PDA

View Full Version : Biking and an episiotomy

tricanada
06-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Two weeks ago I had a baby and along with it came a third degree episiotomy (18 stitches). The good news is the baby is healthy. I had hoped to resume riding as quickly as possible - this was before I knew what 18 stitches would feel like! I swam, biked and ran throughout my pregnancy and my doctor fully supports me resuming my activities based on how I feel.

My question is what are some of your experiences or words of wisdom as to when I can realistically expect to get back in the saddle. I have a tri and a road bike, if positioning makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Cindyloo
06-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I haven't had any children but I do know what an episiotomy is and just reading the title of the thread made my butt draw up :eek: . Congrats on the new baby!!!

margo49
06-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Congratulations! You have a healthy baby and the how-it-came-out is irrelevant and will become even moreso (less-so??) as time passes.

I have pm'd you (as a veteran of 2 episiotomies and a tear on the birth of ds#2 - it's a tapestry Down There I can tell you even tho' I haven't looked at it since the first one and I fainted. But you are prob'ly made of sterner stuff)

BleeckerSt_Girl
06-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I haven't had any children but I do know what an episiotomy is and just reading the title of the thread made my butt draw up :eek: . Congrats on the new baby!!!

What she said.
The words "biking" and "episiotomy" should not be used in the same sentence! :eek: :eek:

Hope you heal fast! If it were me I would wait at least 6 weeks for the tissue to heal completely, and then I'd take it real s-l-o-w....

Trekhawk
06-10-2007, 01:24 PM
What she said.
The words "biking" and "episiotomy" should not be used in the same sentence! :eek: :eek:

Hope you heal fast! If it were me I would wait at least 6 weeks for the tissue to heal completely, and then I'd take it real s-l-o-w....

Im with Lisa take it real slow. I have three kids and can list one episiotomy, one tear and one emergency c section to the list. I wasnt biking at that stage so I cannot tell you how long before you will be back on the bike. I did however get a great tip from one of the nurses and it was to dry the area after showers with my hairdryer. It really helped.

Sending wishes for a speedy healing process.:)

xeney
06-11-2007, 03:33 PM
(WHY DID I READ THIS THREAD? I saw the title, knew I should not read it, and read it anyway. No woman who is eight months pregnant needs to be thinking about bicycle saddles and episiotomies at the same time.)

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I agree with the 6 weeks!
that's a lot of stitches!
you've had a major tear. PLEASE don't be in such a hurry.

Trekhawk
06-11-2007, 05:25 PM
(WHY DID I READ THIS THREAD? I saw the title, knew I should not read it, and read it anyway. No woman who is eight months pregnant needs to be thinking about bicycle saddles and episiotomies at the same time.)

Dont worry I know plenty of women who have given birth and required not a single stitch. I just wasn't one of them unfortunately.:(

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 06:33 PM
yeah, right. i had one stitch for boy #1 and none for boy #2 who had an enormous head.

Like I said, this is exceptional. I hope you heal quickly, but particularly after your first born, there are some incredible inner bruising (felt like bone bruises to me)

singletrackmind
06-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Wow, I never thought I'd say "YAY emergency c-section" but there you have it.

Take it easy already, you've kept up on everything so yeah, you might lose a little but it should come back quickly. Heck, being so sleep deprived you're hallucinating will affect you more than anything else anyway. :D

Welcome to the world of compromise and lots of giving. As I learned to say during the early parts, there'll be time for bike rides later, this is more important. :)

Grog
06-11-2007, 07:50 PM
I have no personal experience on any of those matters, but I can imagine you're itching to go back on the bike. If a regular bike is not an option (and I would also err on the side of a 6-week period, but I'm neither a doctor not a survivor), maybe a recumbent-style bike would allow you to get the bike-muscles moving without messing up the healing tissues? Can recumbent-owners chime in?

mimitabby
06-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Wow, I never thought I'd say "YAY emergency c-section" but there you have it.

Take it easy already, you've kept up on everything so yeah, you might lose a little but it should come back quickly. Heck, being so sleep deprived you're hallucinating will affect you more than anything else anyway. :D

Welcome to the world of compromise and lots of giving. As I learned to say during the early parts, there'll be time for bike rides later, this is more important. :)

um were you able to ride 2 weeks after your c-section?!?! :eek:

singletrackmind
06-12-2007, 04:04 AM
Able to or wanted to??? I don't remember saying anything about riding again after 2 weeks? I guess that's when you were back on the bike? Wow, that must have been nice. :) :) :)

Staples were out and I was well-enough healed by then. I didn't take the pain pills they gave me. It wasn't great, but it wasn't all that bad either. I don't think I got back on the bike until a month after if that? I didn't get much support at the time, it was very difficult to get out on my own. Our first several months were all about the baby and where I could sneak a nap in. We did a lot of walking/hiking together until he could hold up a helmet, then we were off and riding.

Anyway, whatever I said wrong, I'm sorry. :o Best wishes tricanada, for a quick and easy as possible heal.

Trekhawk
06-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Anyway, whatever I said wrong, I'm sorry. :o Best wishes tricanada, for a quick and easy as possible heal.

I dont think you said anything wrong.:) Being the lucky women:( that has experienced both C section and vaginal births I can say neither was without pain and its own set of issues. Either way it can't have been too bad or I wouldnt have ended up with three (and trust me I am a wimp when it comes to pain).

tricanada - listen to your own body and take things easy and enjoy your new baby aahhhh they grow so fast.

tricanada
06-12-2007, 01:51 PM
thanks everyone for your input. As with most exercise stuff the answer seems to be "listen to your body". So far the healing is getting better everyday so we'll see. The suggestion of a recumbent bike is a good one that I might try when I am up for it.

beetle
06-12-2007, 08:19 PM
My DS#2 is 10 weeks old today. I just went back through my training diary and I did my first ride at 3 weeks (for all of 20mins on the trainer). I had a minor labial tear with a few stitches (so nothing compared to your episiotomy). I was pretty nervous getting on for the first time and only planned to keep riding if there was absolutely no pain. I rode on the trainer so I could move around easily (and not have to worry about cars) and had a spare cloth nappy on standby to add a bit more padding if required. I was very conscious of slowing the healing by getting on the bike so for me I was well on the mend by 3wks.

Hear's my TMI advise. Don't go near the bike until you feel REALLY comfortable touching, moving, squeezing the scar tissue. If there is pain and sensitivity just to touch it you don't want to be sitting on a bike yet. In my non-medical opinion.

I'm also a big fan of the Concept 2 rowing machine, great cross training for running and cycling. Also good for abs and back strength which despite exercising through pg still seem to take a beating.

As others have said, time with baby and rest are very important but I understand your desire to get back on the bike. For me exercise has become my "me time" and break that allows me to recharge and then get back to the job of being a good parent. This is only possible though as my second one sleeps and feeds much better than #1 and I am getting lots more sleep/rest.

mimitabby
06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
wow, Beetle, you are lucky. my #2 son was so much harder than my #1 son
that if he'd been born first, I would have stopped RIGHT THERE!

good advice though.

beetle
06-14-2007, 03:30 AM
wow, Beetle, you are lucky. my #2 son was so much harder than my #1 son
that if he'd been born first, I would have stopped RIGHT THERE!

Very lucky. #1 was neither really good or really bad and I had anticipated the new little guy to be more of a handful so I think, so far, I've just been lucky and have benefited from expecting the worst.

KnottedYet
07-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Wow, Tricanada! 8 weeks after this huge episiotomy and you are doing a half Iron Man...:eek:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=17628

maillotpois
07-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Dont worry I know plenty of women who have given birth and required not a single stitch. I just wasn't one of them unfortunately.:(

I had no stitches - only STAPLES!! :eek:

(C-section. You'd think I'd have good good birthing hips, but no. It's deceptively small in there give how shapeley it is on the outside...)

Crankin
07-29-2007, 05:58 PM
I had emergency c-sec. with #1 preemie who didn't make it. I was back exercising after 4 weeks, with the staples. After son #1, I had a somewhat major episiotomy (don't remember how many stitches) and he was a forceps baby, too. I was back at the gym doing aerobics and weights after 3 weeks. With son #2, I was walking after 2 weeks and back to the gym after 6 weeks. As others have said, exercise was my "me" time. I considered myself very lucky to have a doctor who let me have vaginal deliveries after a c section and pretty much told me to do whatever I felt comfortable with as far as the exercise, since this was 25 years ago!

tricanada
07-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Wow, Tricanada! 8 weeks after this huge episiotomy and you are doing a half Iron Man...:eek:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=17628

Now you know why I asked the question ;) My doc and lactation nurse gave me the go ahead and since I resumed training, my son continues to gain the right amount of weight if not more each week. I consider myself lucky.

Grog
07-29-2007, 08:22 PM
This is very cool TriCanada, good luck with your tri and raising the new baby! Your kid is going to be very proud of his mom when he sees the pics from the tri many years from now, I can tell you that!

The more I read about this, the more I think I'll pick up marathon running and not cycling randoneering after giving birth though! At least when running you don't have to sit on the sensitive bits!!

Good luck!

xeney
07-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Dear Team Estrogen:

Can we maybe not bump this thread and its terrifying title and first post until AFTER I have my baby? It's only one more week!

Having nightmares,

Xeney

tricanada
07-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Dear Team Estrogen:

Can we maybe not bump this thread and its terrifying title and first post until AFTER I have my baby? It's only one more week!

Having nightmares,

Xeney

You made me laugh!!! No worries though. I put my original post up 2 weeks after I delivered. That was now 9 weeks ago and I have since recovered plenty. I have resumed biking and am getting ready for a 1/2 Ironman in 3 weeks. I wish you all the best and an even speedier recovery!

amymisk
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Good Luck in your Tri!

I had a third degree tear with over 20 stitches, I don't think I could have done a tri so soon after birth. Come to think of it, I don't think I could have trained for a tri while pregnant.

Good Luck!!

mimitabby
07-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Xeney
most moms don't tear like that. I had 3 stitches for boy 1 and no stitches for boy 2.

KnottedYet
07-31-2007, 08:35 PM
I had a groovy episiotomy. Dunno how many stitches, I never even asked. The episiotomy allowed my kiddo to be born forceps rather than c-section, at the last moment.

He survived, I survived. I don't complain a bit.
(and I can't find my scar and neither can my sweetie. And it doesn't hurt me on the bike. It's all good.)

xeney
08-07-2007, 07:22 AM
As it turns out, I'm now really glad this thread exists, because it gives me some reassurance that life will go on eventually. Penelope Ramona was born on August 4 after 38 hours of back labor, mostly unmedicated, and although at the end she turned so she came out facing the right way after all, she had the cord wrapped around her neck and her heart rate had started to drop. Similar to Knotted's story, she had to come out ASAP, and it was too late for a c-section because she had descended too far. She was delivered with an episiotomy and a vacuum and four big pushes.

So I don't regret my episiotomy, either, although things are pretty painful right now and I'm feeling a little down about how fragile I feel. My doctor wouldn't tell me how many stitches I had -- he said he didn't count -- and just said it was as long as it needed to be.

And I guess it was, because she's here and she's perfect. :D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1161/1034142907_a04d684b7d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xeney/1034142907/)

indigoiis
08-07-2007, 08:14 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

What a beautiful baby. Worth the stitches.

It's easy to feel the blues with a new baby and all those stitches, and other little pains and digestive issues. See if your community has a visiting nurse service (usually provided for free) that you can take advantage of, as they have all kinds of tricks on healing and eating right after the birth.

Pretty soon you'll be out and about again. Meantime, GET SOME REST and enjoy your new girl. She's gorgeous.

snapdragen
08-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Congratulations xeney! Welcome to the world little Penelope Ramona!

Aggie_Ama
08-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Welcome Penelope Ramona!

Congrats Xeney, she is a beauty and you are a real trooper- 38 hours of back labor!

chickwhorips
08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Congrats Xeney!!!! What a beautiful little girl.

Trekhawk
08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl - she is gorgeous.

Dont worry about your stiches its amazing how quickly the body heals. Drying the area with my hairdryer after showers (not too close though:eek: ) seemed to help (this was recommended to me by a midwife). Rest, relax and enjoy your wonderful daughter.:)

KnottedYet
08-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Congratulations Xeney and Penelope!

I used witch hazel pads, patted on my episo. They helped a lot. Turns out the major source of my episo "pain" was some stray hairs that got caught up and tangled into a mini-dreadlock in the excitement. Didn't find 'em until after the stitches had healed and I knew it wasn't a stitch issue. <embarrassed>

A hand mirror after a week or two can be a very good thing!:D

Again, congratulations!

tricanada
08-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Congratulations Xeney!

Your situation is virtually identical to the reason I started this thread (except I count myself lucky not to have had the back labor - ouch). I can tell you that the pain you are in now will subside. I remember at the time thinking it would never get better but it did. Keep up the sitz baths and I strongly recommend Tucks pads.