PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Cure

HillSlugger
05-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi,

On Sunday June 10 I will be riding the Tour de Cure in Stillwater, NY. Last year, this was my first ever "event" ride and I did the 25 miler. At that time it was the longest ride of my life. This year I will be riding the 50 miler, my first 1/2 century.

Diabetes affects many millions nationwide, but for many of us with affected family members the effects are felt right at home. In my case both of my parents were diabetic, putting me at high risk for developing the disease. As it is, my blood sugar level is borderline high and I am considered "prediabetic". To reduce my risk of developing full diabetes I try to stay in shape and keep my weight down. This is what brought me to cycling. Cycling to support the ADA seems a logical marriage.

So far I am way short of my fund raising goal. Would you please help me towards my goal?

Thanks, Nicole

Zen
05-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Let's get behind Slug and push her over the top...I know there are so many of us doing charity rides you may think you can't afford it but LOTS OF LITTLE NUMBERS ADD UP TO BIG ONES!

onimity
05-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi Nicole,

It's really great that you are riding the tour de cure. My sister (who has type 1 diabetes) and I are riding in August. It will be our first century! We're both a little nervous about it but she is really excited to reach that milestone riding for an organization that makes a difference in her life every day. Best, she has been able to reduce her insulin requirements thanks to all of the riding that we are doing to train.

Anyhow, congratulations on doing a wonderful thing for your health and the health of others, both in the long and short term. I hope that others continue to be generous in contributing. Wish that I'd been able to be more generous myself...just made a large contribution on our team's behalf. :o

I appreciate your spirit and enthusiasm for this event. It makes a huge difference in the lives of many people.

Anne

HillSlugger
05-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi Nicole,

It's really great that you are riding the tour de cure. My sister (who has type 1 diabetes) and I are riding in August. It will be our first century! We're both a little nervous about it but she is really excited to reach that milestone riding for an organization that makes a difference in her life every day. Best, she has been able to reduce her insulin requirements thanks to all of the riding that we are doing to train.

Anyhow, congratulations on doing a wonderful thing for your health and the health of others, both in the long and short term. I hope that others continue to be generous in contributing. Wish that I'd been able to be more generous myself...just made a large contribution on our team's behalf. :o

I appreciate your spirit and enthusiasm for this event. It makes a huge difference in the lives of many people.

Anne

I must say "awesome" to you and your sister. It's great to hear from people who benefit from the ADA, to be able to know who I am riding for.

Thank you so much for contributing to my ride, above and beyond what you are already doing for your own ride.

Where are you riding?

onimity
05-31-2007, 07:46 AM
We are riding in Longmont, CO on August 25. It should be a great ride, we go up to Estes Park CO (lots of climbing, but gorgeous scenery!)

We're getting our team page set up now but I'll post it when we're done.

Anne

short cut sally
06-02-2007, 04:41 AM
MDHillSlug, I too am doing the Tour de Cure on June 10th...but from Mendons Park in NY. This will be my first time doing this event and am hitting up everyone I know to meet the ride requirements for the donation. I too have found some people just stare instead of donating. I tell them I am riding 100 miles (on a bicycle) and continue on with the rest of the speel and the response for the most part has been "really?", almost out of disbelief. They say okay, turn and walk away never to be seen again. I figured worst case scenerio is I take from my savings to meet my goal.

Zen
06-02-2007, 06:10 AM
You have to be persistent and often ask the same people three or four times (and sometimes more). Using the fund raising letter provided by Habitat for Humanity as a template, I wrote my own letter.I did some research on fundraising techniques and found that people respond better when you include a personal story, as Nicole did.

I received a large donation from my gym and will receive one next year from my bank as I missed their fiscal year deadline this year. Banks are required by law to make a certain amount of charitable donations. You may feel that you're being a bother but sometimes you have to be.

HillSlugger
06-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Shelly, what is your "minimum" required fund raising amount? How far off are you? Up in Stillwell I don't think they turn anyone away.

I think that fundraising can continue through the end of June. Some of those same people may be more open to supporting you when you can come back and say "I rode 100 miles for ADA"

short cut sally
06-05-2007, 04:49 AM
MDHillSlug, the minimum requirement is 150.00 which is required when you show up for the event. The brochure states you pay the registration fee of 40.00 and the ride minimum must be met on the day of the event. If you excede the minimum, for every 25.00 over your name goes in a special drawing bucket for door prizes. I had 2 co-workers that gave me a large amount which totally blew me away so i've met my requirements to do the event on Sunday. I plan on using the inhouse emails at work to give everyone that donated an update on my ride when I return back to work so they know their donations were greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to doing this ride. The route looks fairly easy (meaning minimal hills and not mts. to climb), i've rode bits and pieces of the 100 miles at varoius points with friends from that area. There are like 10 rest stops along the way with a "meal" at mile 50 and at the end of the ride. The extended forcast calls for temps in the low 70's, and cloudy so far, for me that is a plus. Good luck on your ride and hope you have fun. Let us know how it goes and Ill also post when it's over.

short cut sally
06-13-2007, 07:06 PM
As promised, I am posting to find out how MDHillSlug did and to let you know that I completed the century. the day was beautiful, not too windy, sunny, and about 85 degrees. The terrain was as anticipated, rolling hills t/o the ride and rest stops every 10 miles. The screw to my crank came loose right out of the starting gate, so the sweeper vehicle helped me out, and got me back together. The lady that I rode with got a flat yards away from one of the rest stops and was graciously helped by staff and fellow riders. I plan on doing this again next year as this was such a great time and really nice scenery.

HillSlugger
06-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks for wondering about me. I posted a report on the General Discussion June 10 rides. I wanted to go through our pictures to post some here. Anyway, here's what I posted on Sunday. Expect pictures to come.

Today I did my first 50 miler, for the benefit of the American Diabetes Association. Nice weather, good roads, a good route, a good cause, and a well fitting bike...what more could you ask for?

I had a great time chatting with people along the way, just feeling good. Around 35 miles things started to ache and by 40 miles my shoulders were hurting, my thighs were burning, and my girly bits were quite unhappy. You gals who do the distance riding, I don't know how you do it, but more power to you! I pushed through and finished the route: 52 miles in 3' 25" for a 15.2 mph average (total time, 4' 15")

If I'm going to ride another 50 miler and a metric later this year I may need to find some different shorts.

I'm not sure what happened to my teammates; couldn't find them at the start so I took off without them. I know that one dropped out at 25 miles; it was actually her first time on a bike this year so that was pretty good.

My DP was a volunteer photographer so I'll have pictures to post later.

Last year I was the 18th highest fundraiser and rode wearing a special numbered bib. I saw #2 on the route but didn't get the chance to ask him how much he missed #1 by.

I can still collect $$ through the end of the month. Please consider supporting the ADA.

Edit to add: there were various ADA signs posted along the route. There was one that said "10 miles to the massage tables." I'm thinking "oh yeah, I'm all over that!" I get does with the ride to find that there's like an hour wait for massages. I never got one, and my shoulders can tell.

HillSlugger
06-18-2007, 05:31 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~nicole.thomas14/Tour_0556lr.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~nicole.thomas14/Tour_0967lr.jpg

Looking good before the pain set in :eek: ;)

Zen
06-19-2007, 04:21 AM
There are never enough massage tables :(

If you do this locally next year I'll go witcha.