PDA

View Full Version : another motorcycle encounter

cosc
06-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Yesterday I was road riding alone and a motorcycle came in back of me and followed me, rather than pass. Then he came along side me, slowed my speed and asked " how many miles do you ride every day woman?" I said "too many" because at that point I didn't want to be there. Thankfully, a truck appeared on top of the hill and he went on his way. He was one character I hope I don't meet up with again.

mimitabby
06-06-2007, 09:30 AM
hmm, sounds like he was impressed with your riding!

Trekhawk
06-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Yep it freaks me out too when people make strange comments. One day last Winter when I was riding out in the countryside I got a comment that left me thinking all the way home. Part of the road I was riding on had collapsed because of heavy rain (they think an old mine shaft was under it aaahh gold country) anyway I needed to get off and walk my bike across the rubble along the edge and as I get to the other side a car pulls up. "You are a long way from home" the guy says. Hmm I think what does that mean? How does he know Im a long way from home. Probably just an innocent comment but it gave me the beejeepers and I hightailed it out of there.

I hope you have peaceful, motorbike free rides from now on.

SadieKate
06-06-2007, 09:38 AM
It is kind of unnerving when you're by yourself but I've found a lot of bikers feel an affinity with us. Amazing the number of them that have road or mtn bikes at home. We get tons of firendly waves and finger wiggles from them as they pass.

Just be greatful it wasn't like our incident a couple weekends ago. Having a Harley slide across the road between you and your riding partner at 40+ mph is a heck of a lot more unnerving than the casual comment.

Trekhawk
06-06-2007, 09:46 AM
It is kind of unnerving when you're by yourself but I've found a lot of bikers feel an affinity with us. Amazing the number of them that have road or mtn bikes at home. We get tons of firendly waves and finger wiggles from them as they pass.

Just be greatful it wasn't like our incident a couple weekends ago. Having a Harley slide across the road between you and your riding partner at 40+ mph is a heck of a lot more unnerving than the casual comment.

Cr*p that would be scary. Did the guy lose control on a corner or something??

SadieKate
06-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes, he was heading south on Pleasant's Valley Rd like we did for the UnPopulaire. Admitted he was about 10 mph over what he should have been doing.

We've decided that Bubba is a Harley magnet (after the close encounter near Moskowite a couple years ago). However, we need to remember that he is part of Team Darwin.

Trekhawk
06-06-2007, 10:19 AM
We've decided that Bubba is a Harley magnet (after the close encounter near Moskowite a couple years ago). However, we need to remember that he is part of Team Darwin.

LOL - tell him to keep his Team Darwin urges under wraps while you are mountain biking.:D

Veronica
06-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Yesterday I had an encounter with drunken chicken guy.

As this truck passed me, the passenger leans out the window and says, "Bahhh, bahhh bakaaa..." I had to pull up beside them at the light and he did it again.

I asked him what was up with that. He said he just liked chicken. He asked if I liked chicken, was I having chicken for dinner? I answered him. He asked what I was doing. I said riding home from work. He reeked of alcohol and cigarettes. It was kind of surreal.

V.

Trekhawk
06-06-2007, 10:49 AM

As this truck passed me, the passenger leans out the window and says, "Bahhh, bahhh bakaaa..." I had to pull up beside them at the light and he did it again.

I asked him what was up with that. He said he just liked chicken. He asked if I liked chicken, was I having chicken for dinner? I answered him. He asked what I was doing. I said riding home from work. He reeked of alcohol and cigarettes. It was kind of surreal.

V.

LOL - sorry V I know that its not funny but I can't get the image of you and the chicken guy out of my head. Surreal is right.

Veronica
06-06-2007, 10:53 AM
At the time I was PO'ed.

I'd just come from a staff meeting with a lot of bad news and had a kid yell itch with a b at me from a van. I did not need drunken chicken guy clucking at me.

Thom thought it was hilarious.

V.

RoadRaven
06-06-2007, 10:54 AM
LOL V
It sounds like something out of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"
:D

(I mean the book, not the movie... will NOT watch the movie!)

lph
06-06-2007, 11:24 AM
At the time I was PO'ed.

Thom thought it was hilarious.

V.

So do I. :D

I wonder what it is about cyclists that brings out this kind of bizarre behaviour!

HoosierGiant
06-06-2007, 11:27 AM
I've found a lot of bikers feel an affinity with us. Amazing the number of them that have road or mtn bikes at home. We get tons of firendly waves and finger wiggles from them as they pass.

I'm so glad the bikers in your area are of the friendly persuasion! In our neck of the woods, it's readily apparent that the vast majority of them would love nothing better than to eradicate cyclists from the face of the earth. The standard ploy is to ride right up on your rear wheel, gun it when they veer left to pass, and then cut in as close to your front wheel as they can get. YEESH! Last week DH and I were riding two-abreast on a four-lane, divided road when he announced we had a truck coming up on us in the passing lane. As the truck pulled even with us, a crazed motorcyclist decided to "thread the needle" and zipped past all of us on the center hashes doing at least 65mph. YIKES! Thank goodness hubby didn't drift left and the truck driver didn't drift right while Mr. I'm Invincible was forcing his way through. That would not have been pretty.

mimitabby
06-06-2007, 11:48 AM
So do I. :D

I wonder what it is about cyclists that brings out this kind of bizarre behaviour!

maybe it's the fact (for the chicken guy anyway) that we're human contact.
we're not encased in a ton of steel and glass!

Zen
06-06-2007, 09:04 PM

V.

Did Drunk Chicken Man look like thishttp://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/chickeneye.jpg???

Imagine that head poking out the window.

Running Mommy
06-06-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm sorry but I had to laugh! It reminded me of the time I was running and had a drunk migrant chase me! He was so drunk he could barely stand straight, but when he saw me come running past him he decided to give chase! :eek:
It was funny and scary all at the same time!
Just another reason why I'm glad I left the "wine country"... Harvest time is a scary time for us runners and bikers. One thing I found living (well growing up ) there is that at harvest time the workers are there just for the harvest. So they have nothing to do when they are not working and they are bored. Unfortunately a lot of them drink when they are bored. Not trying to say that ALL of them do this, but it seemed common.
I was almost swerved into MANY times by old trucks filled with vineyard workers- and no they didn't target me- because as they passed they were swerving all the way up the road.:eek:
My cousin still remembers the time I was on a long run training for the NYCM. I heard something behind me and it was a tractor hauling a load of grapes coming down the side of the road. I was running in the bike lane and he was NOT going to move over for me. I had to jump into the ditch to avoid being whacked! My cousin would say "only Denise...:D "... Sigh...

luv2fly
06-15-2007, 07:52 PM
I ride a motorcycle and have always been polite with cyclists :)