PDA

View Full Version : I did it! I rode to work!

RoseC
06-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Kinda continued from here:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=15907

I bike commuted! Well...just a dry run - today being Sunday. But it only took just over an hour each way, which is good, IMO. It's just over 14 miles each way, and the way back was a little painful - if there had been just *one* more hill, I don't think I'd have made it. But I did it! Without being smooshed! Today was my first real day of riding on the roads, so I was a little scared about that. :D

Actually, when I got to the final MUP section before work, I was surprised to find that I almost missed the bike lane. It was nice and quiet on the path, but on the other hand, I had to keep stopping for road crossings and pedestrians and dogs and all. Not a big deal, but it did mean I couldn't just *ride*. I think it required more awareness of my surroundings than the bike lane did, which was a little bit of a surprise.

I also ended up "taking the lane" at left hand turns, for the most part, instead of turning pedestrian as I'd planned. It just seemed simpler and less risky - I waited for a gap, jumped in line, and went. I don't know what it'd be like in heavier traffic, though.

I think it'll still be awhile before I'm ready to really commute. I have to figure out a strategy for getting my stuff to work - either ahead of time or on the bike - and I'm also a little unsure what traffic is like in the mornings. I've driven my route - more or less - a few times, but it's still hard to tell in the car vs. actually being on the bike.

I did it! I did it! I'm so pleased with myself! ;)

Sheesh
06-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Congrats! You're over the first hurdle - the mental challenge of actually getting on the bike and riding the ride. The rest, the logistics, are so much easier once you've got it in your brain that you can do it.

Kimmyt
06-11-2007, 05:08 AM
Congrats! Just so you know, it will get easier... a few months down the road you'll get faster and faster and then you'll start thinking about adding additional miles on to your commute home... :)

WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE

RoseC
06-11-2007, 06:47 AM
I still feel like I have a zillion little details to resolve before I actually do it for real. I wish there was some way to know what the traffic would be like without actually being *in* it, for one...but there's only so much I can simulate that.

And then there are things like...how do I carry my things? I guess I need a rack trunk or panniers.

Most importantly, what about coffee? :eek: I can buy coffee at work, but I'm rather fond of my little presspot and the way I make it myself! I guess I need a thermos.

And the list goes on...

But at least I know now that I won't get lost along the way! :)

Sheesh
06-11-2007, 07:01 AM
I keep a couple of pairs of shoes at work, in case I forget to bring a pair (or in case I don't have room) when I bike. I carry everything in a backpack (clothes go in a plastic grocery bag so my sweaty back doesn't get them wet). I tried the medium sized Timbuk2, but it just didn't hold everything as well as my backpack does.

I can't help you with the coffee part - I buy coffee at work.

Do you have a place to shower (and a locker to keep your shower stuff)? That makes things infinitely easier... if not, I know there are other women on here who keep baby wipes at their desks, etc.

Good luck figuring out the details! It's completely worth it! :D

onimity
06-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Hi Rose,

Congrats!

If it helps, I brought an extra set of my usual toiletries/makeup to the office and a camping towel that dries in no time at all. I bring clothes with me to work each day (don't forget the underwear!) and bring the towel home on weekends to wash. I am not a coffee drinker, but another bike commuter I know has a coffee cup holder on his handlebars (!) and another has a french press at the office so he makes coffee his way when he gets in... so there are plenty of solutions to that problem. :D

I think that you'll find that the distances and the traffic get easier as time goes on. That was my experience, at least.

Anne

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 07:39 AM
sometimes heavier traffic is easier because no one can move very fast.
Congrats and good luck!

Torrilin
06-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Congrats! That's a lot further than I can ride right now, so you're doing good.

I also find moderately heavy traffic easier. 3 out of 4 of today's near misses were in very light traffic (another bike ran a red, a car ran a red, and a car buzzed me while I was making a left turn on a residential street). The remaining near miss was a driver misjudging passing distances in heavy traffic. One guy out of at least 20+ drivers on that section of road is not bad at all.

spokewench
06-11-2007, 03:40 PM
It's really not that hard to get your stuff to work. What you should do first, is stock up your office with a soap, towel, etc. what you can bring with you when you drive in once a week. If you want your presspot coffee at work, just buy some ground coffee, get one of those camping press pots and make your coffee at work (stock all that stuff when you drive in once a week). When I go to work, I take a pair of shoes, top, bottoms, i.e. slacks, top or skirt and top, bra, underwear, wallet, stuff to change a flat tire, hairbrush, old lady glasses to see at work, keys for both home and work (i've forgotten the work ones when I went in early - what a pain!; and the home ones once when my husband was out of town! - what a pain!) in a pretty small back pack and that is how I go. If you have to lock your bike outside, don't carry your lock every day. The first time just take it with you in your car adn leave it locked to wherever you will lock your bike. Locks are heavy so you won't have to carry it back and forth. All this works fine with just a small back pack and a cheerful attitude never hurts to take along with you too.

spoke

Deborajen
06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Congratulations on the trial ride!

Be sure to inspect your bike the night before (tires, brakes, etc.) to minimize maintenance delays right before you head out. Also, I like to actually write out a "bike to work" checklist - house keys, cell phone, tire patching kit, tire pump, ID, clothes, lunch, etc. Revise it as you learn the "must haves" for your ride so you don't have to worry about remembering it all each time.

Good luck - enjoy the ride - let us know how it goes!

Deb

RoseC
06-11-2007, 05:17 PM
There's a shower at work - just one, but I don't think it's heavily used in the mornings. There are lockers in that room, too, though I have to figure out who to ask about getting one. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

Don't really have a place to heat water for the press pot, so I think I still need a thermos for coffee. But now I think about it, I have a backpack to use for carrying stuff, so that conundrum is solved. Might be nice to eventually have a rack trunk or some such thing, but I can save money for now.

I'm thinking I should probably stash extra underwear and shoes somewhere. I can just see forgetting one of those things...:eek:

There are still a few spots along the route that I'm nervous about - one place where the bike lane turns into a right turn lane, for example. There's a sign that says cars should yield to bikes, but... And then there are the left hand turn lanes. Taking the lane in light weekend traffic wasn't a big deal...doing it in the real world, where I'm likely to get yelled at...scares me. And I don't think any amount of weekend practice can really prep me. I have to practice in real conditions eventually.

But I'm closer. And man the drive home today seemed like a drag! The weather was a bit icky today, but even so...

RoseC
06-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Oh, and I like the camping towel idea! My LBS is actually part of a bigger outdoor outfitter shop - betcha I could pick one up there!

Melalvai
06-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Might be nice to eventually have a rack trunk or some such thing, but I can save money for now.
One great thing about commuting is instead of starting off with a fully loaded bike with a bunch of stuff you don't really need, you get to build it up bit by bit. Everything you put on there you really really need. The tough part is waiting until you can afford each bit!

Sheesh
06-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Don't get me wrong, the traffic part still scares the crap out of me sometimes. Especially stupid cabbies and buses. But, a little caution goes a long way towards keeping yourself safe - and eventually you learn to anticipate the stupid cabby turning in front of you because they ALWAYS turn in front of you. :rolleyes:

I also have found that traffic really does help with the left hand turn thing because they are usually either slowing down to turn left, or the light is red and they have to slow down to stop. In both cases, it's easier to wait for them to start to slow down, signal, check to make sure someone's going to let you in, and then take the lane (or change lanes, as the case may be). It gets easier with practice, I promise. ;)

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Python
06-12-2007, 06:58 AM
I commute to work too - doesn't it feel good:D

I put my office clothes in a backpack. I used to ride a motorbike too and have a backback that folds into a very small pack. It's made of lightweight nylon but is very strong. The brand name is Oxford. I don't know if you'd get that in America, but there should be equivalent ones. This one is good because it expands and holds absolutely loads. At work I wear a business suit and blouse. I make sure I buy crease-proof clothes. We don't have shower facilities or lockers so I just change in the ladies room. I carry a pack of Deodorising Wipes. ASDA-Walmart (what we call Walmart here in the UK) make their own brand and would cost less than $1. You could carry a micro-fibre towel as they pack down really small and they're lightweight too. I also carry a small roll-on anti-perspirant and a hairbrush. For makeup one of these little compacts that have all the essentials in them are great. I also have a pencil case and my calculator (daren't leave my calculator or my pens at work or they would sprout little legs and walk). Last but not least is my cycling cape which lives in the front pocket of my backpack. Definitely an essential piece of kit over here in the UK with our very changeable weather.

I find cycling to work boosts me for the rest of the day. I haven't commuted by bike this week. Hubby's car broke down so I had to give him a lift in. Tomorrow I'll be back on my bike though:D Once you get used to commuting by bike, you'll love it:D

Xrayted
06-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Congrats on commuting in. I think you will find your daily travel so much more enjoyable overall. I commute into my hospital whenever I can. (many of my days are 16 hours so I don't on those days) It's just under 7 miles for me, although we will be moving soon and then it will be around 10 hilly miles each way. I'm lucky that we have full locker rooms with showers, towels, soap, scrubs(I don't have to bring clothes)... just had to stock up on shampoo, comb, deodorant and yeah, extra undies. Can't go walking around in those thin OR scrubs with no undies. :eek:
They love it when we bike in. We actually have an incentive program to ride in. 35 rides gets you $50 in your pay. There are bike lockups everywhere, mostly in the parking garages. I see people/visitors with their bikes in the halls and in the elevators everywhere. Almost every employee area has a bike in it when you walk in. :D

On a side note, Python, I still love that bike of yours woman. What an incredible find. She is just beautiful. :cool:

Python
06-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Thakyou Xrayted:D She is a lovely bike:D I'm hoping to get my new bike next month (Specialized Dolce Elite) but will be keeping my Raleigh and still using her regularly:D

RoseC
06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I achieved the next step - I talked to the building management woman today and got a locker! Woo-hoo! Silly how excited I am about that...

I also drove an alternate route home yesterday. It would be more roads / less bike path, but about a mile shorter, I think. I think I may ride to work again on that road this weekend.

I saw a cyclist along the way that did something it would never occur to me to do - there was a lefthand turn lane, and she rode between the lanes to get right up next to the very first car in line and turned left when they did. It worked nicely, but I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do that! :eek:

So...I'm still taking my time, but getting closer. It's not a short distance, so a bit of extra training before I really commit is probably good for me.

pyxichick
06-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Rose,

Congratulations. You'll love it.

I just started commuting as well, and my route is also 14 miles each way. I found that since I have to leave at 6:30 in order to get to my desk by 8, the traffic is much lighter than I had expected. On the way home, it's a bit busier, but I try to make it a relaxing, enjoyable ride, and if necessary, take a longer way home to avoid the cars.

Have fun!

Kate:)

bikerHen
06-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Don't sweat the left turns. If you have to go with the crosswalk option, just do it. I'm on a four lane highway for the first intersection of my commute where I have to turn left. It's also the first stoplight coming into town. Can you say speeding cars and semi-trucks! It would be a death sentence if I tried to take the left turn lane. So I just cross, in the crosswalk, with the light, and hope I don't get hit by the right turning cars. :eek: I've been crossing this intersection this way for three years. I figure better safe than dead! bikerHen

dssynapse
07-13-2007, 02:54 PM
This was the very first thread I read in the forums, so I came back here to reply. I rode my bike to work this week! I got most, if not all, of the ideas how to make it feasible from the forum discussion. It's not a long commute at all -- only 6.5 miles each way -- but in Corpus Christi the humidity is almost 100% in the early morning with temperatures in the high 70's, so taking an easy ride to avoid sweating is out of the question. I work in a school administration building, and have to at least look decent, and there are no showers available. I don't care how I look after the ride home, but time is an issue and my ride home is typically into a 20 mph wind or more with "low" humidity of 60 to 70% and temps in the 90's.

I took everything I could think of in on Monday by car....baby wipes, facial wipes, make up, Shower to Shower powder, complete clothes in zip locks labeled by day, "back up" clothes, etc. I also took a week's worth of breakfast stuff and lunches.....much healthier, less money, and I didn't have to remember each day. On Wednesday I put a few additional things in after the Tuesday ride.....a small towel and small hair dryer. My hair was literally dripping with sweat by the time I got there on Tuesday.

So far so good! I'm comfortable riding in the dark to the office...I leave at 5:30 a.m. The headwind is uncomfortable in the evenings. This time of year I would typically ride the other direction first and have the wind behind me coming back....obviously not an option when commuting.

Thanks so much to all who have written posts that gave me both the ideas and confidence to start commuting. I really feel good about it.:p

coyote
07-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi dssynapse and welcome! Congrats on commuting! I've got the wind too...coming to work and on the way home. Usually isn't as bad as you have got it whew I'm exhausted with just the thought :)

Keep us informed on how its going,
Mary

AutumnBreez
07-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Ok, I just landed a new job that I could ride but it is 13 miles each way. My fear is that one of my kids will be sick/injured and I can't get to them quick enough. Once they are in school again. They are 13 and 15 years but crap happens. Suppose someone could give me a ride home??? kind of strange to have to ask though. Especially being new...gonna have to drive for a while to get to know situation. I will just have to find a way. Ask my neighbor who I trust to pick up if she is not substitute that day. She would help if I need. hmmmm. will have to figure it out cause I so want to do it. I can see myself in shape from it already!!!

deena
07-14-2007, 07:41 AM
RoseC - thanks for starting this thread - and congrats at biking to work! I love the advice from those of you who can bike commute everyday.

I started biking to work this summer. Two days a week I work at a site about 10 miles from home, so I bike there - my actual office is more like 20 miles and I'd have to work up to that.

This is a real treat for me. During the school year I have drop off/pick up kids at school, and after the ride in/out I'd have a three hour work day. :o

The best part of my communte is the stretch when the bike route goes under the jam-packed, motionless freeway that I'm not sitting in! :D

RoseC
07-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Cool to see this got revived!

I've been riding an average of about three days a week for the past three weeks. Last week I only managed two days, due to some things that were going on that meant I needed to be there really early or have long-distance wheels during the day.

It's funny, but I find that the days go by faster on the days I ride in, even though I'm actually at work earlier. Don't know why!

I've gotten pretty comfortable with my route, and really haven't had any problems EXCEPT for last time I rode. About halfway home I had my first real on-bike encounter with a moron driver.

The one part of the trip where I *have* to ride with cars is a little bridge. It’s less than forty feet long, at a guess. Possibly shorter. There’s a bike lane right up to the bridge, and one right on the other side, but just before I get to it, I have to merge into traffic. There are signs all over warning both cyclists and drivers about it, and since it’s at the bottom of a hill either way and I’m usually going twenty or twenty-five in a thirty-five mph zone, it’s usually not too big a deal - drivers are usually good about letting me in when I signal, and being patient about slowing to twenty for FORTY #(&#in’ FEET! But that day, there was a kid who couldn’t deal.

So...with on-coming traffic, on a NARROW bridge, he decides to split lanes and attempt to drive between me and the other lane, which doesn’t work, so he swerves at the on-coming driver and then back at me. The other driver honked, and by gosh, if I coulda, I woulda. He came closer to hitting the other car than to hitting me. Dunno if I can rejoice much in that, though.

By the time I got over the bridge and back to the side, he was getting ready to attempt to pass a truck he couldn’t see past. So apparently he was just an all-around moron, and not just one who hates cyclists. Grrr...

I'm kind of nervous about getting back on the bike after that. But I will. I'd miss it too much if I didn't!

sandra
07-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm new to the forum. I'm totally embarrassed to say that I only live about 2 miles from work, but I would be scared to ride to work. It is the busiest 2 miles I can imagine in my town! :eek:

Congratulations to you on your accomplishment!

RoseC
07-14-2007, 05:17 PM
By the way, congrats on joining the club, dssynapse! I'm still figuring out what things I really need at work and which things are not really necessary. I hadn't thought of a hairdryer, but after a few days of riding, I picked one up - it does make it easier, no? I have relatively short hair, and I'm finding it seems to work best if, after showering at home, once I get to work I damp it a bit if needed (in your heat and humidity, not needed! :eek:) , add a little gel, and then blow dry for a few minutes. Eliminates helmet head. :D

dellafalls
07-15-2007, 08:41 AM
I also am a coffee in the morning gal! I get everything ready the night before, roll out of bed and onto my bike! By the time I get to work 40min later I am just waking up. I grab a coffee the minute I get in the door to reward myself!. I also pack my clothes with me, but leave tolietries and towel at work and shower there. I love the way it makes me feel.