PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing the Peninsula Metric this Sunday?

Susan126
05-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Sunday, June 3rd is the Peninsula Metric. There are a number of mileage options to chose from. Two start/finish locations. One starts at Gig Harbor Medical Pavilion in Gig Harbor and the other starts at the Southworth Ferry Terminal.

More information can be found here:

Peninsula Metric (http://www.twbc.org/events/peninsula/)

I'm trying to talk hubby into doing it with me. He has not been riding like me so he's reluctant (he's a bit out of shape). I have been riding after work the last few weeks. I did a 35 mile ride yesterday in the heat! Argh! The weather looks like it will be nice for the ride. I will probably start at the Gig Harbor start/finish.

Sue

teigyr
05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Once again, I wish! I hope my plans slow down in the near future because it sounds wonderful.

Am going to Juneau to go climb a glacier. As excited as I am, I'm also looking at the potential of bike rentals up there because by going on this trip, I'll be a week without a bike. (Between work and the trip, that is.)

I hope DH does it with you. And I hope it cools down a bit! I've been inside all day today at work but everyone's complaining that it is HOT!

Susan126
05-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Sorry I will miss you teigyr, hubby and I are definitely riding it. But hey, climbing a glacier in Juneau! Wow, can't pass up an opportunity to do that! How awesome!

My daughter and I climbed Mount Peak yesterday (yes in the heat of the day) We went right after work so we hit the trail around 3:30. It is quite the climb. It's a 1.1 mile climb with 1030 feet elevation gain. Quite the cardio vascular workout. We do this every other day. Bike one day hike the next. On Tuesday we did a 35 mile hilly ride. Here's a link to some pictures I took yesterday from the top fo Mount Peak (it's actually called Pinnacle Peak Park in King County).

Pictures from yesterdays hike up Mount Peak (http://www.cyclingaddict.net/mount_peak.html)

Sue :)

like2bike
06-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Sue what beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing. I saw the full moon here in Pittsburgh yesterday evening. Not nearly as beautiful as where you were!

teigyr
06-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Sue, those are incredible pictures! Oddly enough, someone was telling me about that hike just yesterday. I'll have to figure out where it is. Hasn't the moon been incredible? I've gone for walks the last several evenings and I swear I could have been on my bike with no lights. (On a bike trail, not out in traffic!) There's an incredible ride, or at least there was, in Death Valley. It was done by a full moon in the middle of the night! The road was closed and with the reflection on the salt flats, no lights were needed! We had them though, just in case.

It's too bad I will miss the two of you on sunday. I've been so busy and there are so many great rides coming up! Hopefully my life will calm down soon, I need to do some rides!

http://www.northstartrekking.com/

This is what I'll be doing. DH will fly up tomorrow a.m. on the "scenic" Southeast Alaska island hopping flight. I'll get up there as soon as I get off work, will jump on the flight that has room :D

Next good ride that's on a sunday, I am there. This area is so beautiful and I need to start experiencing it!

Susan126
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the link teigyr! Alaska is beautiful! I lived on Fort Wainwright (near Fairbanks) for three years from 83-86. My husband was stationed there back in the 80s. My son, who is now 23, was born there. I especially loved the summers. The long long hours of daylight! I remember my mom flying in for a two week visit. I picked her up at the airport and we got back to the house where we sat for hours chatting. When I looked at the clock on my wall the sun was streaming in and the time was 2:30 AM!!!!!!!! The birds were singing. It was awesome! On the opposite spectrum . . . I hated the Alaskan winters. 20 hours of darkness. Very depressing. At least for me. I wish I would have done a lot more when I lived in Alaska but I was young with two little ones. Joe was always out flying or playing army and I was stuck at home. Someday I think I would like to go back for a visit. Hey teigyr make sure you take a lot of photos! Enjoy yourself AND be safe!

OH MY GOODNESS like2bike . . . say you aren't in Pittsburgh? I was born and raised there. My parents still live there as do one sister (she's in Cheswick)and brother (Oakmont). My other sister and me are the ones who moved out of state. I grew up in Sharpsburg, right along the Allegheny River. I remember biking across the Highland Park Bridge to get to the Zoo! When my dad found out he blew a gasket! I guess I shouldn't tell him about the time I biked to North Park! LOL I sure loved to bike even back in my younger days! I love going home for visits. I went last October for a week and my sisters and I (and our grown kids) went to Fright Night at KennyWood Park! We had a blast riding the Steel Phantom in the dark!

Starfish
06-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Susan, not coming for the Peninsula ride...just not the right timing for me with some personal life commitments. But, keep throwing those out there. One of these days, some of us up this way will all meet! Have a great ride.

like2bike
06-02-2007, 06:36 AM
OH MY GOODNESS like2bike . . . say you aren't in Pittsburgh? I was born and raised there. My parents still live there as do one sister (she's in Cheswick)and brother (Oakmont). My other sister and me are the ones who moved out of state. I grew up in Sharpsburg, right along the Allegheny River. I remember biking across the Highland Park Bridge to get to the Zoo! When my dad found out he blew a gasket! I guess I shouldn't tell him about the time I biked to North Park! LOL I sure loved to bike even back in my younger days! I love going home for visits. I went last October for a week and my sisters and I (and our grown kids) went to Fright Night at KennyWood Park! We had a blast riding the Steel Phantom in the dark!

WOW that is too cool! I live in South Park. Whoa girl you biked across the Highland Park Bridge? Sounds like something crazy I would do as a teenager (back in the day when bike helmets weren't even invented yet!) :eek: North Park is a pretty place to ride, and so is South Park and I live literally 2 minutes from it. Needless to say I spend many days with my DH riding there and soaking it all in. :)

Kennywood is open now! The Steel Phantom is awesome! Come on up! ;)

Susan126
06-02-2007, 07:23 AM
WOW that is too cool! I live in South Park. Whoa girl you biked across the Highland Park Bridge? Sounds like something crazy I would do as a teenager (back in the day when bike helmets weren't even invented yet!) :eek: North Park is a pretty place to ride, and so is South Park and I live literally 2 minutes from it. Needless to say I spend many days with my DH riding there and soaking it all in. :)

Kennywood is open now! The Steel Phantom is awesome! Come on up! ;)

Oh girl don't tempt me! I am a roller coaster freak! My sisters, and our daughters (funny our sons are not into roller coasters?!) just love them! I usually come home every summer for a visit but this summer everyone has finally decided to come out here and visit me! My mom and dad, my two sisters, brother-in-law! Needless to say for 5 days in July I will be busy with company. Doing the tourist thing with them. Showing them the sites. Then they are boarding a cruise ship for Alaska.

Oh and my niece (my younger sister's daughter) is married and lives in Sandusky, Ohio. About one mile from Cedar Point!

Oh like2bike, South Park is absolutely gorgeous too! You're so lucky to live so close by! As beautiful as it is out here I do occasionally get home sick. I have great memories growing up in Pgh . . . my dad and mom are the best. Great vacations to Lake Erie, Story Book Forest, Seven Springs. Sigh. Huge family get togethers, picnics. Now this is telling my age. I remember going to West View Park for our schools "annual school picnic" I know West View is long gone but hey I remember it!

Enjoy your riding at South Park!

AND DON'T WORRY STARFISH . . . I will keep throwing the rides out! :D

:)

AND I'm an avid Steelers and Pirates fan. Going to work on Mariners/Seahawk day I wear my colors. The kids and staff really get a kick out of ribbing me about my choice of teams. LOL

like2bike
06-03-2007, 08:00 AM
AND I'm an avid Steelers and Pirates fan. Going to work on Mariners/Seahawk day I wear my colors. The kids and staff really get a kick out of ribbing me about my choice of teams. LOL

A die hard fan! I love it! If you ever get back to the 'Burgh the game, beers and dawgs are on us! Cheers!

teigyr
06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Sue,

How was your ride? It looks like the weather held out :D

Susan126
06-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Teigyr, the weather and ride were AWESOME!!!!!!!! Here are a few pictures from yesterday's ride:

Joe, Jackie, and me doing the Peninsula Metric! (http://www.cyclingaddict.net/peninsula_metric_2007.html)

We rode 51 miles! It was so hot! But we made it! The support was awesome! We stopped at all three rest stops along the way. The scenery was just phenomenal! The tide was out and I saw two bald eagles sitting on pylons! Joe and Jackie would not stop for me to take a picture. I kept yelling at them but they did not hear me. When we stopped I told them about the eagles and they were sad they missed seeing them. I saw herons, sail boats, a guy fishing (he was up to his waist in water and looked like he was having a great time). It was just a great day! The sun just drained us. When we got home all three of us crashed. LOL But I feel super this morning!

How is Alaska? Did you climb your glacier? Can't wait to hear about it!

like2bike . . . you're on! :D

Sue

Starfish
06-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Great pictures...thanks for posting them!

Susan126
06-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Thanks Starfish! I was glad I brought my camera that day. There were a lot of other shots I wish I had taken but Joe and Jackie did not want to stop! They were into the ride!

The ride was a great one but there was one scary moment. The CRAZY SQUIRREL!!!! Jackie and I were coming down a very steep hill when a squirrel comes running out onto the road in front of us. It stops then does this twitchy back and forth dance, as if it couldn't decided which way to go! Finally, it made a decision and went left off the road! Jackie and I were both hollering at it as we were coming down. When we stopped at the rest stop we looked at each other and said, "Killer squirrels are on the road!" It was both funny and scary. Scary at the moment it was happening but looking back it was funny. I don't even want to think about what might have happened if one of us hit it going 37 mph down hill! :eek:

Oh, and not three miles into the ride my daughter caught a bee in her helmet that stung her. Her head hurt for a while but got better as we cycled on. She was a real trooper and refused to go back. And lucky for her she's not allergic to bees either. Usually I am the one who gets stung (my hubby says it's the lotions I wear) but not this day. But perhaps it was aiming for me and my daughter did a block for her mom?! :D

teigyr
06-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Crazy squirrels, by the way! I saw one squished on the B-G one day and couldn't figure out how that happened. They can be scary!

The glaciers were incredible!!! Here's a sampling of what we saw:

Susan126
06-06-2007, 06:18 AM
Welcome back Teigyr!

Wow what awesome pictures! What an incredible adventure you and your husband had! To do something like that is just fantastic. Not many people can say they walked on a glacier! That is just great! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Sue