PDA

View Full Version : Denali National Park ride

sarahlou
05-28-2007, 01:23 AM
I have a great job that has me spending lots of time at Denali National Park. Yesterday I went for a mtn. bike ride with a co-worker into the park along the road (there is only one dirt road in). We were coming down a big hill and I was in front, concentrating on going fast and keeping the bike upright, when my friend yelled out, "WOLF!!!" I looked up and a huge white wolf passed just in front of me and darted across the road! We slowed down and watched the wolf as it watched us back- there were a few minutes of gazing between us before the wolf trotted off. Wow, it was absolutely fantastic! Other highlights included seeing several mama moose with brand new (under a week old) babies- aawww. I can't wait to ride in again!

margo49
05-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks for sharing this with us.
TE is such a good a source of stories of Unmediated Nature Encounters.
Such a priviledge for you to see and for us to hear about.

KnottedYet
05-28-2007, 06:48 AM
I got rushed by a 4 or 5 year old male grizzly in Denali. Seeing that critter running at me was a whole new world of experience.

Ditched the bear can, and walked slowly and steadily back to the road to catch the next bus. Not too interested in going backpacking at that point.

Bear wandered off, so we retrieved the bear can. Bus came along, and all these tourists were hanging out the windows taking pictures. Hey, I'm cute, but really!

Bear had snuck up behind us.

We high-tailed it into the bus. Bear walked around the bus a few times.

My 15 minutes of fame. I'd rather not repeat it.