PDA

View Full Version : How to measure the old rump roast....

Flybye
06-07-2007, 02:23 PM
I am considering a new saddle - a Brooks or a Selle San Marco but haven't a clue about how to measure for a saddle.

I have hunted other posts and know the difference between sit bones and pelvic bones. I just need to know how to measure sit bones.. I know that awhile ago I ran across a post that gave the how to's, but I can't find it. Do ya' just stand on your head with a tape measure in your hands and hope for the best :eek: ?

Thanks for your help!

kelownagirl
06-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I heard of someone who flattened out a piece of plasticene and sat on it.

Might work?

teigyr
06-07-2007, 06:05 PM
I am curious about this also. How can you tell bones vs., ahem, spread :o

KnottedYet
06-07-2007, 07:55 PM
where did that huge thread go with all the measuring methods?

someone with better computer skills will find it, I'm sure.

What worked for me was to sit on my hands, then move my fingers so they were just outside my sit bones, skootch up from my chair, and measure the distance between my fingers. (outside measurement)

I tried this several ways, and found that putting the tape measure down first and lining myself up over the tape worked best. (same measurement over and over again. consistency if not accuracy.)

Lying on my back with my hips flexed and applying the tape to my butt wasn't quite ideal. Actually *sitting* to get the measurement seemed better.

Flybye
06-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Teigyr - In response to your question - I am curious about this also. How can you tell bones vs., ahem, spread

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=16145&highlight=cindywon

Try the link above or got to Open Topic, Cycling Related, Post entitled :
Is a saddle supposed to hurt this way?? by knottedyet, It is post #14

There is a great diagram of the sit bones vs. the girly bones.

I am sure there is an easier way for me to get you there buy I have tried two or three different things and cant figger it out = DOH :o

Nokomis
06-08-2007, 07:56 AM
I went to a bike shop that carries a lot of Specialized saddles - and they have a squishy ruler device - you sit on it (lean forward, help isolate those butt bones) and then you stand up, and then use the measurements on the ruler to identify where the center of your sit bones hit. It measures from zero in the middle, mms to the outside.

So, I adding up 60mm on one side, 80 on the other (apparently not centered, it's hard to do) for an estimate of 140mm - therefore span. I tried the paper-on-hard-surface method at home and came up with 150mm, pretty close.

Flybye
06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I went to a bike shop that carries a lot of Specialized saddles - and they have a squishy ruler device - you sit on it (lean forward, help isolate those butt bones) and then you stand up, and then use the measurements on the ruler to identify where the center of your sit bones hit. It measures from zero in the middle, mms to the outside.

So, I adding up 60mm on one side, 80 on the other (apparently not centered, it's hard to do) for an estimate of 140mm - therefore span. I tried the paper-on-hard-surface method at home and came up with 150mm, pretty close.

Thanks - I hadn't considered using averages until I read your post. I will measure several times and do the math -thanks a millimeter - or is it a million!?:p

pooks
06-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Okay, here is a dumb question.

My GYN is a cyclist. I go in for a checkup next month. Any chance she can tell me? :D

My rump is so padded, I just don't know how the heck anybody will know!

Nokomis
06-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Doesn't hurt to ask!

teigyr
06-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Okay, here is a dumb question.

My GYN is a cyclist. I go in for a checkup next month. Any chance she can tell me? :D

My rump is so padded, I just don't know how the heck anybody will know!

Ok, I spit diet pepsi on the keyboard :D I just heard, in my head, "you know...while you're down there...."

Seriously though, I bet she either could tell you or should could tell you a good way to do it.

:D