was the hardest thing I have ever done on a bicycle. I am very happy I did it. I’m glad it’s over. The feeling of accomplishment is huge. And I will NEVER do it again!

spokewench
06-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Congrats - That kind of racing is really hard - You did great!

Adventure Girl
06-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Robert is an avid motorcyclist and a former motorcycle racer. He posted this on one of his motorcyclist forums. His post is so much better than mine...

After racing for decades then retiring to do only trackdays I have had my fair share on the track side of the fence. This last weekend I worked on the other side of the fence. I have done this before working with several disciplines of riders and drivers in the AMA, SCCA and AFM. However this weekend it was different. I was crew chief for another Haas.

Lisa raced in the "24 Hours of adrenalin" at Laguna Seca this weekend. She raced in the Solo class in the shorter yet unbelievably difficult 8 hour race. My duties were light to say the least. filling camel backs(Dual bladder system with Cylomax in one and Water in the other). Preparing food and having fresh gloves ready for each lap. I also had minor mechanical work like a quick wipe and lube of the chain and with a hearty thumbs up send her back out for another 13 mile loop. The course was the most difficult they have ever laid out with an additional 1000 feet of climbing added the day before the race. Lisa had been training on the "announced" course for several months and had her laps worked out to the minute, however with the change in the course all her preparation went south. She is a trooper and went out on the course and I could see her anxiety not knowing what lay in wait for her and the rest of the grid.

She had 2 pretty heavy falls on the new section and returned on her first lap battered, but ready to go out for the second. I felt so helpless not being able to do anything to help her, just give her a kiss and send her back out to what must be sheer torture. Every lap she returned a little more battered and obviously tired, however always smiling and determined to not give up. Around the pits it was a different story with riders dropping out, some not even returning to the pits but being picked up on the course and brought back in the sag wagon or worse, in the ambulances that kept disappearing with their red lights flashing way to frequently for my comfort. Hours dragged by and as the end of the race drew near it was like the Bataan death march. Riders would return with a haggard face and thousand yard stare not responding to questions asked rapid fire style by their support teams. But not Lisa, every lap she pedaled into the pit with a tired body but a happy demeanor. On her final lap Several of her friends and I waited at the bottom of the Bosch bridge and cheered for her as she finished her lap. The track layout has the riders do a 1/3rd of a mile loop before crossing the finish line and she spun on around while I stood at the finish line with a camcorder to capture the final moments of the most difficult thing she has ever done. She wobbled across the line with her legs shaking from the punishment of the last 8 hours and I had a difficult time keeping her in the view finder as the tears in my eyes from witnessing such a huge accomplishment was more then I could bare.

I have been lucky enough to taste the glory of victory in my racing career. I have never felt this kind of joy as witnessing Lisa's monumental accomplishment. It pales everything I have ever done.

She out performed many of the men and finished on the podium with a second place finish in her first and I hope last 8 hour solo. Damn I am so proud of her

Trekhawk
06-11-2007, 08:09 AM
I have raced the 24-hours of Adrenalin 3 times in the past. I was on a 5-man coed team for 2 years. And last year I raced on a 9-man corporate team.

24-hours of Adrenalin is a 24-hour mountain bike race done either solo or as a relay team. They also have a class for 8-hours solo. As a relay team, one member rides a lap, and then he hands off to another. Soloists ride lap after lap usually without rest. The winner of each class is the rider or team who finishes the most laps in 24 hours.

Each year I had a really good time with my friends on relay teams. But I wanted to try something different this year. I decided to train for and enter the 8-hour solo class. Cliff, a friend from my former team also raced 8-hour solo. It was nice to have someone to train and commiserate with! So over the past 6 months or so, I rode many, many laps of the course. My race goal was 5 laps. I was pretty sure I was capable of this. I trained hard. I worked on nutrition, hydration and pace. I felt I was ready.

OK… Friday night before the race, I talked to the trail manager about the course. He told me that they added about a mile to the route. Oh boy! I did some quick calculations. 5 laps was going to be tougher, but still possible. The problem is that I had never ridden this new section before. I had no idea what to expect.

Saturday morning the race started. The new section was incredible. It had a treacherous downhill section (LOTS of falls) and a very difficult, technical climb. It added about 15 minutes per lap, but more significantly, it took soooo much energy. After lap two, it was clear to me that I was not going to be able to finish 5 laps in 8 hours.

My husband, Robert was my crew chief (also known as my PIT B!TCH). He and several of my friends were ready for me after each lap. They fed me, changed my camelbak, lubed my bike, massaged my calf, and sent me back out for more torture! I couldn’t have done it without them!!!

Race results… 4 laps, 3 falls, many bruises and scrapes, 1 VERY tired crew, and 2nd place women’s solo 8-hour division. It was the hardest thing I have ever done on a bicycle. I am very happy I did it. I’m glad it’s over. The feeling of accomplishment is huge. And I will NEVER do it again!

Congratulations AG!!!!! What a wonderful accomplishment. This adventure gives you MAJOR bragging rights.

LOL about never doing it again. You know what they say after all the hard stuff starts to fade in your memory you will be planning something else.:D

snapdragen
06-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Congratulations Lisa!!! That is so cool, you are awesome! Robert's write-up made me a tad misty eyed!:D What a great guy you've got.

RoadRaven
06-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Well impressed with your grit and determination

A place in a race like this is something to be very proud of

Thanks for the race report, I enjoyed reading it :)

jobob
06-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Good lord!! So that's what you've been up to?!? :eek:

Wow. wow. I am awed. :cool:

SadieKate
06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Oh man, no wonder you love your cheerleader hubby. ;)

Congratulations! I've been on pins and needles wanting to know the result. I'm so happy for you I have to go find another kleenex.

bikerz
06-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Lisa - what an amazing accomplishment! Robert's write up was wonderful (I'm with snap - a little misty-eyed! :o )

Well done! Any chance of posting the video on You-tube?

Congratulations!

LBTC
06-11-2007, 04:40 PM
AG, you ROCK! I bow down before you and send you many happy excited, refreshing butterflies!

You should be as proud of you as the rest of us are!

Oh, and just to warn you, my DH has retired from 24 hour relay racing every time he's raced.....you know what I mean. Don't be surprised if you change your mind to do it all over again!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

aka_kim
06-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Oh, awesome!!! What a wonderful accomplishment. Add me to the list of those a little teary-eyed over Adventure Boy's writeup. You both rock.

velogirl
06-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Hey, AG! You and I met on Saturday. I'm trying to remember where -- in the restroom? Hmmm. You had just finished and told me about your race. I was racing on the only 2-woman 24 hour team (we finished 4th, one lap down from 2nd and 3rd and beating one men's team). Cool to meet you and congratulations on your race! I'm considering the 8-hour solo for September (or maybe I'll just crew for my bf).

Veronica
06-12-2007, 06:20 PM
You rock girl! That's awesome. And I also loved Robert's write up.

I want to give both of you a big hug!

V.

dirtygirl1
06-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Nice work on your race at Leguna Seca! Sounds like it was a rough course?

I did my firsst 24 hr solo this year myself and it's a lot of work and a load of fun! I am planning to do World's 24 hr Solo there this fall and would love some course/trail insights. Any course insights you can pass on?

Tri Girl
06-27-2007, 11:31 AM
WOW! :eek: I can't imagine how hard that must've been!! 4 13 mile killer loops??? Yowzer! Congrats on a great finish and an incredible race (and for placing- yippee)!!! Thanks for posting your report, and Robert's report- he has such love for you, you can just tell it touched him as much as you!

you're simply amazing...

and we MUST see that video he took!

Adventure Girl
06-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Hey, AG! You and I met on Saturday. I'm trying to remember where -- in the restroom? Hmmm. You had just finished and told me about your race. I was racing on the only 2-woman 24 hour team (we finished 4th, one lap down from 2nd and 3rd and beating one men's team). Cool to meet you and congratulations on your race! I'm considering the 8-hour solo for September (or maybe I'll just crew for my bf).That was you?! Small world! When we were talking I was just so happy to be finished and I knew the 24-hour folks like you had 16 more hours to go!

I don't know if they are going to have an 8-hour class in September. But I did hear that the May/June 2008 course will be back to the "old" course (without the "extra fun" section they added this year).

Adventure Girl
06-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Nice work on your race at Leguna Seca! Sounds like it was a rough course?

I did my firsst 24 hr solo this year myself and it's a lot of work and a load of fun! I am planning to do World's 24 hr Solo there this fall and would love some course/trail insights. Any course insights you can pass on?I think 24-hour solo is insane! But everyone has her own idea of "normal".

I ride this area all the time but the World's 24 Solo in September will be a brand new course, so I can't be much help with trail insights until the announce the course. I talked to Tommy Bryant (the trail manager) and he said that nothing is confirmed until the BLM people approve the route. I just hope they don't wait until the last minute to post a map! I've heard rumors of 16-mile lap.:eek:

dirtygirl1
06-29-2007, 10:47 AM
I think 24-hour solo is insane! But everyone has her own idea of "normal".

I ride this area all the time but the World's 24 Solo in September will be a brand new course, so I can't be much help with trail insights until the announce the course. I talked to Tommy Bryant (the trail manager) and he said that nothing is confirmed until the BLM people approve the route. I just hope they don't wait until the last minute to post a map! I've heard rumors of 16-mile lap.:eek:

16 miles, hey? then it will likely be a 'fast' course. The one I did was in Spokane and was a 15 mile loop but it was a 'fast' course and I maintained an average speed of 11miles/hr on the bike. We'll see. Keep me posted and thanks for the response!

bouncybouncy
06-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Awesome report! Sounds like you tackled quite a techy course...that takes courage in its own!

I was on a 4 person team at a 12 hour course that sent numerous people to the hospital (one even in a heli-vac) a few weeks ago...scary!!! I did my first solo this last weekend on what I thought was a relatively flat course and it sent me scouring the web for more in my area :eek: I found one on a more techy course...oh my!!! I think I may be addicted!!!!

...and your hubby's response about "never again".....hehehe!!!!

mimitabby
06-29-2007, 11:42 AM
I am glad to read your husband's post too, because i didn't quite "get it" from yours. 8 hours and second place! that's awesome. congrats!

smilingcat
06-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Idyllwild area right ?? OMG!!! I wasn't sure so I was checking with someone who did the team relay about 3 years ago. He came back battered, bruised and sore.

Congratulation on riding solo for 8 LLL--OOO---NN---GGGG hours. Hard enough on a paved road but on a mtn bike. yeek :eek: :eek:

much hand clapping and cheering,

Smilingcat