PDA

View Full Version : My first charity ride - Ride for the Cure

aspenannie
06-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi Ladies-
I've always said I was a hiker, but here I am with my first road bike and signed up to do the Ride for the Cure - I even started a TEAM! crazy. We are signed up for the 30 mile route - but if my training goes well - I'll try to do more of the century. It's a tough one - about 5000 ft of elevation gains albeit pretty gentle ones. My husband teaches a ski program called "Bumps for Boomers" so natch our team name is "Boomers for Boobs". I just had my knee scoped last week so I'm off the bike for 2 weeks totaly but hopefully will be able to do some easy gentle flat pedling this weekend. I've read the training posts - all your tips are great. love the site -

Any of you in the Denver/Boulder area - please come and join the Ride !!
http://komenaspen.org/ride/ride_home.html :o :o :o

My webpage is: https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=223192&lis=1&kntae223192=CBB5BB6F9C784FA69862975470C5298B&supId=76407498

shadon
06-12-2007, 11:18 PM
congratulations on taking this on! RIDE ON!

aspenannie
06-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi - thanks for your kind words. Being new to this forum, I'm not sure how to jump in. I am curious if anyone has suggestions on training schedules for a 50 mile ride ? I'll have 10 weeks to train - I can ride 10 miles now a couple times a week. thanks!!

aspenannie
06-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I need some suggested trng mileage for 50 mile ride - any suggestions ? I've got 8 weeks. thanks!!!

onimity
06-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi Annie,

That sounds like a great ride! My mom is a 2-time breast cancer survivor so it's a cause I really care about. My sister and I live in Boulder and if I can improve my climbing a lot I think it would be fun. I'm not ready to sign up yet because we've committed to a lot, the Susan G. Komen Tri for the Cure in Cherry Creek and we are training to do the American Diabetes Assn. Tour de Cure on August 25th. If you can make it down for that we'd love to have you on our team (http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?JServSessionIdr010=g3jhyw0ik1.app23b&pg=team&fr_id=4480&team_id=222698).

That will be my first century so I am probably the least qualified to tell you how to train, but I started out riding 10 miles round trip to my piano lesson and then gradually increased my distance, roughly following this schedule (http://www.diablocyclists.com/RiderTips/StrenghtCenturyTrainingProgram.htm). I say roughly because I started early and am up to 60 mile rides, so I'm backing off of it and trying to maintain my current distances with iincreased climbing. I have no idea if this is a good plan or not, but it is working so far... You could do the first portion up to 50 miles and then keep going to 100 if you are feeling good about it. I think that the important thing is to increase your mileage gradually and steadily and to make sure that you get enough rest in.

Good luck!

Anne

aspenannie
06-23-2007, 06:56 PM
HI Anne

thanks for the training schedule. I've printed it off and will take a look. I just wrapped up my work for the Summer so it's time to get serious about this! My father has adult on-set diabetes (I think that's type 2) so That's a cause I'm interested in! Re the Aspen ride - you can do as much or little as you want. the climbs are pretty gradual - nothing like riding over Independence Pass or anything. I think the first stretch is gains about 1500 feet over 12 miles, then up to Maroon Bells you gain another 1500 feet over 8 miles. There are alot of people who just do those 2 sections and then head back into town. We're going to ride (at least) from Woody Creek out to the Monastery, to the Deaf Camp and back to Woody Creek. Most of that is pretty level or easy grades. The Monastery is great as the monks all bake cookies and have lemondae in the barn - it's always the favorite rest stop. The website StayAspenSnowmass.com will have the best hotel deals - usually in early Sept things are cheap - at least by Aspen standards.You can easily get a very nice room for $100. Thanks again for the suggestions. Good luck with YOUR ride....we'll keep it in the back of our minds and if the training goes really well, maybe we can make it.

I work out with a trainer 2 days a week and am not sure how to combine that with all the riding. I am not fit enough to go for a ride, then do a trainer workout. Am wondering if I should back off w/the trainer, or skip a day of riding. Appreciate any suggestions on that !

thanks again!