PDA

View Full Version : Question for "over 40" moms who run

kelownagirl
05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Anyone have bladder leakage issues? I... I mean my friend... has had this problem on occasion. Up until now, she just avoided doing jumping jacks and clenched before she sneezed - that sort of thing. She doesn't have it bad enough to get "work" done to repair, but now that she's running on a regular basis, it's becoming a bit of a problem. If anyone has any suggestions, my friend would appreciate it. :)

annie
05-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Does your "friend" do kegels? If she were to do them faithfully, everyday, she would most likely develop a stronger pelvic floor and not have a problem with, um, leakage........ If the kegel exercises don't help, there are great products called panty liners. Don't know if they'd stay stuck during a run, tho'? Maybe worth a try. Or wear black shorts.

Annie

KnottedYet
05-30-2007, 07:37 PM
There was a thread about this. I think it was titled "jolt" or had the word jolt in the title.

And, if your friend is patient, umm, well, I'll be getting trained in PT for this very problem in a few months. (and though it may sound weird, I'm really looking forward to this. I've always wanted to work in women's health.)

Edit: that will be at my NEW JOB, where they will TRAIN ME and give me REAL WORK to do. (thank you for standing by during our slightly facetious bitter moment. Please be aware that if this had been a truly bitter moment you would have recieved further instructions. Your participation in this bitter moment test has been appreciated.)

mimitabby
05-30-2007, 07:41 PM
There was a thread about this. I think it was titled "jolt" or had the word jolt in the title.

And, if your friend is patient, umm, well, I'll be getting trained in PT for this very problem in a few months. (and though it may sound weird, I'm really looking forward to this. I've always wanted to work in women's health.)

Edit: that will be at my NEW JOB, where they will TRAIN ME and give me REAL WORK to do. (thank you for standing by during our slightly facetious bitter moment. Please be aware that if this had been a truly bitter moment you would have recieved further instructions. Your participation in this bitter moment test has been appreciated.)

Knot, you are getting more and more valuable to us here!
Yes, there was a thread on that. I hope your friend finds some relief, Kgirl!

Wahine
05-30-2007, 08:22 PM
There are lots of women out there like "your friend". This is a very common problem. I would second the suggestion Kegel exercises. You do these by tightening the pelvic floor. There are a couple of ways to learn this. You practice by trying to stop urinating in mid flow. That will give you the feel of the right muscle to use. Then sit on a firm chair with comfy clothing and do the same thing, only this time try to imagine that your pelvic floor muscles are like curtains that you are drawing together at the conter line of the vagina area. Try not to tighten your glutes or legs while doing this. It is natural for your lower abs to tighten somewhat. I try to get my clients to do 10 to 20 every couple of hours if possible. You can also just do a faucet exs in which you stop you urine flow 10 or so times every time you go to the bathroom.

You can also invest in this:

http://www.kegel-exercises.net/pwrx/pages/page.jsp?P_SITE_ID=44&P_PAGE_ID=575&rfid=gkex14&gclid=CN6nipPAt4wCFSnKggodImi4SA

Or buy some of these, (please note the following website contains sexually oriented language, uses the word puzzy many times, so don't go here if your offended by such things):

http://www.lazygeisha.com/mediax/geishaballs.pdf

Now you might think I was joking when I posted that. Although I find the wording of the website quite funny and silly, I actually mean it when I say that you can improve pelvic floor strength by using smartballs or ben wa balls. Smart balls are easiest, and you do want to leave them in for a while (20 to 30 minutes) while standing so you're muscles have to work to keep them in. When that's easy you can progress to ben wa balls. These are much harder to hold in while standing. You can buy these items at a sex shop and they aren't that expensive.

And... you might even get some nice side effects from using them.:D

kelownagirl
05-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks ladies. I've tried to do Kegels on and off since I had kids but I had not heard of the balls in my sheltered life. :o (Now if I could just summon up the courage to buy some. :eek: :eek: )

Tuckervill
05-31-2007, 04:08 AM
A friend of mine actually went to physical therapy for this. They hooked her up to a biofeedback machine and she learned to work different parts and do the Kegels in different ways.

Karen

Pika
05-31-2007, 07:30 AM
Hi Kelownagirl:
You have already received some great advice but I will add in my 2c worth.
I treat ladies for this all the time and there are many products out there other than the balls that you may find better- weighted cones are easy to use and come in a variety of resistances.(don't need to buy them from a sexshop either) Also I agree with Wahine that to be sure you are contracting the right muscles you can try to stop your urine mid stream urine flow BUT I caution you strongly against doing this repeatedly. Do it once to get the feeling then just imagine you are actually doing it.( Your bladder will thank-you).
In your city there are highly trained physios who treat this all the time- they can use biofeedback to help you learn the right muscles to tighten and give you other exercises. pm me and I can give you the name if you are interested. It is really worth it to get specific guidance as most often people have learned different compensations. Women do NOT have to live with this- it is NOT just a part of aging. ( don't let your dr tell you it is!) and you CAN improve with the right exercises - though surgery is still appropriate for some.

Wahine
05-31-2007, 07:39 PM
I treat ladies for this all the time and there are many products out there other than the balls that you may find better- weighted cones are easy to use and come in a variety of resistances.(don't need to buy them from a sexshop either) Also I agree with Wahine that to be sure you are contracting the right muscles you can try to stop your urine mid stream urine flow BUT I caution you strongly against doing this repeatedly. Do it once to get the feeling then just imagine you are actually doing it.( Your bladder will thank-you).

Thanks Pika, it's been a loooooonnnnngggg time since I did any course work on this. I'm glad you chimed in and cleared things up.:) :)

La Victoria
07-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi,

There is a very good book on the subject called "I Laughed So Hard I Peed My Pants." It's written by a physical therapist who specializes in women's health and in bladder control problems in particular. She tells all about this problem and about the correct way to do Kegel exercises so they are effective. It's a good book and I recommend it.

La Victoria