PDA

View Full Version : really tight inner thighs

mimitabby
06-05-2007, 09:53 AM
I have been noticing that my inner thighs are really tight. (This didn't used to happen when i didn't ride)
i am doing the frog exercise, some twists, and the pillow between the knees
thing that Knot has me doing because of my back (which is healing very nicely, no tweaks at all this week)
but my inner thighs absolutely burn, and putting my leg over the bike to get on is quite a chore sometimes!

thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

Nokomis
06-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Are your inner thighs engaging while you're riding? (Squeezing the nose of the saddle, or similar?)

Are you able to strech out that region post ride while muscles are warm?

mimitabby
06-05-2007, 12:00 PM
i can squeeze the saddle nose, but does that mean my thighs are engaged when i'm riding?
haven't done any stretching after a ride no.

Nokomis
06-05-2007, 12:47 PM
by that - you can, or do squeeze consistently?

I'm sooooo not an expert, but the only time I am actively engaging the inner thigh muscles is when I'm controling my turns on very quick descents. If you're constantly using those muscles while riding, I'd be exploring things like stability / confidence, saddle nose too short, saddle too slippery, other muscles not engaging appropriately... basically go for a ride, listen to your muscles & ask them why they're so active? :D

Do stretch ~ I need to put up a reminder for myself on that topic too.

mimitabby
06-05-2007, 12:53 PM
oh, no i do not squeeze consistently.
I feel pretty comfy sitting on my saddle.
but it's quite likely the wrong muscles are doing the job.
will stretch when i get home tonight.

JanB
06-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm dealing with something similar and was just given this website for IT band stretches and hip/inner thighs. Maybe there's a stretch here that you haven't done and would help. Good luck.
http://www.howtostretch.com/iliotibi.htm

mimitabby
06-05-2007, 02:53 PM
too bad they don't have exercises there for the INSIDE muscles!

rapid cycler
06-05-2007, 04:27 PM
My physical therapist tells me that stretching after a ride is more important than stretching before. Of course, that doesn't make it any easier for me to resist a couch ride immediately upon returning home. ;)

mimitabby
06-05-2007, 04:31 PM
after i got out of all my wet clothing from the freezing downpour on my way home i snuggled under the blankets and took a short nap.
i forgot to stretch too.

rapid cycler
06-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Ah, Seattle!

mimitabby
06-05-2007, 04:35 PM
yep, May's over. The bad weather is back (with breaks) until late July.

rapid cycler
06-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Do you really commute to work there, brave girl?

mimitabby
06-05-2007, 04:47 PM
of course! I commuted 19 times in May, a record for me.
normally twice a week is plenty because i have so many chores to do.

rapid cycler
06-05-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm not worthy.

One day I'll woman up and do so myself. Is it cheating if I quit my job to find one that's more commuter-friendly (i.e., not on the other side of a rather intimidating canyon road—scary for both its elevation and its road-rage worthy traffic)? Heh, last week I was driving home from work and a dude on a CAAD 9, who entered the canyon around the same time I did, kept pace with us poor stiffs in stop-and-go traffic all the way to the other side. I really wanted to give a shout-out to his studliness, but I didn't want to frighten the fellow.

mimitabby
06-05-2007, 05:48 PM
oh, sure you are worthy.
But my DH just did that. he quit a job of 12 years in Lynnwood to take a job downtown, so instead of a 30 mile commute which was rather hard to do daily;
he now has a commute of 9 miles.

other people drive a little and ride or take a bus and ride.

but my inner thighs are STILL too tight and the PT ladies aren't reading my post!

KnottedYet
06-05-2007, 05:57 PM
sorry, mimi! I just got home from my 2nd day of orientation.

Stretch those inner thighs. Dunno why they are tight, but stretch 'em anyway. I'm guessing the "frog" exercise you're talking about is where you sit with your feet together and close to your crotch (on the floor) and let the knees fall toward the floor.

You can also do the one where you sit against the wall with your legs in a big V shape on the floor.

Inner thighs can get tight for a lot of reasons. Unless something else is hurting, just stretch and see what happens. (mine get tight when I'm stressed, cuz I sleep in a VERY tight little ball with lots of tension when I'm stressed.)

mimitabby
06-05-2007, 06:02 PM
any more exercises, Knot? I am doing them every day (well, not the wall one, but i will) and i don't seem to loosen that part up.

hey, how many orientation days do you get? I only got 1/2 day for working at the big B.

Nokomis
06-05-2007, 06:49 PM
http://muscleventures.com/video/2007/01/standing_inner_thigh_stretch.html
and a few more here... http://www.hksi.org.hk/function/triathlon/stretch4.htm

Go easy & start with warm muscles. Commuting in a Seattle downpour? straight into the tub! :D

Pika
06-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi mimmi:
Looks like Knott gave you some good stretches for your inner thigh- it is a good idea to keep doing them gently- stretching aggresivley won't help very much. Sometimes more isn't better- be sure to stretch so you feel the muscle "release" ie when you hold the stretch after about 30s it should feel easier not worse or tighter.
Sometimes when you have a cranky back/SI the nerves from there become facilitated- meaning they are hypersensitive- when this happens they can start sending more than the usual number of signals to the muscle and one of the first symptoms people get is chronic muscle tightness that doesn't improve with rest/stretching.
The adductors ( inner thigh muscles) are a huge stabilizer of the pelvis so it might be that those muscles are kicking in to help with your pelvis and that is why they are not letting go.
Are you doing other core stabilizing exercises? Any transverse Abdominal exercises? That would be a good start if you aren't.
Do PTs do IMS there (Intramuscular Stimulation) it is a needling technique that can be a huge help with chronic muscle tightness ( chronic being over 6weeks with no underlying pathology ie inflammation injusry etc)
hope that helps

madscot13
06-05-2007, 08:02 PM
If you need an inner thigh stretches-

when you are standing- take 2 steps with your right foot directly to the right and take something like a lunge pose but still facing forward, don't rotate your hips. One leg will be straight, the side that you are stretching, and the other will be bent. How does that make your inner thigh feel?

when you are sitting- make a V with your legs and stretch down the middle of the V your made with your legs. Does that do anything?

I think if those stretches aren't doing it, it could be doing something else like your groin but I am sure you know that. In my opinion, I think the inner thighs are the most neglected muscles in our legs, but the ones we are most likely to randomly call on. If I am going to pull a muscle it will be those ones. I am trying to build them up ( Cross Country skiing season is only 6 months away) by side step lunges and some wide stance squats.

good luck with the pain.

madscot13
06-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Okay I am a dork. i didn't read the second page of posts. Sorry.

mimitabby
06-06-2007, 07:02 AM
It's okay, Madscot.

Pika might be onto something because a month ago, my SacroIliac went out
and i have been doing exercises for THAT ever since. so it might be a remnant of that problem.
I am doing more stretches, thanks everyone.
It's just so weird that after years of being sedentary with nary a thigh problem (actually, i was always so flexible, maybe because i had no muscles?) now I can hardly get my leg over my bike!