PDA

View Full Version : Holstein Hundred --- OMG!!!

snapdragen
08-22-2004, 05:06 PM
My favorite organized ride in the No. Calif area is the Holstein Hundred out of Tomales. I've only missed it once in the last 5 years, so I was determined to go, in spite of the fact I haven't done much riding this year.

I wondered how far my fitness level had dropped from last year, now I know. This was tough - and I rode the short route! It was a totally different route from any of the other times I've done it. I now have a new nemisis hill jobob - Valley Ford-Franklin School. At one point it was a 9% + grade. Gasp.. I'm a little embarassed to say, I had to walk part of it.

My friends, Bob and Tommy rode the metric century - which was actually 71 miles! They had some nasty headwinds on the last half, on top of going up Marshall-Petaluma Rd from the east. We all agreed, this was the toughest Hostein ever - we'll be back next year! :p

Trek420
08-22-2004, 06:10 PM
sounds good! maybe next year for me, i'd better start training now.

I was born and raised in that part of the globe I just love that area, most beautiful spot on earth. I had family obligations today (meeting long lost cousin, it was great) but maybe next year.

how's the food? :p

snapdragen
08-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Excellent! Rest stops had cantaloupe, oranges, p b & j on bagels, potatoes, nanners, most importantly - little pink and white animal cookies...:D

Post ride was chicken or vege frittata, an excellent rice pilaf - lots of nuts, cranberries etc., salad and ice cream.

This year's patch and tshirt is great - go here to see:

http://www.wmss.org/holstein/index.htm

jobob
08-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Lee & I are putting a list together of all the rides we're doing next year - the Holstein is definitely one of them!

Trek420
08-22-2004, 06:29 PM
real purdy! I love it "scenery may be browner than appears"

remind me in case I forget close to registration next year, I'm almost needing the beneficiaries services (west marin senior center) so I could forget.

I love the Sonoma/Marin coast.:p :rolleyes: :cool:

Veronica
08-23-2004, 06:25 AM
How was the weather for it this year? Last year Thom and I did the century on the tandem. It was cold and foggy in the morning. By the time we were done it was about 95. I hate rides like that because I just can't get the clothing right. We started off in wool and jackets. I ended up in my jog bra. It's a good thing we carry sunscreen. :D

I spent my weekend putting in a retaining wall.

V.

snapdragen
08-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Weather was perfect for me - cool and overcast. I wore arm warmers most of the time. The sun came out around 3:00 for a little bit.
I've done this ride in the sweltering heat too, I much prefer the cool.

V - are you familiar with the Marshall-Petaluma Road? The metric century went up it from the east side this year -- looked at my Krebs map -- yikes! If I read it right it's about 1000 feet of climbing in 2+ miles.

Veronica
08-23-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm not familar with the roads up there at all. I just remember that the century had a lot of climb and some were pretty steep. We didn't walk any, but at one point we had to pull over to cool down. I think our real problem with tandem riding is that in group rides we tend to go too fast early on. It works in a metric, we don't burn out. But in a century, the last miles are always tough.

It was really pretty country though. Maybe we'll give it a try again next year.

Veronica