PDA

View Full Version : New bike?

jplum4
08-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Hello... I have been riding a hybrid bike for the past 5 years - paid about $300. for it. Today I fell in love with a Serotta Road bike - about $2499. My husband about had a coronary!

My question - is there THAT much difference in a really expensive bike? Currently I can go about 22 miles but would love to try longer rides. Is it better to get a more moderately priced one and eventually step up or just bite the bullet and get your dream bike and hope it was the right decision...

I'm rambling, sorry, but would love to have some opinions. Thanks

bounceswoosh
08-18-2004, 08:00 PM
I'll quote what people have told me: "I've never heard of someone saying they wish they'd bought *less* bike than they did."

People often regret spending too little; you never hear people say they spent too much. Of course, you tend to talk to cyclists ... so maybe that's a tautology ...

That being said, I'm a mountain biker, so I can't give you any specific pointers as to what money will buy you in road bikes. (Probably lighter weight, better durability, and smoother shifting, same as in mountain bikes.)

That being said, are you in love with it because it's pretty or because you've actually test-ridden it and know that it will fit you? You're better off with a hybrid that fits you than with a road bike that gives you pain.

And just to mess with your head -- $2500 is enough money that the bike ought to be awfully nice -- you should be comfortable and get some awfully nice componentry -- but it's not even close to the top end of what you can spend.

smurfalicious
08-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, no kidding! $2500 would put me into my lustworthy Gary Fisher Sugar Race with full XT components, Fox Float rear and Sid Team front shock with disc brakes! I've heard that bikes only downfall is it doesn't like being behind other bikes. :D

I'm getting a road bike in October because I'm waiting for the LBS to sell their rentals for the year. I figure $600 for a Bianchi ain't bad, and of all the rental bikes, they're probably the least abused.

Have you considered that at all? I know, it's your primary bike so you're probably not as jazzed about used. It would be like asking me to buy my beloved Big Sur from the rental fleet. Wait, she was too cool to run with the rental fleet. :D Dunno mang, road bikes serve one purpose for be, building endurance. Don't need to know about them, just need one to spin my legs.

love and cookies
-smurf

ACG
08-19-2004, 07:43 AM
If I had $2500 and HAD to spend it on a bike, I could, easy. I could pick out about 10 different ones. Alas, I don't. I have kids, tuition, house payment, need a new washer, new tires (for my car), etc.

My hubby has a coronary when I even talk about my dream bike. I spent around $650 on a 2005 WSD Trekand still feel a little guilty. Actually this is the first time I've bought something that is exclusively for me. So I know I shouldn't feel guilty.

There is a difference in the bikes, you don't have to go broke though. Good Luck

Adventure Girl
08-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by bounceswoosh
People often regret spending too little; you never hear people say they spent too much.When I bought my first mountain bike I was a complete newbie. I had never been off-road before. I bought a good "entry-level" bike. I rode it about a year and a half and upgraded it to death, then finally bought a bike with all the stuff I needed/wanted on it.
***side note: Have you noticed how the words "need" and "want" seem to be interchangeable? They really do have different meanings!!!:D ***

So when I bought my road bike, I didn't want to go through steps 1 and 2. I just went to the bike that had everything (and more) that I wanted. It is a WAY better bike than my skills require, but I won't have buyers' remorse and have to say, "I wish I had bought a..."

My suggestion is that you buy the best bike you can afford and still be able to pay the phone bill

jplum4
08-23-2004, 04:49 PM
My husband and I went to the shop over the weekend to look at the bike that I mentioned above. Left the shop with 2 bikes (much less expensive each than the original one), clips, clothes, the works!

Rode twice over the weekend - 15 and 22 miles - and am I SORE! Particularly my neck and shoulders. I'm hoping that it's a new muscle group and not a poorly fitting bike. They did spend a long time fitting us at the bike shop, so hopefully the bike's fine. Going out tomorrow to try 25 miles...

Maine-iac
08-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Have you ridden the Serotta yet?

jplum4
08-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Didn't get the Serotta. We opted for two bikes (one each for my husband and I). Probably a better purchase in the long run, but the total was about the price of the Serotta. We ended up with two LeMond bikes.

Trek420
08-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Adventure Girl suggested "My suggestion is that you buy the best bike you can afford and still be able to pay the phone bill"

there seem to be two philosophies-get the best frame you can afford and upgrade as you go or....

go for the lust bike.

I managed through some "how do you do this and stay in bussiness?" deals from my LBS to just keep my current bike squeeking in at over 4 grand including CA's 8% sales tax

Am I broke? Yes!! This was a strike year, I walked a picket line for 4 days, newly minted single person, just moved, just bought a condo etc.

I don't have a couch, haven't finished the kitchen cabinets, I only have a 13' tv ;-) I-don't-care, I love this bike. I can't imagine a single upgrade to it....yet.

Do I regret it? No. Not one bit. A good bike makes you a better rider, I ride more often and when I do it's further, faster, harder and more pleasure than another bike. From practice rides to the hardest days of the AIDS ride there are things I could not have done on any other bike.

This does not make less expensive bikes any less of a bike or those who ride them less of a cyclist.

I've been dusted, on my new ride, by sports touring bikes, recumbants, hand cyclists even!!!!

I'm a huge fan of upgrading. My old bike (and namesake here) was a bottom of the barrel TREK. Over time, when stuff wore out I upgraded the h*ck out of it. As I repaced parts I'd look on Treks website "If I had to replace the bike what would I have to get to have equivelant parts?" Before a thief got her, I'd have to get the 5400 to get even close. Original cost $400 I'd love to still have her and when you take a bike and gradualy improve it, you basicly have a custom bike.

Whichever way you go the most expensive bike is the one that sits in your garage because it doesn't fit, suit, meet your needs. :rolleyes:

Trek420
08-23-2004, 06:55 PM
a Trek420 typo "I only have a 13' tv ;-)"

that's 13 inch, not 13 foot :p

Adventure Girl
08-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Trek420
that's 13 inch, not 13 foot :pI kind of figured it wasn't a 13 foot television! I got a good visual out of it anyway. An empty room with a giant television and a Mondonico! How cool would that be!:cool:

People sometimes ask how much I paid for my bikes (Rude people :mad: ). I usually give them a vague answer like, "It was expensive, but worth it because I get so much out of it". If you spend $500 on a bike and it sits in your garage, you spent too much. But if you spend $5,000 and you ride, ride, ride, it's worth it!

mandigreene
08-23-2004, 08:06 PM
I just got a new trek, cost me about $600 too, Whew! and then I see frames going for $3000+ on Ebay and I think I got an awesome deal, especially since I sometimes dream about riding when I know I'm going out the next morning :)

mandi

Trek420
08-24-2004, 05:14 AM
Adventure Girl imagined "I kind of figured it wasn't a 13 foot television! I got a good visual out of it anyway. An empty room with a giant television and a Mondonico! How cool would that be!:cool:"

That's fodder for another thread...do you keep your bike in the garage or indoors with the family? Bikes as interior design...

I think the bike rack I have is called the DaVinchi, kinda sculptural, not bad looking so yes, she's right off the kitchen. But to put it anywhere else I'd be lugging it up and down a narrow flight of stairs... :rolleyes:

Maine-iac
08-24-2004, 05:19 AM
People sometimes ask how much I paid for my bikes

My answer to that question tends to be "every cent I thought it was worth to me.
Why do people ask these types of questions? I don't go around asking people how much their golf clubs or boat cost them. Just not relevant to me.

bounceswoosh
08-24-2004, 06:10 AM
Maybe they're asking because they're curious about the sport and want to know what a nice bike would set them back?

Maine-iac
08-24-2004, 06:22 AM
Could be.

Adventure Girl
08-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by bounceswoosh
Maybe they're asking because they're curious about the sport and want to know what a nice bike would set them back I'll accept that, but I still think it is rude to ask anyone how much they paid for anything. A few times, people have asked how much my bikes cost. I have nicely given them the vague answer of "It was expensive, but worth it" and people have asked, "So how much??" I think that's the ultimate rude! (This has happened a couple of times).

I think the person who asks ONCE is rude, but perhaps they are just curious about the sport. If I want to share how many of my hard-earned dollars I plunked down is my choice. Although I have wanted to, I have never said, "You know, I don't want to tell you." But the person who asks again after my polite vague answer is crossing the line.:rolleyes:

MomOnBike
08-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Nobody has every asked me how much Walter cost, but I'm anticipating the question with William (the recumbent). After all, most folk don't have much context for 'bents.

For those who truely are interested and are thinking about getting one, I hope I will be able to be both truthful and encouraging - which is hard to do with a 4 digit bike. And then there are all the lovely add-ons I want...

For rude people who just want to cause trouble - I think the thing to do is say something like "Oh, it cost about as much as XX tanks of gas." Or xx months of cable, or a (really) nice new TV, or an angioplasty - depending on the questioner.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I want my husband to know how much I'm planning on putting into William. :rolleyes:

fasteryet
08-24-2004, 12:01 PM
I was on a turtle ride on Sunday with my husband and a good friend, and were talking about bikes. She wants to upgrade from her old Trek. I said how I loved both of mine ('03 CDale R800 Fem. and '02 CDale hybrid), but maybe in another year or two will get one custom made for me. Husband laughed, said spending thousands on a bike was silly, until I asked him how much per year he spends on curling. He figures that between the club dues, the traveling( hotel and meals) for away weekend tournaments, plus all the beer, that it's easily several thousand a year. Case closed :D

bentforlife
08-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Since I have a recumbent I do get a lot of " How much did that cost you?'" questions. I usually say somthing like "Enough to keep my husband nervous." Then I try to find out if they are interested or just rude.

MomOnBike-- What kind of recumbent did you get? I have a 2002 RANS Stratus XL (yes I have long legs). I've gotten a bag, changed out the riser and handlebars, and a few other goodies for it. Every time I get something for my bike and my husband groans, I just say "And how much did the so-and-so cost for your sailboat?" He usually out spends me on that! Musical instruments are another story!! I just mumble something about biyearly maintenance and go on.

Donna:D

KkAllez
08-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Ben just bought a Specialized Roubaix Pro, carbon frame....sweet! It cost slightly less than what one year at nursing school is costing me. My Specialized Allez Sport was around $700...I think. It has been a year since I bought it and by the time I bought helmet, jersey, shorts, shoes, bike cages, water bottles, and Eggbeaters who know what the bike actually cost!

In any case, I tell people who are interested in biking and want to know how much to spend this, "Don't get a Walmart bike or you will quit in a week! Go ahead and fork over somewhere between $500 and $1000 and get something nice." It is all the difference in the world. My personal theory is that the more comfortable, speedier, and easier to ride (ie, smoother shifting, lighter weight) the more apt you will to be stick with the sport.

Now waaaaay back in my horse riding days and I was asked the cost of of horse upkeep here was my answer, "Every morning when you wake up flush a hundred dollar bill down the toilet. And when you can do that without flinching plus six months you are ready for a horse!" :eek:

Back to the bike question, I am truly embarrassed to tell anyone the cost of the Roubaix. YIKES! Also.....I WANT ONE TOO!!!!!! That will be my present to myself when I pass the NCLEX for RN's.

fasteryet
08-25-2004, 03:59 PM
"Now waaaaay back in my horse riding days and I was asked the cost of of horse upkeep here was my answer, "Every morning when you wake up flush a hundred dollar bill down the toilet. And when you can do that without flinching plus six months you are ready for a horse!"

I used to train racehorses, and we used say when people asked how much it would cost/would they make any money, "Just imagine throwing all your money out the window. If you get really lucky, a little bit might blow back in."

MomOnBike
08-25-2004, 06:14 PM
bentforlife -

I got a barely used Sun EX Sport AX. It was love at first pedal. Four months of layaway later it is MINE! :D

I probably could have been talked into a Stratus, but there weren't any in town for a test ride. We were planning on driving out to the RANS factory in Hays, KS, just to check out the lineup there, but then I found William. The rest is history.

And oh, am I planning on adding to it. It is coming with a smoke faring, a seat bag and some other goodies, but of course, I need a long list of other essentials. (Yes, dear, I really do need this new doohickey. Um, it'll help keep me safe! That's the reason! Safety! Really!)

And I hear you about musical instruments. I did an inventory of quality instruments we own once and almost fell over. To be fair, though, most of them have paid for themselves by now.

(And don't even get me started on the cost of horses. Been there, done that, wore out the t-shirt.)

Maine-iac
08-26-2004, 05:22 AM
I hear ya on the horse thing. Don't have to feed a bike. And instruments??? Just sold mine for tuition....the pain has not set in yet.:(

KkAllez
08-26-2004, 08:24 AM
Yeah, and my bike didn't get a hay belly from lack of riding last year! Wished I could have said the same for myself.

:D

CorsairMac
09-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Just bought my first Trek - Navigator 2400 and LOVE it!.......I applied to store credit coz doggone it - THIS time I was gonna buy a good bike that fit me and "called my name"! I've had it about 6 wks and now wish I had another one! Why?.....coz I would also love to have a hybrid - ride to work AND go fast! but my Navigator and I have miles to go before we sleep. How much would I pay?.....How much would I pay for something that I'm going to put my body on and abuse the heck outta it while loving every minute? I would pay whatever it took! (and that would still leave me enough to at least pay for utilities!) Pay what you can afford - but don't skimp - not on this! Its too important an investment.