PDA

View Full Version : Boston Races?

freshsushi
05-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Hello Northeasten-ers!

I'll be visiting Boston next month and I was looking for a road race or criterium to attend during my visit (figured it would be fun to see the difference between Northeast racing vs Northwest) Do any of you know of a good website where I can find that information?

trekin'
06-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Try this link: http://www.ne-bra.org/pages/calendar/showCalendar.asp

When will you be in the area? Maybe you'll also get to meet some Northeast TE bikers as well!

freshsushi
06-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Oh perfect, that was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I'm going to be there from tomorrow through the 10th, hopefully I'll meet some of you at one of these events. :D

CycleChic06
06-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I keep hearing about a new race this year, Montreal to Boston. I read about it here and there, but I can't find anything official, as in dates and locations so I can watch!

Has anyone heard about this and know anything?

Emily

trekin'
06-04-2007, 04:00 AM
FreshSushi- Too bad you didn't post sooner...I could have met you for a biking event had I known (my calendar fills up about a week in advance)! In any event, I hope you enjoy all Boston has to offer!

CycleChic06- I thought I read somewhere that the planned Montreal to Boston race was being postponed for a year...can't remember where I saw it, however.

CycleChic06
06-05-2007, 05:01 PM
weird...i just read in the latest Boston Magazine. But no other info was offered up. Guess I'll hear more about it if it's really gonna happen.

SheFly
06-06-2007, 04:14 AM
The Montreal-Boston race is definitely NOT happening this year - it has been postponed to next year instead. Here's the press release:

May 9, 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Boston, MA: Mayor Thomas M. Menino of Boston and Mayor Gérald Tremblay of Montreal today announced that the organizers of the first Montréal-Boston Tour, a professional men's cycling race, have requested that the race scheduled for August 5-12, 2007, be postponed until 2008 due to the complexities of planning a cross border, multi-state event in a relatively short amount of time.

Both Mayors have agreed to support the race in 2008 and will continue to work with the organizer, Mr. Daniel Manibal, to ensure its success. They also expressed their thanks to all of the cities and towns along the race route who have worked to design a course that showcases the beauty of Quebec and New England. While acknowledging the level of professionalism of the organizers and the work already accomplished by all parties, the Mayors agreed that by postponing the race, the organizers will have more time to create an international event that will attract the world's elite riders and can be replicated annually. They also are planning some ancillary events that promote healthy living and the importance of teamwork through sports.

Mayor Menino said "This event is about much more than a bike race. It's about promoting our tourism, growing our economies and educating people about both the health benefits of bicycling and the history and culture along the route." We have so much in common with Montréal on these issues and I look forward to working with Mayor Tremblay to use the race as a way to highlight our commonalties and exchange ideas." "We are proud to strengthen our friendship with the City of Boston and support them in the organization of a cyclist competition of international calibre. Even though our cities can be in adverse camps in other sports such as hockey, we are partners with Boston and will support this cyclist race project. " added Mayor Tremblay.

The Montreal-Boston tour was granted a category 2.1 license by the International Cycling Union (UCI) in September of 2006. Such a license enables organizers to invite the same caliber of professional racers and national teams as the Tour de France. The organizers have advised the UCI about the postponement and have requested an extension of the license.

Details about the 2008 race will be announced in September.

Boston Contact: Julie Burns (617) 635-4447
Montréal Contact: Bernard Larin 514 872-9998

CycleChic06
06-06-2007, 07:53 PM
oh that's too bad. Oh well, I'll look forward to it next year!