PDA

View Full Version : Craft Chamois?

smurfalicious
08-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Hey ladies! I was wondering if any of you know of shorts that have a chamois like the Craft shorts. I'm kind of spoiled and I took my aching butt to the bike shop after my first ride. They had a sale on all "road bike accesories" because of the huge Cascade Classic being in town. I milked that for all it was worth, bless my sales gal Tara, "well, you ride your bike on the road, right?" Suuure. Sooo long story short the $90 shorts I liked so much were 25% off and I couldn't resist! Well, now I'd like a second pair of shorts, so those prized beauties can have a day off, but I hate everything I've tried! I'm sooo not impressed with the Pearl Izumi chamois. Well, the one in the $120 shorts is fine and all, but it doesn't serve the purpose of having a slightly cheaper pair.

What I want is something similar to the Craft chamois in that it's tapered through the crotch and doesn't make me look like I have horrendous camel toe. Most everything I've tried feels like a big fat maxi pad and adds bulk where I don't need it. Additionally I looooove the way the Craft chamois has grooves in it that allow it to flex along your crotch and butt. Sooo, am I asking too much? All I want is something in the neighborhood of $50. Or another 25% off sale at Hutch's!!!

love and cookies
-smurf

emily_in_nc
08-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Smurf,

You might want to look at the Performance Ultras for women. They are a relative newcomer to the market. I recently wrote a review of them on www.girlbike.com you can check out, and look for them on performancebike.com. They have the tapered chamois without the huge pricetag and might be what you are looking for. I have never worn Craft shorts so can't be sure, but do check 'em out - I think they're very good!

Good luck!
Emily

smurfalicious
08-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks sooo much! I'm gonna try and pick up a pair. The description of the chamois sounds like it might be identical if not close. Yay! They're on sale for $50 right now.

love and cookies
-smurf

Waverly
08-27-2004, 06:09 AM
I actually just bought a pair of Pearl Iz. last week. I didn't go for the $200 pair either. I choose a cheaper version at @ $45. They fit better than the expensive ones because they have a tapered chamois. I am not sure what "flavor" (style) mine are but the pad is purple if that helps for future reference.

Jessica

Dogmama
08-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Are these the shorts you're talking about?

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=9439

There is a link to the chamois. Is this the same as what you have? They're a little $$ ($120!).

fasteryet
08-29-2004, 01:01 PM
I bought a pair of Shebeest SSS shorts this year, and like them , The chamois is not too big, plus is stretchy and thin on the sides. The only complaint I have is that they're not as wicking down there, compared to some others. I do like the shorts material, though. I ordered and returned the Performance ones. I liked the chamois, but not the length if the shorts, nor the fabric. Another good value is the Perf. coolmax elite. I've had a pair of them for almost two years now, and they're holding up well.

smurfalicious
08-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Dogmama, those are a step above the ones that I have, but yes, that is the chamois. I was looking at Shebeest today and saw they sell the same one in some shorts. They do tend to hold a little bit of moisture, especially for a uh, "snail trail" prone gal like me. Emily, is that chamois similar to the performance shorts?

emily_in_nc
08-30-2004, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by smurfalicious
Dogmama, those are a step above the ones that I have, but yes, that is the chamois. I was looking at Shebeest today and saw they sell the same one in some shorts. They do tend to hold a little bit of moisture, especially for a uh, "snail trail" prone gal like me. Emily, is that chamois similar to the performance shorts?

It looks quite similar, yes. And yes, the Performance Ultras do hold in some moisture, but then again, I haven't found any shorts that don't. Here in the hot, humid south, you are going to be soaked during and after a ride, shorts, jersey, hair, etc. It's just part of riding! So, I am used to shorts that feel like a wet diaper after the first hour or so, but at least the Ultras have less of the bulk so don't feel nearly so bad (to me).

Cheers,
Emily

annie
08-30-2004, 05:42 AM
Are the Performance Ultras the ones with coolmax? If so, I tried a pair, they were pretty comfortable, but after spending time in the sun, they changed color! Instead of black, they were sort of an ugly, shiny mess of dark, indescribable, iridescent colors! I called Performance and was simply told that the coolmax will do that....... Thanks!! I will now only wear them cycling indoors, alone, in the winter. So IF those are the same shorts, just wanted to warn everyone. Maybe they are better and improved now compared to when I got mine.

I like the Sheebeest shorts. I've had good luck with them in terms of quality. They wear well. The chamois is quite comfortable. I also agree with Emily........if its hot and humid, any clothing will retain moisture. Doesn't matter what it's made of.

annie

emily_in_nc
08-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by annie
Are the Performance Ultras the ones with coolmax? If so, I tried a pair, they were pretty comfortable, but after spending time in the sun, they changed color! Instead of black, they were sort of an ugly, shiny mess of dark, indescribable, iridescent colors! I called Performance and was simply told that the coolmax will do that....... Thanks!! I will now only wear them cycling indoors, alone, in the winter. So IF those are the same shorts, just wanted to warn everyone. Maybe they are better and improved now compared to when I got mine.

Annie, I don't think these are the same shorts, but I can't be 100% sure since I'm at work and can't check the label. However, mine have not changed colors in about 6 rides, some fairly long and most in the sun. I hope they don't! The Ultra shorts are a new model for this year, so if yours were not from 2004, they are not the exact same shorts.

Emily

annie
08-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Mine were not this year's shorts. So hopefully, yours will be fine! Maybe they took care of that little problem.

annie