PDA

View Full Version : Slack, Caution, or Courtesy?

bouncybouncy
05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
After reading Veronica's close call with a boy I decided to post a question...

On my commute this morning (a special one because hubby was able to join me :p ) I came to a 4-way intersection (2-way stop...I had the right of way) coming in the oppisite direction are 2 tractors (not really in the country but for some reason this did not strike me as odd) and a single car approaching a stop to my left (because of the angle of the streets it was unclear of the cars intentional direction after he made his mandatory stop)

I began to slow a bit because the driver of the car was NOT looking at me but in the opposite direction towards the tractor...

One tractor made a u-turn in front of me (with plenty of room) while the other turned left behind hubby & I (friendly waves were exchanged by the tractor operator and I)

My hubby asked why I was slowing. I responded "because the driver of the car had not made eye contact with me, let alone look in my direction" Hubby simply said "OK" and pedaled on...

now the questions:
Was I right to slow down in order to make sure I was seen? Is it OK to be courteous to drivers (expecially during rush hour) in order to be seen as a friendly cyclist? Do I have to hog the lane if it is safe to ride the shoulder?

btw: I am always waving at folks who wait for me to pass or acknowledge my presence on the road! In fact, today, a fellow cyclist (i could tell by his rack...hehe! and cycling stickers on his car) looked at me with such envy cause I was riding instead of driving!!! (he was in a shirt & tie and obviously wanting to be in lycra!!! I hope he gets out there...it is a beautiful day to be a cyclist!!!)

Jolt
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
You can't go wrong by being cautious and courteous. As for "hogging the lane" when you can safely ride on the shoulder, I'd ride on the shoulder in that situation--for me, it's a matter of showing some consideration for faster road users by not blocking them unnecessarily.

Veronica
05-23-2007, 02:02 PM
What Jolt said. :)

V.

mimitabby
05-23-2007, 02:03 PM
I wave at almost everyone. Even people that honk at me to be rude; I wave like they honked to say HI!
I slow down and worry when I'm not sure i have eye contact with drivers, and i slow down at intersections too. I drive my car defensively too.

plantluvver
05-23-2007, 04:54 PM
I am a very timid rider. But I would consider eye contact with a driver a necessity, if I thought he and I might be in the same place at the same time. I don't CARE who I right, I KNOW who will walk away.

As far as taking the lane, I try to makemy decisions based on where I think I am the most visible, and also my expectations of car behavior. I usually take the lane when I feel that it is dangerous for a car to pass me, as in a particular no passing zone on a bridge, where they pass me anyway. Mostly, I want them to make a concious decision to pass me, and move into the lane of oncoming traffic. That way, at least I have slowed them down, and if they do need to swerve back into the lane, at least I have somewhere to go.

I feel that I am communicating to them that I need the lane. Of course THEY all think that I am just being purposely obnoxious, and choosing to obstruct them, just when the lane narrows and goes over a bridge. (Even though there is a warning sign for bicycles.):rolleyes: (Hence my signature line.:mad: )

But there are so many variables...

(I now realize that I did not read Veronica's post.)
Mary

Geonz
05-23-2007, 07:00 PM
What is the benefit of not using a good shoulder? There *is* a visibility issue.

Now, if you are going to have to merge back in and there's traffic... the benefit is not having to merge back in with drivers who think you shouldn't be there.

I ride in the lane for visibility and keep an eye on the shoulder and in my mirror... and if it makes sense, I get on the shoulder to let a car pass. Yesterday I did that for a big honkin' pickup ... literally, he tooted twice as he went by - but then was giving me a big wave (with all the fingers). I don't think his horn *could* have done a "light toot" but was trying to.

If I"m going to lose the shoulder, or if I"m not sure it's clear, I'm in the lane.

Often, here, there's *one* car coming up behind me with a big gap behind it. If I duck right, the car goes by and thinks nice things. However, I think it's important that I'm seen in my lane and pulling over. When you're on the shoulder, you're invisible. I also ride assertively - assuming a posture that's strong, not "oh, I'm not sure I should be here..."

Mel_bikes
05-24-2007, 01:26 PM
what is this shoulder you talk about. I live in NH we have a white fog line denoting the edge of the pavement (sometimes). I am always in the lane, no choice. If I am too close to the edge, cars won't give me any room. The roads are all narrow and twisty. Friendly drivers make them very enjoyable.

I always slow down in that kind of situation. Better safe then sorry.

Geonz
05-25-2007, 06:56 AM
I saw these pictures from our RIde of Silence and thought, "good grief! There's no excuse for not commuting on these streets!" (Granted, this is between school sessions.) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/venusasaboy55/IMG_3581.jpg