PDA

View Full Version : Riding through Arches NP in Moab??

Running Mommy
06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi Girls-
It's been a couple of years since I've been to Moab. We are going next weekend, and I was thinking of taking my road rig and riding through arches.
Has anyone done this? and if so what is the road like? It looks like it might be a tad bit narrow, and I'm concerned about the traffic factor.
I could just see mr. griswold in his family truckster swerving into me as he looks in awe at the scenery. :eek:
Anyone have any insight?
Also wondering how hilly that area is? Like I said, it's been years so I can't remember- tho I know it's not flat by any stretch. I'm just such a hill weenie!! :p

emily_in_nc
06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
We hiked in Arches in 2006. I remember the road in being very hilly and fairly busy towards the start, but getting less traffic the farther in you go, as people peel off for the various parking lots along the way. There was one big hairpin turn at the start of the road that I would be nervous about riding down with traffic leaving the park. Mid-week would definitely be the time to do it, if you're going to attempt it!

I am sure there are others who have been there more than my one time who could help more.

Emily

sulis
06-08-2007, 04:36 AM
Ah - Arches. I love that NP.

I have never ridden arches but its definitely doable. Arches and Dead Horse Point are two very popular rides in the area. For a shorter ride, definitely hit the potash road. It is flat, travels along the river, takes you past the indian hyroglyphics and has beautiful scenery. Look at me get off topic again :o

As for Arches, like was previously stated the steepest part is the entrance to the park. I can't remember how long the hill is but its a steady climb. Once up to the hill the main park is mostly flat with a few mild hills/rollers. I would go early and pack plenty of water.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I am heading down that way in July and was thinking of bringing my bike to ride in the park a bit.

singletrackmind
06-08-2007, 07:04 AM
HYDRATE!!! HYDRATE!!! HYDRATE!!! Bring as much water as you can carry...and drink it! We take full camelbacks, plus 4 bottles each for a few hours out....and start out well hydrated.
(ok, you likely already know that)

We were there a few years ago early July (mtb)...it was 115 degrees. 4 am mtb rides...sweet! We drove arches and hiked around, I don't remember much in the way of water stops or any other kinds of stops, though we were carrying our own so we weren't as inclined to look. We did find a large group way back in of tourists trying to get their van unlocked with a stick. Don't know how long they'd been there, but our slimjim made quick work of it. :)

Hills...yes!

Found this:
http://www.utah.com/bike/trails/arches.htm

DeniseGoldberg
06-08-2007, 10:04 AM
It's been a couple of years since I've been to Moab. We are going next weekend, and I was thinking of taking my road rig and riding through arches.
Has anyone done this? and if so what is the road like?
I've been there twice with my road bike, and I found it to be a very reasonable place to ride. That said, be sure to bring off-the-bike shoes with you because you may want to walk closer to some of the rocks!

If you're interested in my experiences, my journal from my two trips (back in 2001 and 2002) is at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/denise2001moab.

--- Denise

yellow
06-08-2007, 07:23 PM
RM, SadieKate and I will be in Moab next weekend too. We're starting our Telluride to Moab ride on Sunday (shuttling from Moab to Telluride to start) but plan to ride in Moab on Fri and Sat. We should try to meet up for a beer at the brewery! I'll PM you my info!

mountain biking in Moab = happy :)

Running Mommy
06-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I got the Pm before I read the thread, but I did PM you back. What trails are you going to be riding on Saturday? Tony (running hubby) and Spencer will prolly be riding the nobbys while I'm on the road. Tho I am thinking about bringing my clunker of a mtb instead. But I have a motto that is soooo UN moab! It's "Give me fire roads or give me death"... :D
I'm a big old chicken when it comes to mtn biking, so usually I have to go do my own "mom" thing... sigh..
As my son says "MOM! You ride like such a... errr.... MOM!".. :rolleyes:
So anyhoo, just a wonderin.... BTW- your trip sounds FUN!!!
Ciao!
Denise