PDA

View Full Version : Selle An-Atomica issue

Andrea
05-29-2007, 05:55 PM
I just got my an-atomica on friday, and I've put in about 150 miles so far. I love how it feels on my butt, the only problem is that the edges of the cutout are rubbing/chafing the sides of the "soft tissue" up front. It's like the edges are too sharp & they pinch/rub as the saddle moves with my seatbones.

Have any of you an-atomica owners (or previous owners) had a problem with this? Any way to fix it? Does it break in/go away with more time?

The height and fore/aft adjustment feels great. I've tried adjusting the tension & it's still rubbing and pinching the soft tissue wherther it's loose, tight, or in the middle. It also doesn't matter whether I'm in the drops or sitting up. I do ride with my handlebars lower than my seat, which may put extra weight in that area, but I'm not inclined to change that because I like being able to get in an agressive riding position.

bikerz
05-30-2007, 07:24 AM
I only had that feeling the first day I rode mine, and then it went away.

Someone on another forum that popped up when I searched for this saddle suggested trimming the edges, adding a bevel or champfer (sp?) with an exacto knife to smooth the them. Maybe it was mountainbikereview? Can't remember now but if you don't find it let me know and I can trawl though my history pages.

texaspamrides
05-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Andrea,

I have 4 SA saddles and each has their own "personality." Each person is SO unique, but based on what you've said here are things I'd try and why.

1 - For me, pinching in the front soft tissue area generally means I need just a touch more tension because the extra "sway" puts the clitoral area into the front of the slot. Of course, the reverse could be true - too much tension will raise your bottom and put more pressure on the front, especially if you're in a more aero position.
2 - Something else that has worked for me to relieve pressure in that area is to touch the nose down just a hair below level. 2 of my saddles work best perfectly level, 2 work best a hair below level...go figure! This is especially true if you prefer a more aero position. My tri bike has to have the saddle nose tilted down almost a full cm.
3 - Another consideration is ooching the saddle forward a touch. The SA's are longer than most saddles and though you don't want to mess with your knees by adjusting your fore/aft too much, it's worth trying.

Just remember to ALWAYS measure first!! That's the only way you can put things back the way they were. For the fore/aft position, I'd suggest you measure from the center of your headset to the back of the saddle. That way if you change tension, you're not changing the base of the saddle position. For tilt, I use a level, but you can also measure from a designated point on the nose (I usually use that cutout on the nose) down to the top tube. That way, if you're on a ride and something slips, you can use a tape measure...I don't carry a level riding! :)

After trying a couple of things, you can always contact the company and they can help you with more specific things...one great benefit to a small company! www.mcmwin.com

Good luck - it's working GREAT for me and I've ridden 3400+ miles in the last 90 days. No way I could've without the SA!

Pam
Arlington, TX

Andrea
06-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks for your help, guys- I've put about 350 miles on it now. I have found that tilting the nose to level/a hair below level helps, as does keeping the tension pretty tight. I also took a nail file to the sharp top edges of the cutout, which alleviated any issues that I had as long as the tension is good.

I have been tightening it during every ride, so I'm getting near the end of the tension screw now. I emailed Tom at Selle An-Atomica to ask if maybe I should exchange it for the ED model (less flexible). I'm hoping he works with me on this, because it's awesome when the tension is up, but as soon as it sags, I get chafed by the cutout edges (actually starting to get another cyst down there from it :( ).

Even with the cutout problems, it has definately been the most comfortable thing I've ever put my butt on. I get some ribbing from my teammates about how large and weird it looks, but I've found that all I have to do is invite them to sit on it once and they are amazed at the butt-hammock effect it has.

Andrea
06-27-2007, 06:52 AM
I worked out all of the problems I was having with chafing, but the has ended up stretching out to the point that I've got the tension bolt as tight as it will go. I told Tom at Selle An-Atomica about it and he has a replacement saddle on the way (I don't even have to send the old one back until I get the new one).
Their customer service has been really awesome- Tom and I emailed back & fourth countless times when I was getting the adjustments fine-tuned. I'd highly recommend one of these saddles not just because they're comfortable, but because the customer service is just as wonderful.

mimitabby
06-27-2007, 07:07 AM
I wonder why the saddles are so inconsistent. True, they're a natural leather product, but i would imagine that they would be something like a brooks in terms of predictability. Instead they sound much much more unique from saddle to saddle.

jobob
06-27-2007, 07:56 AM
BikerZ, that reminds me, did you ever get in touch w. Tom about the bump in your saddle?

bikerz
06-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Yes, and I even sent photos, but he didn't seem to see the issue in the photos. Since I keep the tension very tight, that seems to help a bit, but like Andrea, I am running out of room on the screw. Tom did say that was a warrantee issue, and I may send it back when I get to the end of the screw.

Since I have been off the bike for the last few weeks I haven't pursued it. I did do 20 miles on Sunday (ankle is finally more or less back to normal - yay) and after that ride I had a similar sensation of pressure at the very back of the saddle, but it wasn't as bad as before, but it was a short ride, too. I may have confused the issue with him by describing the pain as being my tail bone, but closer inspection shows that it can't actually be my tail bone. it';s a little hard to figure out how to describe it, but I'll pay more attention and try to be more precise when I email back. He was certainly very prompt with his response.

I have noticed that in the photos on the website, the saddles do not seem to have a obvious a bump as mine does, so I'm going to try and take a better photo and email it again to Tom. Except for the back of the saddle pressure, the saddle is perfectly wonderful.

(I am even toying with the idea of getting a red saddle, since I think the color will match my dark red bar tape!)