PDA

View Full Version : First Group Ride

Waverly
08-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi all! I have been reading the board for the last several days and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Jessica I am 23 and I have been riding for about 2 weeks. I first started riding on vacation in Key West. We rode about 10mmiles a day but it was very flat. At home I have been riding anywhere from 2 – 10 miles around my neighborhood. It is really hilly here though. I have a Trek 7200 xs I believe but don’t quote me on that. I have a helmet and gloves and have been debating purchasing shorts and things. Do any of you have suggestions on riding clothes? Do you think I should wait on the group ride? Maybe I am not going far enough yet?

Thanks,
Jessica

Mocha Mom
08-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Hello!! Congrats on taking up riding! I myself am more of a tandem rider at this point but, hope in the near future to be buying a solo bike. :)

I would definately get some biking shorts! I love mine, make the ride much more comfortable for the longer distances. I don't have a brand I love but, I would say shop around and try them on to see what fit you like... Ask around and see what shorts people like is always good too.

happy riding!

Lisa

Deanna
08-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Hello,

I recommend not only a pair of bike shorts with a chamois (not just 'bike style' shorts) but also a jersey/top that is as BRIGHTLY colored as you can stand so you are as visible as possible.

As for group rides, see if your local cycling groups have a ride list posted on the internet or somewhere. The cycling club I belong to lists their rides for the month and gives the length and categories for speed and terrain. A route is also given so if you are familiar with the roads you can decide if you are up to the challenge.

Waverly
08-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I actually had my first ride with "the group" yesterday. It was great the hills just about killed me but I enjoyed the challenge. It is very hilly around here so I am gonna have to get used to that. I have seen several different types of shorts and ended up buying a pair from REI that are bike shorts underneath loose short (I felt a little silly in the spandex). There ok but I think I am gonna have to go with regular bike shorts and maybe just some loose shorts over them till I hopefully thin out some.

Lovin the spandex
Jessica
:D

Deanna
08-19-2004, 01:31 PM
You could also try the bike skorts (I love the ones I got by Terry). They hide a lot but don't have as much bulk getting in the way as baggy shorts.

Hills are my challenge to, you can only ride more to get better at them.