PDA

View Full Version : My new bike

Tuckervill
05-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I happened to be driving past my favorite bike shop on the way to see my son at work. This bike was sitting outside amongst the used ones. I didn't have any intention of buying a new bike this year, but it really fit me, after they changed out the stem for a shorter one. I test rode it and while I was out I called hubby and told him he better call me back soon if he wanted to keep me from spending $500. He didn't call me back in time. :D

Still making adjustments on the saddle and getting used to the more stretched out position, plus braking in the different hand position.

I've been riding my mountain bike on the road. My new bike is faaaaast. :) Yay!

*Oh, it's a 2006 Trek 1000.

Karen

7rider
05-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Excellent!
Congrats on the new slick ride.
Looks like you'll have to update your avatar! :p

dingster1
05-19-2007, 06:33 PM
YAY!!!! Great find!! Have fun riding it

Aggie_Ama
05-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Ohhhh She's a pretty one- LOVE the color! Have fun blazing down the road. :D

KnottedYet
05-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Very nice! Congratulations!

(did the bike call out to you? Bike love... "come here, I'm meant for YOU!")

mimitabby
05-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Wow! talk about BIKE LUV!

Happy new bike to you. Sometimes life is better if you are spontaneous.

RolliePollie
05-19-2007, 07:53 PM
I bought the same bike 3 months ago and I love her! Don't you just love the color? I think she's a very pretty bike. And I agree...fast too!

Really the only thing I've had any issue with is the front brakes. I just switched to Kool Stop pads and I'm getting a complete new front brake set-up for free from Trek (there's a thread in Bike Maintenance with details if you're interested).

Enjoy!!!! :D

margo49
05-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Lovely bike
I am so happy for you, Tuckie
Tailwinds and descents all the route!

uforgot
05-19-2007, 09:05 PM
I bet you feel like you are flying now! Congrats! I loved the part where your husband didn't call in time. How much time did you give him? "Honey, I waited and waited an ENTIRE minute!" :D Just a side note: don't you just love those Skechers shoes? I have them in a zillion colors!

cosc
05-20-2007, 03:11 AM
Congratulations on your new ride. She's a beauty.

Tuckervill
05-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Thanks, all. :)

Uforgot, I gave him all the way until I got back to the bike shop. If he can't sit at his desk waiting for me to call all day, it's his fault! lol. I think those Skechers are just perfect for riding my bike, because I don't like walking in them. The heel is too narrow! But I do like the elastic that holds them on. They're not too bulky for the cages, either.

Ow my booty is hurting. I've not been riding my mtn bike much this season. It still has that annoying click in the BB that just drove me nuts, and niggled into my brain every time I thought about riding. So, no butt callouses, yet. ;) But I think I've got my new bike saddle in the right position. And I look so good on it. :)

Karen

Tuckervill
05-20-2007, 04:56 AM
You know, I really hate the expression on my face in that picture, so just so you can picture me "right" here's a better one. lol. (But I wear contacts, now.) That's my grandson when he was 4 months old. He will be 2 on Wednesday. :)

Karen

Tuckervill
05-20-2007, 05:00 AM
I bought the same bike 3 months ago and I love her! Don't you just love the color? I think she's a very pretty bike. And I agree...fast too!

Really the only thing I've had any issue with is the front brakes. I just switched to Kool Stop pads and I'm getting a complete new front brake set-up for free from Trek (there's a thread in Bike Maintenance with details if you're interested).

Enjoy!!!! :D

I love the color, too. My mountain bike is a Trek 4500 and it's blue, too. Lighter, so they compliment each other.

Oh, when I finally did talk to hubby about it, he immediately started counting the bikes in the garage...two project bikes, two mountain bikes, the two hybrids which got us going. He has two and he doesn't even ride that much. lol. But he loves me and lets me do anything I want. :)

I will definitely check out that thread about brakes. I think I've peeked in there and I was thinking how noisy they are just this morning.

Karen

BleeckerSt_Girl
05-20-2007, 05:02 AM
Both bike and rider are radiant! ;) :p

I love that frosted blue color.

ShubieGA
05-20-2007, 05:32 AM
Good for you! :) Enjoy that ride! I was in LBS to buy some a stem spacer for my 7.2FX (aka Ruby), and found myself looking longingly at a 1500 and an Allez...I had to talk myself out of drooling! I have a feeling a road bike will be in my Summer future too!

p.s. nice shade of blue - and your grandbaby is a cutie too!

KSH
05-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Looks like a very nice bike. I rode a Trek 1000, from 2004. It gave me a good 4,000 miles... and is still going with a new owner.

Enjoy your bike!

Starfish
05-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Great new bike...super pretty. And, I like your buying philosophy!

Darby361
05-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Both your babies are beautiful - you grandchild and your bike!

Tuckervill
05-21-2007, 04:39 AM
Thanks, Darby. :)

thread drift:
My grandson is a miracle child...he was born 10 weeks early, after 10 weeks of fighting to stay alive with very little amniotic fluid to float around in. He weighed just two pounds 14 ounces at birth. We were worried about his limbs being deformed and lots of other things that happen to preemies, but none of them did! I am very proud of his mother, who spent those 10 weeks in the hospital with her feet up in the air, trying to keep as much amniotic fluid in as possible, all while her husband (my son) was serving in Iraq. The baby should have been born when her water broke, but somehow he wasn't, and we're all so glad! props to the March of Dimes, the hospital, and everyone else involved, and mostly my DIL, whose sheer willpower is amazing.

http://www.kanalen.org/prom/stories.php?page=story&showid=589 Here's a link to my daughter-in-law's premature rupture of membranes story. She and I found this site at the same time during that first week, and although not much is known about PROM, it was very comforting to read about it during those first few weeks when everything was critical. I like to spread the link because you never know when someone might need that information.

And just because I am one of those annoyingly proud gramma's, here's a more recent picture of the little stinker.

Karen

Jo-n-NY
05-21-2007, 04:54 AM
I didn't see this post until this morning...Congrats on a lovely bike. You look great in both pics. What a wonderful success story about your grandson. He is so adorable. Are those little crocs he is wearing? Too cute!!!!!

~ JoAnn

northstar
05-21-2007, 05:11 AM
Happy new bike! And thanks for sharing the pictures! For what it's worth, I think it's a great picture of you holding your grandchild.

I've heard from so many people who love their Trek 1000's. You will have such a blast!

KnottedYet
05-21-2007, 05:45 AM
What a GREAT picture of him with the dog! So cute!

HappyAnika
05-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Sweet! Congrats on your new bike. I like your strategy of calling the husband and giving him a chance to stop you from buying something. I think I will have to try that one!

I also have a Trek road bike and I absolutely love it. However I will warn you about those Bontrager saddles. They are notoriously uncomfortable. Mine worked for me for about the first 300 or 400 miles, but once I started doing longer rides it simply had to go. Of course everyone is different, so it may work for you. But if you start to feel like you're being squished in the wrong places, there are better saddles out there that will allow you to ride in comfort.

Have fun on your new ride!

Tuckervill
05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
The 1000 had the same saddle as my 4500 mtn bike, so I was already planning on changing it out! I have a couple of Terry saddles that I got for my birthday, and I've put one on the mtn bike, and I love it. I put the other on the 1000 and I didn't like it as much, but that could be about the new riding position. I'm going to swap them and see what works. I can't remember which saddles they are, but I know at least one is a Butterfly.

Yes, the Bontrager saddle is hideous.

Karen

Scarlet
05-22-2007, 11:04 AM
the bike looks great, I too am excited at a new "road" bike having cycled on my hybrid for the last two years. My hubbie bought me a specialized dolce but have been having real bad asthma attack, just getting over it now.
I cant wait to get on my bike ..... hope its as fast as yours (suppose its up to me for the pedal power)
Scarlet x

Hub
05-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Congrats on your new wheels . . .You know pscyclepath says all blue bicycles are inherently faster . . . and your new ride proved it again!

rij73
05-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Just saw this thread. What a great bike love story, and what a super-great story about your grandson. (You don't look like a grandma, BTW). You're also lucky to have a hubbie who lets you do whatever you want! He should talk to mine! :rolleyes:

Enjoy the bike!!!

pooks
05-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Such a happy thread! Everything from a GORGEOUS bike (love that color!) to a wonderful story of a healthy birth.

Is your son home, yet?

Tuckervill
05-22-2007, 12:42 PM
:) :) :) :)

Happily, my son has been home from Iraq since a year ago December. Unhappily, he may get called up again in the next year. :( :(

I AM too young to be a gramma, I'll tell ya that! lol.

Karen