PDA

View Full Version : It's not in my head

SadieKate
05-28-2007, 03:22 PM
There are a lot of oddball things that careen around in my head, but it's nice to know that once in awhile it isn't just my imagination. The wonders of the internet have proven that we do always have a headwind (well, almost always).

We have several variations of loops from our house that are essentially a big rectangle: south, west, north and east (it being flat farm country here). Today, post-ride, I was looking up weather reports and decided to check the nearest towns on our loop in the order we rode by them. You guessed it. Today's loop was such that we turned into the prevailing wind constantly. SW, NW, NE, etc. And based on the Beaufort Scale, the winds built from 10 to over 16+ mph.

This also explains why MP had headwinds on the last southerly stretch of the Davis Double on the same day I was hammering into a north wind, and we weren't more than 20-25 miles apart as the crow flies.

So, yes, you can have a headwind from every direction and not be telling tall tales.

Zen
05-28-2007, 03:35 PM
I often think the same thing about headwinds.
Finally, one thing that I'm not imagining.

And good job on that exhaustive scientific research

SadieKate
05-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Did you do the research for your own ride loop? It really kind of surprised me that it wasn't just me being cranky (for once).

Zen
05-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Not yet but you've definitely got me thinking now...

Eden
05-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I haven't done any research on it, but I have an out and back ride that a constant headwind often happens on.... how does that happen you say. Well the wind direction generally changes around mid day so if you go out and ride at the right time you'll get a headwind out, stop have some lunch and get a headwind home... I suppose if I changed to a route that went the other direction I could have a constant tailwind??? Never seems to work that way.

SadieKate
05-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah, looking up weather reports on the internet can be exhausting. Wonder what Bubba was referring to earlier when he said there was "something" in the freezer I would like. Probably need to go find something to help me recover. :rolleyes:

SadieKate
05-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Eden, out and backs on the same course, especially in any type of valley, always do that. It's the adabatic winds (I think that's the right term). As the air heats up and the pressure changes, the winds will come up a valley when they were going down the valley in the morning. The Napa Valley is notorious for this. So many of the century rides in that area end by going south and downhill down the Valley but it's brutal because of the headwind. Same on Mt. Hamilton. You shouldn't have to work that hard on a descent.

Zen
05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Hmmm. My favorite out and back is in a valley...

xeney
05-28-2007, 04:09 PM
I suppose if I changed to a route that went the other direction I could have a constant tailwind??? Never seems to work that way.

Nah, when that happens, you never think to be grateful for the constant tailwind. You just think, man, I'm fast.

Flybye
05-28-2007, 04:38 PM
I purposely rode with a tail wind on my 40 miler on Mother's Day Sunday. I had my husband and kids pick me up at destinations end, my mom's house. I took a shower, stretched, and visited and then we all went out for mother's day dinner. One of those GREAT ride days.

You are right, man, are we fast on those days - and in GREAT shape too;)

I can't imagine having a head wind every direction. Bawling. Crying. Throwing a fit.

lauraelmore1033
05-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Nah, when that happens, you never think to be grateful for the constant tailwind. You just think, man, I'm fast.

I've done that; Suddenly, I'll have picked up 3-5 extra mph on a course I regularly do and I'll think, "Gee, I'm getting good at this!", and then when I turn around to come back the wind smacks me in the face and I realize I'm not actually getting good at it...

maillotpois
05-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks so much for proving we're not crazy!!! :D

SadieKate
05-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Oh no. I only proved that I'm not crazy. The jury is still out on the rest of you.

smilingcat
05-29-2007, 11:28 AM
I've more or less given up on catching the ever elusive tail wind. I don't think there are such things.

Shawn