PDA

View Full Version : am I getting the hang of it?

gingergin
06-02-2007, 10:08 AM
You have listened to a couple of my rants before for which I am extremely appreciative!

Over the last 7 I did 6 rides for a total of 55.5 miles with NO numb fingers!

What I am doing differently is trying to tuck up my ab area and keep my hands, arms, neck, head and back all relaxed as possible. Like if my handlebars were not there my arms would be dangling. Is that the core strength and perching you all talk about? It felt like my fingers could go numb at any time but they didn't. I still frequently put one hand down but it was more a preventative thing, not because pins & needles started. Riding this way I am finding it a bit harder to breathe, and my upper legs are getting more tired. But I can feel the control of my bike now coming from my hips and knees.....I think...

I am not sure I am on the seat right as I am quite aware of my soft girly bits while I am riding but no lingering discomfort, yet. I am maybe a bit more upright than I would like but I am not making any adjustments because I am afraid it will go bad again.

It is so nice to feel my fingertips! Do you think I am on the right track? If all keeps going good am I going to want a road bike????

Appreciative once again!

mimitabby
06-02-2007, 12:31 PM
sounds like you are doing great!

RoadRaven
06-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey there GG... well done on learning to relax

I find sometimes it takes a real mental effort to relax muscles - a bit of a contradiction - flex mental "muscle" to relax "physical" muscle.

But it does make the riding so much more pleasant, and recovery too.
Well done on getting the "hang of it"...

I also cocur with your decision not to make too many adjustments too soon. Baby steps always when your position is just about right, and then try that out for a week or two, before taking the adjustment further...

Hmmm.... are you going to want a road bike... well... what other answer is there than YES! OF COURSE!

:p

Road ~obsessed-roadie~ Raven

KnottedYet
06-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Sounds right! Your breathing will get easier as your body re-learns to breathe with your diaphragm/rib cage as you hold your core firm. If it's used to using floppy-belly breathing it will feel odd for a while. Soon you'll have greater ribcage flexibility and happier intercostal and diaphragm muscles AND a firm core and you'll be amazed at how powerful you feel!

(if you have been trained in singing or wind instruments, use some of the breathing cues you learned then. Musicians breathe while holding the lower ab/core muscles firm and can toss some belly-breathing in there without losing the core control.)

One good way to practice (and strengthen) is to hold the core firm and breathe with your ribcage whenever you sit. Sitting at work, sitting at the computer, whatever. Imagine you are pressing your ribs out to your armpits or trying to stretch your bra band as you inhale. Good stuff!

gingergin
06-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks everyone!