PDA

View Full Version : trouble stopping and starting at traffic lights

llv24
08-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Maybe it's because I get nervous, but I get so clumbsy when I come to red lights because it's so hard for me to come to a stop and then starting up again without fumbling around looking like a 6 year old on a bike with out training wheels for the first time. What am I doing wrong? Any pointers? I have cage pedals.... and for this reason specifically, my boyfriend doesn't think I'm ready for clipless yet and frankly neither do I.... help:confused:

Tek
08-22-2004, 04:19 AM
I've never used cage pedals- Only normal and clipless.

It would seem to me that the cage pedals are harder to get ou of were as with properly fitted clipless, you just twist amd are out.

Not to say that you won't fall over a few times when you first learn. Just make sure you have grass where you are learning. =)

oldbikah
08-22-2004, 06:45 AM
Have used all 3 types of pedals (platform, cage, clipless) and I think (by far) clipless are the best. They are way easier to get in and out of than those horrid cages, your feet do not slip as on platform. I agree..practice in a soft spot and set on really light tension at first; actually I keep them fairly light. (I am not a real aggressive rider ) Also with clipless, you can spin a couple of revolutions without being fully cllipped in when you need to get going. Get some, you'll love them.

Tek
08-22-2004, 07:23 AM
To be honest, I actually fee safer in my clipless pedals because I am attached to my bike. It makes it easier for me to get more power to speed out of trouble or on the few occasions I have needed to do some manuver to physically move my bike to get out of harms way, I can because the bike is a part of me, so to speak.

At first I was scared of them but once I learned I am more afraid without.

Trek420
08-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Tek wrote" I actually fee safer in my clipless pedals because I am attached to my bike."

sometimes you can accelerate out of trouble better than you can brake out of it. without clipless I feel like when driving and I realise my seatbelt is not on...does not feel safe.

aka_kim
08-22-2004, 01:09 PM
llv24, maybe you just need more practice in less stressful situations than traffic lights. When you approach a stop, try disengaging your foot early, and then flipping the cage over to the platform side. At first this usually requires looking down, but after awhile your foot will "remember" what to do. Same goes when starting up, take a few pedal strokes on the platform side to get yourself moving and balanced, then flip the cage into position. And I don't know that toe cages are more or less difficult to get in and out of than clipless, just different -- but after some practice they both become second nature.

llv24
08-22-2004, 02:45 PM
thanks for all of your responses... I think I will eventually get clipless pedals but for now I think I'll try and master the cages... thanks again!:D

maryellen
08-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Do you try gearing down a bit just before you stop? That helps me get off to a quicker start after the stop.

Also, do you stay out of the saddle for a bit after a start? That helps me add power to the start.

jplum4
08-22-2004, 04:57 PM
My husband and I bought road bikes yesterday and went out to the bike trail. Of course, the very first thing that I did was to fall over (couldn't get out of the clips!). But I must admit, it wasn't bad at all and that is the only problem I had. THe clips really are easy to use, and if I can do it, I know that you can!

Good luck!

Trek420
08-22-2004, 06:03 PM
aka_kim advised "When you approach a stop, try disengaging your foot early, and then flipping the cage over to the platform side."

when in doubt, clip out ;-):p

llv24
08-22-2004, 07:02 PM
shifting down is definitely something I haven't tried. I'll make sure to do it next time. :o) Thanks all!! I'll update you all with my progress... I was riding a mtn bike for a bit but then my boyfriend surprsied me with a new road bike, so although there are many things I still need to learn, so far it's been a blast! :p

KkAllez
08-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by llv24
I have cage pedals.... and for this reason specifically, my boyfriend doesn't think I'm ready for clipless yet and frankly neither do I.... help:confused:

Ya know, this post has bugged me all week. I didn't respond because I figured what I'd have to say would be radical and I didn't want to sound rude or critical of your boyfriend, so don't take it that way.....but.....here I go....

Caged pedals ought to be outlawed. To me they are the most dangerous type of pedal you can use. You simply cannot get out of them fast enough in an emergency situation. Starting on caged pedals until you are "ready" for clipless is tantamount to learning to ride a giraffe until you are good enough for a horse. From my personal experience the only thing clipless and caged have in common is that they are pedals.

Clipless look daunting but I promise you, they are very easily mastered. Even in moments when I panicked and forgot how to get out of them my foot naturally twisted and popped me out. I use Eggbeaters and the most trouble I ever had in the beginiing was actually finding the sweet spot on take off and getting clipped into them. But I just kept pedaling and generally in a rotation or two I've got it.

I'm sure your boyfriend means well and has your best interests in heart but I'd think you'd be much, much happier, not to mention safer in clipless.

Okie dokie...hope I didn't step on any toes here.

slinkedog
08-28-2004, 03:52 PM
One thing my hubby showed me (after he saw me fall over at a stoplight) was that when I clip out with my right foot, turn my front wheel to the left... it makes the weight of the bike naturally fall to the right (and vice versa.) I was clipping out really early and coasting and then if my bike was leaning opposite of my clipped out foot, I would fall. He's trying to get me to clip out right before I actually come to a stop. It's scary to me, but it's working. I haven't fallen since I started trying both things.

Dogmama
08-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Practice in quiet neighborhoods before you take your show on the road.

I agree with Kim about caged pedals. Especially if you're wearing sneakers - they can get caught in the cage when you're trying to get out of them.

When I got my first clipless pedals (back in the stone ages before "float") the bike shop put my bike on a trainer and I practiced clipping in & out over & over again. They also positioned the clip so that it was correct for my foot & pedal stroke. If you bike shop balks - put your hair up under your hat, swagger in, spit on the floor & scratch your crotch. They'll think you're a man & they'll take you seriously.

<was that out loud?>:p

Tek
08-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Personally, I think I would be more scared to be in a cage!!

I'm actually thinking about getting new shoes and clips.

Perhaps I should start another thread about what is a good system to use.

Dogmama
08-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Oooohhhhh new shoes! Yes! I bought some new Sidi's about a year ago and I was absolutely amazed at how much more power I had in my pedal stroke. Of course, my old shoes were over 10 years old. They were Time's - made for a man (this was before they thought women road bikes.)

caligurl
08-30-2004, 08:05 AM
my bike came home from the store with clipless pedals on it! if it hadn't.. i would have NEVER clipped my foot into that contraption! would have used it like a walmart/kmart bike..

those things look barbaric (the strap kind!)

CorsairMac
09-23-2004, 09:26 AM
I used platforms and cages - I'm not sure there were even clipless pedals when I started riding. (ROFL) I will Never use cages - they scare the heck outta me and I was forever playing the game of trying to get started without my toe in the cage until I could find the time to flip the pedal etc etc. And the time I had to swerve real sharp on take off and dragged the cage on the ground?...OFF came the cages. I just got a new bike - again - and I haven't invested in the clipless yet - but they will prolly be on in the next 2 wks. Thnks ALL of you btw for your advice on the clipless - these will be my first pair and I'm excited, nervous, anxious, can't stand the waiting!

HBK
09-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Oooohh, now this is the sort of debate that I joined this group for. And, highly relevant to me. As I mentioned I am riding primarily in NYC right now. The realm in which we ride is nothing but intersections and stop lights (except for the new bike path that Mayor Bloomberg has had built around Manhattan. There are obstacles there too of course but more on that later.) I am familiar with using toe cages/clips from my early cycling days, nevertheless they frustrate me terribly in the short stopping, taxi cutting off and sudden door opening environment I am forced to deal with. I have almost killed myself a couple of times. Coupled with the foot cramps I have been having from wearing sneakers, this makes for a less enjoyable situation than I would like. I am on the verge of taking the "clipless plunge" mainly because I really NEED cycling shoes anyway. My husband, of course, thinks I am crazy. He can be forgiven though, he was a first time cyclist at age 45 and has never had real cycling shoes. He frequently rides 25 miles in socks and sandals using platform pedals! :eek: So, any advice about which system is the most forgiving, which shoes you can wear and actually walk around the city in, how and where to practice will be VERY welcome.

Thanks again,

Holly

Veronica
09-28-2004, 02:40 PM
There's nothing wrong with using platform pedals - especially for city riding. You may find them much more sensible. My pedals are double sided - SPDs on one side, platform on the other. I commute to work in my regular work shoes. Short things around town, going to the dentist, eye doctor etc. I use the platforms. I have looked for shoes that are flat, reasonably stylish and comfortable. I like a more rigid sole too. Summers I wear white sneakers from LL Bean. For the winter I wear a couple of pair of Eccos.

Clipless is NOT a necessity! If you prefer it - go clipless by all means. If you're racing you probably need to be clipless. For a long ride, I like to be clipless. But it won't make you substantially faster. I know, I've timed myself both ways! Or climb better. I've tested that theory too.

Enjoy the ride!

Veronica

slinkedog
09-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Gee, if this is true (your research on platforms vs. clipless) maybe I'll just go platform for a while so I'm not so nervous all the time!! How long do you consider a 'long ride?'

Veronica
09-28-2004, 04:07 PM
I've done twenty miles or so with sneakers and platforms. I've ridden up Mount Diablo that way - including the 18% grade at the top and I routinely stand on my platforms and climb. My times up the mountain are all within a couple minutes of each other. Maybe other people would get different results.

When I first got my Rivendell I figured I'd give Grant's (Rivendell's owner) philosophy a try. He never rides clipped in and has great legs! But my cadence wasn't as smooth when I wasn't clipped in and with friction shifters, smooth is important. I've since gotten a lot smoother so that's not so important anymore. If I'm going to do what I think of as more "aggressive" riding, I'd rather be clipped in. It just feels better to me. But I've always ridden clipped in since we got our first mountain bikes in '88 or '89.

It is important to find a comfortable shoe and that is one reason I prefer clipless. I found that all my shoes would eventually get too much flex in them to be comfortable on a longer ride. I would eventually feel the teeth of the platforms through the sole. So twenty is about my limit.

Veronica

coolbeansbikes
09-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Have you all considered mini toe clips (cages)? I had these for a long time before I went clipless and found them very easy to use!

They are similar to cages, but only cover your toes, and do not have straps on them.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=108&subcategory=1077&brand=&sku=8044&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

HBK
09-28-2004, 05:35 PM
This is a vry interesting discussion... I do find that my pedaling is more smooth and efficient with the clips. And believe me at my level of cycling I need all the help (especially on hills and bridge ramps ;) ). But I am thinking I will go without too, untill I make up my mind.

Keep it coming!

Holly

maryellen
09-29-2004, 05:34 AM
I too use toe clips without straps. Very helpful for NYC stop and go traffic, though I am hoping to transition to clipless pedals by next spring--one of several cycling goals.