PDA

View Full Version : My new job: bike friendly!

KnottedYet
06-05-2007, 07:14 PM
My new workplace has a COVERED and well-lit bike lock-up at the parking garage within FULL view of the parking lot attendents. There is a shower for bike commuters (and lunch time joggers) to use. And the company gives free bus passes to all employees who want them, and those busses have bike racks on the front so you can multi-mode commute. Plus they have a bike club!

How totally cool is that!?!?!

Knot-really-likes-her-new-workplace

mimitabby
06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
fantastic! you deserve it!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :p :D :cool: :rolleyes: :D

salsabike
06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
So do you get to actually tell us where/for whom you're working?

So pleased that you finally got to move on to a better place.

farrellcollie
06-05-2007, 07:51 PM
WOw - that is great.

KnottedYet
06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm up on Pill Hill (aka First Hill, downtown Seattle-ish). A little indimidated by being in the "big city" but I might get over it eventually. Sure do see a LOT of bikes up there!

LBTC
06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Yahoo, Knot! That's super great! Did you ride to work today?

Hugs & butterflies,
~T~

Jo-n-NY
06-06-2007, 03:58 AM
Knotted, how great to work for such a bike friendly company. Wishing you lots of luck with your new job.

~ JoAnn

Tri Girl
06-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Wow- that's very cool!!! What a supportive environment- and how nice that your company recognizes that people like to commute and rewards them for it by having lockers, showers and free bus passes (woo hooooo!!!).

Congrats on your new job- and for the biker friendliness of it!

You ARE in Seattle tho- I would expect nothing less from a town that has a reputation for being environmentally conscious and aware... what a place!

KnottedYet
06-06-2007, 05:13 AM
I won't start riding to work until I have my insurance worked out (or at least until July 1 when my temporary insurance will hopefully kick in). I will also need to figure out my routes and such. It'll be about 14 or 15 miles each way, probably mixed bus and bike.

Right now I'm up to my eyeballs just getting settled in :eek: , so I guess it's ok that my insurance is up in the air and I shouldn't ride anyway.

surgtech1956
06-06-2007, 07:08 AM
Sounds fantastic - more places should become 'bike friendly'. Congrats to you. :cool: What is your profession?

KnottedYet
06-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Healthcare. Lots of "Family" work in healthcare, as you well know; and I really like where I'm at cuz it's next to the "Family" district of Seattle. Don't have to play the pronoun game here! AND I can ride my bike! :D

Tuckervill
06-10-2007, 06:56 PM
I'd .like to see a pic of that bike garage.

Karen

RoadRaven
06-24-2007, 09:03 PM
BUMP -

Any chance of a pic? Our sustainability group at work is discussing these things now...

kiwi girl
06-25-2007, 02:58 AM
We are allowed to keep our bikes in our offices (luckily two government agencies that both have a focus on sustainability and/or transport issues). More exciting one of the tennants in our building currently has the lease over a shower - the shower is off a corridor close to, but not in, their office. They are moving out at the end of the year and we are trying to negotiate to add the shower to our lease

RoadRaven
06-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Knot, I was in a bit of a rush last night when I logged in

So I am back to ask if you are still enjoying work and getting plenty of opportunity to commute???
Your first post sounded so excited!!

Kiwi... we are not supposed to bring bikes inside - its supposedly a fire risk - but I do anyway (LOL, I am SUCH a rebel!).

I either lean it across my desk/chair or leave it in the storage room with the paper, videos, DVDs etc...

There is no way I will put either of my bikes in a bike stand (like the ones we had at school)... those stands were made for sturdy raleigh 20s, not light framed and expensive wheeled road bikes! Plus there's that security issue of leaving an easily stealable $2000 lying around with nothing but a bike lock to anchor it...

And we are so lucky... my previous manager is a triathelete (he is no longer my direct boss anymore :( ) and when we planned for the new building we are now in, he insisted on showers on every floor. The one on my floor is the BEST shower in the world, and right outside the office door. MOST excellent!

tjf9
06-25-2007, 04:53 PM
RoadRaven - I also have a bike locker room at work. I don't have any pics handy (I can try and take some tonight), but it is basically a large utility room in the basement of my building with 25 "bike lockers" and about 30 regular gym-type lockers. The bike lockers are just made of plywood and each one holds one bike vertically on a hook at the back. I'm not sure of the size, but it is just large enough for one bike. There are also some hooks on the side to hang bike helmet and clothes.

The room is secured with an electronic lock (we use badges here, so it is the same key card that gets me into my floor) that only people who have bike lockers have access to. In addition, each bike locker and regular locker has a combination lock provided.

Those 25 bike lockers are serving a 16 story building, so they are in high demand. The wait is about 3-4 months to get one. I got lucky and am "borrowing" one from someone who has since stopped riding to work.

We also have showers and almost free bus passes too.

Hope that helps with your sustainability group. PM me if you have more questions!