View Full Version : Dermoid Cyst

05-31-2007, 06:04 PM
I learned yesterday that the source of my back/pelvic pain is most likely the result of a tennis ball size dermoid cyst which is attached to my left ovary. Both the cyst and the ovary will be removed laproscopically on June 12. Has anyone undergone this procedure? What should I expect?

Doc has told me I'll need to stay off my bike for three weeks:mad: but I'm hoping it will be shorter recovery time. I'll be allowed to drive three days post-op but not allowed to lift anything heavy. I am relieved to finally know the source of my pain but a bit nervous about this outpatient procedure.

06-01-2007, 11:45 AM

I've gone through that twice but neither surgery could be done laproscopically. After the second surgery (which also included a hysterectomy), I was back on my bike in two weeks. It was totally unauthorized and I couldn't lift my bike off the car, but I wanted to do it. I had a 6" incision too.

I think you will be fine. Please don't push it and listen to your body but it won't be too horrible. I noticed that my stamina was way down due to the anesthetic; I think that took me almost a month to get rid of!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I know you're in good shape from riding and that helps so much too.

Oh, tell the kitties not to climb on your stomach for a while, especially if they do that kneading thing with their paws :D

06-01-2007, 12:06 PM
I had an endometrial ablation (aka Novasure procedure) done laproscopically and was climbing on the roof cleaning out the gutters three days later.

You'll probably have abdominal muscle soreness from the two tiny incisions through the muscle wall but for me it was a quick recovery. And the best surgery I ever had!

06-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys, I feel so much better after reading your posts. I'll just be glad when they remove the tennis ball from my lower gut and the pain is gone.

06-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Actually, I was going to mention about the anesthesia side effects too. That will actually take longer to clear your system than the procedure. As for the size of the cyst, you should feel immediate relief but don't take that as a sign that you can do more than you should. The most important time is the week following the procedure. That is when most of the base healing will take place. If you are a very good little girl and follow directions, you will back on the bike in no time. Good luck with the procedure and let us know how you are doing.

06-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi Makbike,
its fine to think you will be able to drive in 3 days but just make sure you can do an emergency stop (especially if your abdo is still tender!!!)
Also remeber that although you have had the laparascopic procedure done you still have had major surgery inside to disect the dermoid cyst from where it is adhered to ( I am a midwife now and used to be a surgical nurse)
Please listen to the advice of your surgeon and listen to your body too.
It is possible to have a hernia if you strain your incision following surgery and this would make your recovery even slower
so be patient and you will be back cycling sooner than you think

good luck with the op


06-01-2007, 03:19 PM
I had a similar procedure but a slightly bigger cyst. If you search the forum you'll find a couple posts about it.

It was in my pre-cycling years though.

I suggest that you take it a little easier than you'd like after the operation, as the side effects can be sneaky. I was operated on a Monday and had a doctor's order to stay home for ten days. On the Thursday, I went teaching, which was fine, but I decided to talk home - an energetic 20-minute walk with a few kilograms of groceries in my hands and a laptop computer on my back - and I was back in the hospital on the weekend with a fever, all-over muscle soreness, and fear of an infection. It turned out that I was okay, but it could have been worse. I could have been just a bit more careful...

Good luck! You'll feel much better after the operation!!!

06-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Remember everyone has their own recovery rate and everyone else will tell you not to push it. I won't tell you that because I got on my bike the first time 10 days post surgery (abdominal hysterectomy, removed one ovary with cyst, cleaned up endometriosis, long incision) and 15 days post surgery I was back to bike commuting. (I posted a funny story about that a couple days ago.) Of course I did this despite dr's orders to the contrary. I was supposed to wait 6 wk.

While it was no fun undergoing that kind of surgery at my age (31 at the time, 2 yrs ago) the upside was that my age & fitness made for a fast recovery.

As of this week, I can now also say that one can bike the day after one's colonoscopy. At least with a brooks saddle!

Mr. Bloom
06-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Marcie, is this the problem that you thought was a gall bladder problem a couple weeks ago?

Geez, I get amazed at these huge cysts that people can have. When we met, you weren't big enough to have a tennis sized anything inside you! Me on the otherhand, I can have a watermelon sized cyst in me and pull it off well

I'll have the 12th on my calendar and will fire a prayer your way. Wishing you godspeed in recovery!

06-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Humm, just a word from the wanna-be wise:

Infection is not something you want to end up with. If you get laparoscopic surgery, it's unlikely but could happen if the wound doesn't heal well and quickly enough. If you would turn out to get a full incision (I doubt it, but it can happen), the risk is higher.

Post-op infection can not only be very painful, but cause you all sorts of long-term problems, or kill you. So you want to be gentle with those wounds.

I do encourage starting exercise earlier than you're supposed if you're up to it, but do go slow enough to hear whatever your body has to say before it's too late, if necessary...

06-02-2007, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Silver;208335]Marcie, is this the problem that you thought was a gall bladder problem a couple weeks ago?QUOTE]

Actually the doctors found this quite by chance. They had sent me to the hospital for a CT scan to rule out other upper GI issues. They, for reasons I don't understand but am grateful for, ordered a full abdominal CT scan. The CT scan revealed that the lining of my stomach was "extensively thickened" and that there was a mass in my pelvic region.

The stomach doctor they sent me to thinks I may have picked up a bad virus and advised me to take care of the tumor in my lower abdomen first. I went for an ultrasound on Wednesday at which time it was confirmed and surgery was scheduled for the 12th.

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes.

Mr. Bloom
06-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Wow! And with all this going on, you rode the Horsey Hundred!

06-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I simply figured it was best to keep myself busy. Riding kept me from playing the "what if" game given at that point all I knew was I had a growth which scared the living daylights out of me! Also figured the endophrine rush would not hurt either.

06-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Marcie (I love your avatar so much!) -

I am so sorry you had concerns when you were riding. I'm glad you were riding, of course, because it'll make your recovery all the easier. Honestly, I think you'll go through it and think "is this all it was?" and be back on your bike far sooner than you think. Just, as people have said, be careful. The anesthetic whupped my backside pretty good and it tends to whenever I have surgery. Some recovery things are subtle too...healing takes energy. Just be nice to your body, realize it needs you right now, and don't get frustrated. I had jaw surgery a year ago and I'm just now coming around from it! Growing bone is difficult! There were good days then I'd have expectations and be frustrated because the next day wouldn't be better.

I'm so glad you found out what the problem is though. And if you want really perverse and icky reading, check out your pathology records after :D I did after the first one.

I bet anything after this you will be ok, not in pain, and riding as well as you were before you took the unexpected hiatus.

06-04-2007, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the compliment about my avatar. It is a picture of my buddy Penelope. She was one of three kittens my dogs found in my shed last year. They were a week old when I took them in (feared my dogs would kill them and felt mom had abandon them). She is a wild girl with a ton of personality.

The long rides last weekend actually helped to lift my spirits. All I knew at that point, according to my doctor, was they had discovered a large mass in my pelvic region - no more, no less. As is human nature I started playing the "what if" game. In reality the worse part was trying to figure out if I should tell me parents or wait until I had the ultrasound and talked directly to my doctor the following week. I simply did not know how to handle this so after the ride on Sunday I called my oldest sister for some good old fashion sisterly advice. I knew she would be honest with me and help me figure out how to best handle the situation. So after two good days of riding, a great endorphrine rush and talking to my sister I felt mentally stronger.

At the moment I'm not worried at all about my upcoming surgery - I'm simply ready for them to remove the growth and ovary and begin my recovery. I know I have a huge circle of friends and family saying prayers for me and that too is a giant comfort.

I've been reading about dermoid cyst, teratomas or "monster tumors" this week. The pictures are rather gross but also pretty cool - amazing what they find in these growths - hair, teeth, thyroid tissue, etc. Nature does some strange things is all I can say.

I'm going to be okay and I know it. Life is good this I know. Whatever comes my way I'll handle as best I can and if necessary I'll put up a good fight.

06-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Yup, you'll be fine. With all the good vibes being sent your way, it can't be any other way!;)

A friend of mine had an ovarian cyst -- 9 pounds worth!:eek: :eek: Her's was major surgery in that it had actually grown up into her chest. She's fine and dandy now - although she no longer has a belly button because of the incision they had to make.

06-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I will send good thoughts your way on the 12th. I will be getting my braces (good thing, no?!) so I think that means good things will happen for both of us that day. Nature does some very strange things. I remember reading about the teeth and hair and just thinking "what?!!! :eek: "!!

I'm so glad they caught it early. They can get very large, mine was 11 x something, can't remember. That was the first one. The second was spiked and was about to puncture intestine. I have a scar from my navel on down (first one) and another one that is straight across hip-to-hip. I'm envious that you won't have muscle trauma there! I think that'll make your recovery very fast. It's also good that they are willing to do the surgery that way, if there was any risk of having it be potentially bad, they would open you up.

Penelope looks like one of my fur kids named Brigit. Brigit's pretty wild too but is also very affectionate. She's so funny because she chooses her battles; she stays curled up on the couch until she senses immediate danger to her specifically, not the other cats. She knows when the carrier is meant for her and when it isn't!

Are you stocked up on books and/or magazines? Think of it as a chance to catch up on all that stuff you wanted to read. I bet you'll be surrounded by cats at most times! Is there anything you need?

06-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Teigyr - I picked up the book on Einstein to read during my "couch time." I also have a stack of National Geographics I want to enjoy. I'm positive I'll have lots of cat help.

There really isn't anything I need at the moment. The basement repair guys are right on schedule to finishing their work by Friday. The new gutters will arrive Friday afternoon. BF, my dad and I will put the new gutters on my house/garage on Saturday. New driveway goes down on Monday. I'll hopefully get my house back in order before my surgery on Tuesday. There is so much to be done but I know it will all be completed on time and I won't have to worry about any of it during my recovery. My focus will be on getting well and back on my feet/bike.

06-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Marcie, how are you doing???

06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm alive and kicking, well maybe not kicking but I'm up and about. I'm moving slowly and am bored, very bored.

My doctor told my parents that the cyst and ovary were softball size:eek: so it appears "Junior" was growing like a weed for only two weeks ago he was just the size of a tennis ball. The growth was benign and that was by far the best news of all.:)

I'm very bruised on the right side and the bruising appears and feels like it is very deep. My guess is this must have been the side they worked out of for the left side (the side with the growth) feels great and has little bruising. I've been putting ice packs on my right side to help reduce some of the bruising and swelling and it does seem to be helping.

I took three short walks yesterday, each about 1/2 mile or so. I walked about 3/4 miles this morning and am planning on another walk this afternoon. My mom took me to Wal-mart this morning so I could do some shopping (I can't drive until tomorrow). It felt great to be out of the house albeit brief.

Yesterday was not a good day mainly because of the discomfort from the bruising. Today is a bit better and I know with each passing day I'll feel better and stronger. I just have to figure out how to reduce my boredom levels.

So all in all life is good. Thanks for asking about me.

06-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Woohoo! You are way ahead of the recovery curve. Are you sleeping ok? I can't believe the distances you are walking already and going to the store is HUGE step :D

I thought about you tons but figured you'd still be in the hospital. It sounds like they caught Junior in the nick of time - imagine if he/she wasn't found until 6 mos from now? I am so glad it's benign too, that must be a huge relief.

Think of this as an earned, and boring, vacation. Take care of yourself and I am so glad you are doing well.

06-14-2007, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=teigyr;212945] Are you sleeping ok?

I thought about you tons but figured you'd still be in the hospital. It sounds like they caught Junior in the nick of time. QUOTE]

Sleeping is an issue but I did actually sleep a lot better last night. I can't seem to get comfortable and regardless of how I position myself my right side has an opinion and never a good one at that. However, the vicodan they sent home with me does knock me out for a bit. I'm sure my sleep patterns are a real mess at present as well. I'm trying hard not to take a nap today and hope to stay up past 8:00 this evening. I think if I can resume my normal sleep hours things will improve.

I entered the hospital at 6:15 a.m. and was home by 11:00 a.m. I'm not sure how long the surgery actually took but I'm estimating about 1 - 1 1/2 hours for I do remember them telling me I would spend about an hour in recovery. Once I was able to eat two crackers and swallow a pill I was sent to stage two recovery where they removed my IV and out the door I went.

I'm glad they got to junior when they did. I kind of feel like I had a sporting goods section developing in my gut - tennis ball, softball and lord I can only image what the next ball would have been (basketball, volleyball, etc). Glad that department has been closed for good.

I took another stroll after lunch and will venture out again after dinner. My goal is to walk an additional lap each day (I live on a big circle). As I feel up to it I'll continue on this plan.

My mom is here and I know she has to be bored stiff - not much to do (she has COPD so she stays indoors as much as she can). I think she is heading home Saturday and my dad is returning on Wednesday to finish up some work he started last week on my house.

I do get to start driving tomorrow and I'm looking forward to having that freedom returned. There is a club ride on Saturday evening after which a lot of the riders go to dinner. I'm thinking of driving in just for the dinner part :D I think once I can start driving again the boredom factor will decrease tremendously.

I'm sure each new day will bring with it new improvements and before long this will be behind me. I simply must take it one day at a time.

06-14-2007, 01:29 PM

It sounds like you are doing very well, given everything. Best wishes for continued quick healing, and thanks for the update. SO glad the growth was benign! :)


06-16-2007, 05:47 PM

Did you get to drive? How're you feeling??

06-16-2007, 05:57 PM
teigyr - I did start driving Friday and continue to walk three times a day. I live on a big circle (about .4 miles around) and complete 4 laps today (morning, noon and evening for a grand total of 12 laps). I actually feel pretty darn good. I see my doctor on Wednesday and am hoping that maybe she will reduce my recovery period.

Now, mentally it is a very different story - BF showed at my door this afternoon and announced he is ending our 3 year relationship. Talk about a kick in the gut. Now that I am physcially healing it appears I also have some mental healing to do as well.

Life goes on and I can only trust it will get better on all fronts soon.

06-16-2007, 06:23 PM
oh no, I can't believe it. Decorum prevents me from saying what I want to but I think you deserve far better.

You're strong, things will get better. I am so sorry though, he picked a fine time to show his true colors.

I'm glad you seem to be doing ok, at least physically. I keep having these visions of junior getting bigger and kicking ex-bf's backside...

You are/were too good for him. Grrrrrr....things'll turn around, I know it.

06-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks Teigyr. I'll survive but at the moment I'm just a bit blue. I agree his timing well sucked. My mom had just left for home before he showed up on my doorstep. In fact she called while he was here I had to ask her to call back in a bit. She did call back twice and by the second call she was mad as hell. I would not want for the two of them to meet in a dark alley for I think she could take him.

I have to go by his place tomorrow to pick up my stuff and just maybe my mind will be able to function and I can ask some questions that may help give me some closure. It has been a long time since I've gone through something like this and it reminds me why I took myself out of the playing field for so many years.

06-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Oh I know I could take him. Never mess with a 5'11" redhead with many pairs of pointed toe boots. Send him out this way. Please?

Dunno, I'm very much a believer of defining people by their actions. This one action defines him so many ways. Even if this was justified for whatever reason (and I can't think of any), it was handled in the rudest of ways. A good person would have supported you during this and been there helping. A good person, even if it wasn't the right person, would want what was best for you as a friend.

I know it's hard but remember you will end up happy. These things have a way of sorting themselves out and people like that (him) perpetuate their own really bad karma. He will be himself....which is not a good thing. Never ceases to amaze me.

Tomorrow just keep reminding yourself that HE is the one losing out, not you. You can and will be around people who don't do what he did either in a relationship or in friendship.

rant over :)

06-16-2007, 07:17 PM
The best advice I can give (not that you're looking for it but it's good) is to treat yourself well. When I got divorced, a friend told me to get a massage or get a manicure or pamper myself in some way. While it was not much of a consolation at the time and while it didn't make me immediately happy, I started feeling better about myself and life. So do what makes you happy and be selfish about it :D

06-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Teigyr it is a new day now so hopefully today will go just a little better than yesterday.

I'll be attending the ride captain course that ex-BF will help teach but i refuse to allow him to dictate, even from afar, what i do. i've made arrangements to meet him afterwards so that i can collect my belongs at his place. it will be a hard day i'm sure but i'll get through it

thanks for the suggestions and words of encouragement - i need all the help i can get at the moment.

06-16-2007, 10:02 PM

I'm glad your surgery went well, and your recovery is going well, too.

The BF thing sucks, though, and I hope you're following teigyr's advice. She's right. You're fabulous, he's the one losing out and you need to pamper yourself and give you everything you need to remind you that you're wonderful!

Orange and red confidence enhancing butterflies, along with white and blue calm and relaxing butterflies headed your way!


06-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys. I wish i felt good about myself at the moment. As my mom said this afternoon time heals all wounds and though I feel this one is pretty deep I know it could be a lot worse. I simply do not want to end bitter over this - the handwritting was on the wall I simply kept telling myself we would work things out and turn it around for the better. How wrong I was. The hard part will be the bike club functions since we attended those together. I will not stop riding with the club because he walked away from me. I wish I could ride tomorrow for I'd kick his a** on the afternoon ride :D

I really need to ride to work some of this off but won't see my doctor until Wednesday afternoon. Of course, I'll share with her the fact the I had to tote a 40 lb bag of dog food in my house (I was gentle). She will probably have a thing or two to say I'm sure.

I'll be fine I'm sure.

06-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Grrrrr...Sorry to hear about the BF marcie :(

Shall we send kit's boot his way? If not, i can send some cold wind via subliminal messages :) It may take some logistical planning but i'm sure it can be arranged.

Good to hear you're healing well :)


06-17-2007, 01:27 AM
ahem.....40 lbs?! Bad Marcie! Bad bad bad!!!

Let us know how it goes tomorrow. You are being the better person and I do believe, when you're ready, a proper backside kicking on the bike is in order.

I know it's hard, trust me on this. Be who you are and it'll all come together though it doesn't feel like it initially. Just remember that there are people thinking about you.


06-17-2007, 09:26 AM
No more lifting for awhile, I promise. I would have asked a neighbor to help but given my emotional state I did not want to be around anyone even if for a brief "let me help" you one. I think everything is okay and will be okay inside - no pain, no swelling, etc. At least now my Great Dane, Gaston, can eat and be happy.

I really don't want to be mean or nasty toward him - there is already enough pain to go around for quite some time. He is hurting just as I am so the best we can do is be cordial and civilized toward one another.

I am going to the ride captain training session this afternoon and yes he will be teaching the class. I will be do my best not to strangle him in front of the other students :D Afterward, I'm meeting him at his place so I can gather my belongings and we can close this chapter in both of our lives. I do have some questions I want answered before I leave and close this chapter in my life. Time to move forward and not focus on the pain.

06-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Marcie, how're you doing? I'm glad you aren't lifting anymore :D Have you seen the dr yet and are you released earlier than later?

You ok otherwise?


06-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Jane, thanks for checking on me. It has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions most of the weekend and today. I have my good moments when I realize that what has happened with exBF is for the best. I have bad moments when I realize how much I miss him and will miss him. Like today I realized that the big bike event here this year would be different - I would have to find a place to stay for we would not be sharing his tent. I have contacted a couple of good friends and talked with them at length and afterwards I feel better but too fades. The nights suck! Every night before I would go to sleep regardless if we were together or at our respective homes I would say "Good night _____, I love you." Last night I realized that was not a good way to close my night so I simply wished him peace. I picked up my personal items last night. He did not want to talk but finally let me in so we could talk - I had questions I needed answered to help with my closure. Before I left I handed him a letter I wrote, very honest and frank. I don't know if he read it or tossed it but it made me feel better to put my feelings on paper. I've scheduled an appointment with a counselor I've meet with a couple of times in the past for tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping she will give me some guidance.

I see my doctor on Wednesday for my post-op check up and I'm hoping she will let me out of "recovery prison" soon! I've been good no heavy lifting. I cleaned my house today and gave both of my dogs a much needed bath. Not much I can do given my restrictions.

Life goes on and I'm doing my best to heal both physcially, emotionally and mentally. It will get better I know.

06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Makbike - I'm glad to hear that you are getting better physically. Keep being good to yourself and give it proper time to heal.
As for the exBF, these things just take time, no matter how they end. I ended mine at the beginning of the year. It was as nice of an ending as anyone could hope for, but it still hurt like crazy. Every now and again, it still hits me that I don't see that person everyday anymore and that, even though we stayed good friends, the things we now talk about are far removed from what we could before the breakup.
You will make it through stronger, wiser and more sure of just what you do want in life. Learn from every relationship and build on that and eventually you will find the one that brings it all together.

Good luck and come chat anytime you need to.

06-18-2007, 06:36 PM
You will make it through stronger, wiser and more sure of just what you do want in life. Learn from every relationship and build on that and eventually you will find the one that brings it all together.

Good luck and come chat anytime you need to.

what she said :)

I hate to sound all cheery because I remember being awake late at night and letting things all compound. I also remember being in a panic periodically during the day and crying over silly things. I felt lost without a journal because I didn't want to burden my friends so I wrote. It gets so much better though.

06-19-2007, 10:54 AM
I was going to just PM this but couldn't figure out how to do a picture. Here's my cat that your avatar reminds me of! She was feral and her ear is clipped to show she was spayed in a feral cat round-up. She's still a bit wild and this picture is BAD, I couldn't find the camera so I took it from the cell.