PDA

View Full Version : Manayunk Hill Climb!

NJBikeGal
06-11-2007, 06:55 AM
A big congrats to TE's very own, OhMySpokes who took 2nd in the Manayunk Hill Climb! I told you I'd be there hooting and hollaring! Nice job, Kristy! Way to rock that 22% grade!

ohmyspokes
06-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Too funny! Thanks sooo much for cheering me on. Your girl Liz really rocked it.

I think I was on my 19 in the back at the steepest point. By the time I realized, it was too late to shift, so I had to try to really muscle it up there. Lesson learned for next year.

Thanks for the photo. I have ones my gf took before and after, but accidentally deleted the ones where I was actually riding.

equus123
06-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Too funny! Thanks sooo much for cheering me on. Your girl Liz really rocked it.

I think I was on my 19 in the back at the steepest point. By the time I realized, it was too late to shift, so I had to try to really muscle it up there. Lesson learned for next year.

Thanks for the photo. I have ones my gf took before and after, but accidentally deleted the ones where I was actually riding.

Your 19?! :eek: Ouch. Sure the quads loved you after that one! :p

Congratulations though, that's fantastic.

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 07:34 AM
wow! cool ride. How many times did you have to go up and down?

Eden
06-11-2007, 08:06 AM
I've read about this one - its once and once sounds like enough, but of course this is the same Manayunk "wall" that is on the US Pro circuit race and that means doing it more than once ( ugh 10 times ) if you are in that race..

ohmyspokes
06-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Your 19?! :eek: Ouch. Sure the quads loved you after that one! :p

Congratulations though, that's fantastic.

Yeah, and my arms and glutes, too.

My stomach, however, was happy it was over because I had been avoiding solid food since lunch. I got changed, watched the rest, and promptly hit a burrito joint to devour a thing the size of my head in a matter of minutes, if not seconds.

Thanks!

ohmyspokes
06-11-2007, 08:50 AM
wow! cool ride. How many times did you have to go up and down?

Like Eden said, just once. Two minutes, five seconds and it was over.

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Can someone please tell me what happens on a hill like this if you are clipped in (I have SPD's) and you cannot go forward anymore; like it's too steep??

thank you. :o

Kimmyt
06-11-2007, 01:07 PM
fall down go boom

:D

nice job ohmyspokes!!

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 01:46 PM
uh, there's no alternative?
:confused: :eek:

chickwhorips
06-11-2007, 01:49 PM
good job! very nice picture!!!

mimi- after you fall down and go boom like kimmy said, then you say ouch :eek:

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 01:53 PM
um, you guys aren't helping! Since the time I fell over going up a steep hill i didn't have enough momentum for,
I've been afraid of them.

Maybe a different kind of pedal would be better?

chickwhorips
06-11-2007, 02:02 PM
oh sorry mimi. as many times as i've fallen these last couple of weeks, i've become "one with the ground" though i know its the gearing on my bike... well i don't have really any gearing on my bike. maybe that's the problem. need to get that taken care of.

otherwise. when i figure out i'm starting to slow down, i clipout. or if i know i might have problems, i clip out and try to make it as far as i can. does that help?

sorry for the hijack.

Eden
06-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Can someone please tell me what happens on a hill like this if you are clipped in (I have SPD's) and you cannot go forward anymore; like it's too steep??

thank you. :o

If it gets too steep for you to go straight up - "paperboy" - go side to side across and up the hill to cut the grade a bit - like skiing in reverse. If it really does get too steep you can with some practice get out of your pedals and get a foot on the ground without tipping, but if you are wobbly it is likely you will fall... Slippery cleats won't help - recessed mt bike ones are pretty safe.
There's a hill I've been dying to go and try out again over on Vashon Island. A surveyor told us that its 26% :eek: and with my old bike it was steep enough that I couldn't keep my front wheel down on the ground and had to stop - I'm thinking my new better fitting bike (I can get over the front of it much better) and improved fitness I'll be able to make it up the thing now.
The hubby and I did some "impossible" hills in the area up above Issaquah yesterday - a coworker of his claimed they were too steep to ride a bike up, so of course we had to go and ride them.... we took pictures to prove it. I'm not sure how steep they were, but they were pretty good ones. Definitely not impossible.

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Eden post the pictures!

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
oh, and Eden, send me the addresses, we can calculate how steep they are with s/w that is online now!

spokewench
06-11-2007, 03:10 PM
uh, there's no alternative?
:confused: :eek:

Dig Deep - Stand Up and push till you think you are going to die - then fall over, go boom and say "ouch"!:D

Just joking Mimi - you will surprise yourself sometimes if you just don't give up, i.e. think you can't do it!

Eden
06-11-2007, 03:21 PM
The photos aren't too impressive - more to prove we were there and we rode up the hills... (they are SE 48th Dr and SE 49th St in Bellevue - kind of parallel streets back in a cul de sac ridden housing development) I'd love to plug them into the software and see just how steep they really are (and the one on Vashon too!)

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 03:37 PM
check out "Mapmyrun.com"

Eden
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM
oh boy - the grades are all over the place depending on how I try to put the points in... I think I'd have to actually measure them. We have an inclinometer somewhere, but we didn't take it with us yesterday. I'm guessing the grades were up in the 20's at least.