PDA

View Full Version : nutrition

stacy
08-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi all! My hubby and I have registered for a 200km bike trek for the lung association in BC Sept 11. We had not ridden prior to May this year but have done very well and cycle short rides several mornings or evenings during the week with longer 5+ hr rides sat. and sunday. My question is when doing a large ride such as the 200km what do you recommend to eat the nite before and the day of to keep your energy up?
Any tips would be helpful.

thanks!
Stacy

tmetzger1226
08-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi Stacy!

Congrats on such an undertaking! It will be quite an accomplishment for you.

Think about the weeks before, not just the day. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.... get your body used to an increased intake of fluids in the week prior to your ride, if not sooner. Eat healthy meals of whole foods that are rich in carbohydrates.

During the ride you will need more than water in your bottles. I use Accelerade, and carry extra in a baggie in my pocket. Some people don't like the taste of Accelerade, and powerbar has a great new endurance drink that is more paletable. I also carry a few powerbars and gels. I'm sure since this is a supported ride, they will have stops w/snacks like bagels, potatos, bananas, etc. Eat before you are hungry, drink before you are thirsty. Don't try anything new on the day of your ride... if your tummy doesn't like it, you'll be sorry.

I hope some of this helps you. Have a great ride!!

Tammy

Veronica
08-16-2004, 12:03 PM
On my long rides I don't eat anything special the night before, but I do make sure to keep eating as I ride. Everyone's body is a little bit different, so whatever you do, don't try something new the day of the ride. I drink Gatorade and eat trail mix or Power bar Bites as I ride. I like to throw in a Red Bull every 25 miles or so and a Snickers or a Pay Day. This strategy has gotten me through several centuries, a 200 K and a near 200 K (116 miles, w/11,000 feet of climb.)

I've noticed the Double Century riders (200 miles in one day!) on the ride I volunteer at drink a lot of Sustained Energy. I've tried it. It doesn't have much taste to it. But I haven't ridden much on it. Double Century Riders don't seem to eat much of the real food we provide but go for things we call PPP (pills, potions and powders.) Pills are Enduralights. They give you electrolytes. I've used them on rides where it's really hot. I can't tell you if they have actually done anything for me. But they haven't caused problems either. Potions are Hammer Gel. I've tried that - don't care for the taste. Powder is Sustained Energy. But this what the folks who finish a 200 miler seem to be using.

Me, I still prefer my real food.

Veronica

stacy
08-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, its a two day ride and fully supported so I assume (hope) that the meals and snacks provided will be suited to our needs.
stacy