PDA

View Full Version : Longer Jersey?

jplum4
08-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Hello - I'm fairly new to cycling and just starting for some things to wear. My problem? This middle-age tummy. I must have a long torso, but still like some fit in a jersey, so I wondered if anyone knew of a jersey line that runs a little longer. Also, are there any good on-line discounted places to shop?

Thanks

Maine-iac
08-23-2004, 05:14 AM
Have you tried a "men's " jersey? I have been cursed/blessed with the long torso/ short legs syndrome. I have to wear men's shirts no matter what it's function, otherwise it rides high. Too bad I can't take credit for the mid-drift fashion......It was just a fact of life for me.
Nashbar can be a good place to try, especially for closeouts. You may want to research a product first though to determine WHY it is a closeout. Example - poor product or new colors.

Trek420
08-23-2004, 06:19 AM
All my jerseys are men's jerseys, I'm not exactly thin, I've lost inches cycling and maybe weight but I like my jerseys loose. So womens shorts, tights, gloves etc but mens jerseys fit me best and...seem to be made better.

As for price of course plug the sponsor, did you know that teamestrogen has mens jerseys!?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=34641804&memberId=12500226

~ not much on selection but if they have what you want prices are great

Also check www.girlbike.com she always seems to have her finger on the pulse of sales and yes, it's girl stuff but usualy the same jerseys will be on sale for men

with jerseys if you are willing to not be the first one on the road with a particular pattern you can get good prices.

spazzdog
08-23-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm built like a boy for the most part... on the 'lesser endowed' side, no curves. I'm 5'7", 118 lbs and have a 32" inseam, 31" arms and broad shoulders. There isn't a girl's shirt out there that fits me well. For the sleeves to fit, the body is billowing... vice versa for the body to fit I end up with 3/4 length sleeves or 'cap' sleeves if its a jersey. Plus I have no torso. My legs are screwed in to the bottom of my ribcage. Attractive, no :D

I wear mens jerseys, mens shorts... mens jeans, the list goes on. My suits from my business days are womens from J.Crew when they had a kind of straight up and down cut to them.

Now if you really want to get jiggy... my feet are a full size different. I decided long ago that I stood in the 'spare parts' line in the baby making factory. My mother should've named me Moose ('cause they look like they stood in the spare parts line too) :confused:

spazzdog

Maine-iac
08-23-2004, 04:35 PM
spazzdog, you must be my long lost twin!!! Don't you just love the "house look" affect that happens when you find a shirt to fit the shoulders?:D

spazzdog
08-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Thankfully (in a way) I no longer work (out on disability) so I can live in jeans (28W34L), cowboy boots, men's small t-shirts, sweats, shorts and Tevas. In the fall I add a sweater and a leather jacket... winter brings out the parka. No fashion issues anymore.

With the cycling its boy gear all the way... except for the shoes, which I buy to fit the bigger foot (right 6.5) then have the cleat adjusted on the small foot (left 5.5) to pedal without pain.

When I ran, I actually bought 2 prs of shoes in the 2 sizes (VERY expensive) and donated the big left and the small right to a place that made prosthetic legs.

aka_kim
08-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Spazzdog, what kind of cleat adjustment do you get for your small foot? I've got the same problem -- my right foot is a full size smaller than my left (unfortunately both are big), plus the right has a major underpronation problem. So far I haven't found a pedal system or cleat adjustment that eliminates the pain in that foot. (I'm 5'7" too, and, yeah, apparently made from spare and leftover parts also :).)

Online discounted places -- nashbar, performance, rei...