PDA

View Full Version : New to the board and to cycling

slinkedog
08-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Hi there! I've been checking out this board for about a week now and have decided to take the plunge and join in the conversation!

I'm new to biking (I'm strictly a roadie so far), but my husband has been cycling for years. He rode for his college team and did road and velodrome racing. He went to the Olympic trials in 1996 and rode the points race, but didn't make the team. So, he's my coach. We got me a nice little ride (Specialized Roubaix Elite) and I'm still getting used to clipless pedals, but I'm getting there. I've fallen a few times and am still pretty nervous riding in traffic, which is unavoidable as we live in a heavily populated area.

I'm looking forward to asking lots of questions and hopefully, someday, being able to answer a few with some modicum of intelligence!! :)

Shannon

caligurl
08-30-2004, 08:01 AM
welcome to cycling and welcome to the board!

slinkedog
08-31-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks! This is a great board and a wonderful resource!! :)

Biking Chick
08-31-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by slinkedog
Hi there! I've been checking out this board for about a week now and have decided to take the plunge and join in the conversation!
Shannon

Welcome to the board Shannon!

Cindy

Twice Daily
09-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by slinkedog
I'm still getting used to clipless pedals, but I'm getting there. I've fallen a few times...

Don't feel bad, I ride to and from work almost everyday and I fell today in front of a car at a stoplight...I don't think I'll ever be used to clipless pedals!! I swear I have a perma-bruise on each knees!

It's cool that your husband is your coach...my boyfriend (practically husband) used to be pro, not to the extent that your husband was, and it's nice to have a trainer right in the house! I especially like that my bike gets worked on whenever it needs it...I can change a flat and all the basics, but it's great to have my boyfriend around when a cable needs to be replaced and such...

spazzdog
09-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Fell last weekend... brain cramp! And I've used clipless since 1990.

spazzdog

slinkedog
09-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! I get so worked up worrying about clipping out that I swear I'm aerobic before I really get going!! ;)

My husband and I were in Napa a few weeks ago for our anniversary and rode the Silverado trail... beautiful ride! On our way back into town, we were stopping to turn left at a light and I got clipped out, but was leaning the wrong way and went over like a chopped tree. Luckily, my husband saw the whole thing (he was right in front of me) and was able to help me up and out of the way of traffic quickly. It was pretty embarrassing!!

And yes, it is great to have hubby there to help me with my bike and give lots of pointers. And to answer racing questions when we're watching cycling events on tv!! :)