PDA

View Full Version : deraillier woes

bentforlife
08-20-2004, 06:41 AM
My hubby and I got all the recabling done on the bike and now we are having trouble with the back deraillier. We start off with it on the middle gear but cannot get to go all the way down or up to the other gears. We finally put it on my stationary trainer and will try to get it to work this way. Any ideas short of taking to the LBS would be appreciated.

Donna

MomOnBike
08-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Hmmm, your 'bent, right? Assuming that you did all the obvious things like lube the cable, tweak (or avoid) adjustment screws, etc., what else is there?

I'd look to make sure that the chain is routed properly. On 'bents this can be something of a challenge. And check the chain guide - or whatever that little wheel thing is called - for position.

These are the little things that drive a person nuts and that people like my friend Lee can diagnose before you even tell him what the problem is - over the phone.

Good luck.

bentforlife
10-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Yes, it has taken awhile to figure out what was wrong with the derailler. My bike is still on the trainer for now (in the garage). We've had so much to happen since mid August.. college kid moved back in, she promptly wrecked her car(she's okay, car-$1500). Marching band/football season starts up, youngest daughter is only freshman to make the cymbal line, games and competetions(every Saturday for 6 weeks). The worst allergy season to occur in N. TX gets my asthma flared up...I could go on.

Last night I dragged hubby out to the bike and we worked for an hour and mostly fixed it. It still won't get in to 1st or 9th gear. I'm going to lubricate it well tonight and "ride" it like crazy this weekend. Hubby has gone to the Houston boat show.

I have this Monday and Tuesday off, fall break. If it is still acting up, then into the back of the truck and to the LBS. This should be fun considering I don't have a carrier and the bike is longer than the truck bed. Guess I can take the front wheel off.

Everyone have a great weekend!! :D

bentforlife
10-07-2004, 05:31 AM
I took the bent into the lbs. The hanger and the derailer were bent!(no pun intended here) He asked if it had ever been crashed and I said no. I think it got bent when we stuffed our truck and car into the garage during one of our famous N. TX hail storms. We must have shoved something into the bike, it was up on its pretty rack.

Anyways, it fixed and I'm enjoying it. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy being out there on the road, just time to think. :D

Have a great day! :cool:

Donna