PDA

View Full Version : Running Hubby is on the injured reserve...

Running Mommy
05-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Last week Tony was complaining that his leg was stiff and hurt. I asked him where and he showed me a few different spots. It's the same leg that he badly (and I mean BADLY) sprained his ankle last september. So we figured that it was something to do with that, and that he might need to stretch more. We kind of chalked it up to the increased run and bike miles. Well yesterday he called me from nor cal and said he thinks he got a spider bite. He has a spot that is red and swollen and has two bite marks or red spots. Almost like fangs. I looked it up and it looks like a black widow bite. I told him to go the urgent care out there if it kept bothering him. Well he just called me and told me that he's staying home tomorrow to go to the doctor. So it must be bad. He never goes to the doctor.
I guess I'll just have to wait until he gets home to take a look at it. I'm a bit worried because he can lose half a limb and not complain. He has a high pain tolerance and never likes to admit that anything is wrong.
Has anyone ever had a bad spider or insect bite that did this? And if so was there anything the doctor could do? he said his leg is super stiff now.

Zen
05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Did he go to the doc?

What happened? How is he?

teigyr
05-21-2007, 11:57 AM
I would like to know also. I didn't respond earlier because I couldn't offer anything constructive but I hope he went and that everything's ok. It sounds so scary and it must be so hard with him being out of town.

crazycanuck
05-22-2007, 02:56 AM
Hey Rm..did your dear go to the Dr? How is he? I wasn't able to respond right away as i was lurking at work.

I googled black widow spiders & found the following info for anyone interested(no idea how reputable either of these are);

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002858.htm
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-Fact/2000/2061A.html

I dunno about you but if i were bitten by any spider(white tail or redback) here in Australia, i'd venture to the hospital. Actually if any native Australian creature :eek: decided to take a bite out of me, i'd be there in no time..

c

Bikingmomof3
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
What did the doctor say??

Running Mommy
05-23-2007, 06:54 AM
I have been so busy with work and putting the house on the market.. sigh.. It's been nuts.
Ok, so our normal doctor was out so they sent him to urgent care. The urgent care doctor said "ehhh. Yeah, you were bit by something. But you'll be fine. It's not THAT red or swollen. It's not infected, and the stiff calf muscle is probably tendonitis"....:cool: I don't buy that. Why would the muscle in his calf seize up and get hard right when a big bite appears??!!:confused:
But he seems to be doing ok. Though the leg is still stiff. He's certainly not getting worse. If it was I would have him at another doctor.
My guess is that he had a bit of a reaction to the bite, just not a bad reaction.
Of course Tony was mad that he wasted his time. I'm always harping on him to go to the doctor. So he said "see. Everytime I go to the doctor nothing is wrong with me! Thats why I don't go".... sigh...

So that's it. He's taking it easy this week though because the calf is just too stiff.
So there you have it. Still on the injured reserve, but not likely to lose a limb. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the concern girls! Now I must go get a run in.
Denise