PDA

View Full Version : My second ever time trial.

mukluk
05-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Did my second time trial yesterday. This time I was 3rd of 6 women (last time I was 5th of 6). It was a 12.5 mile race. The fastest woman finished in 30:48 (24.35 mph). Second fastest 32:58 (22.7 mph). Me 33.54 (22.12 mph). The next two ladies were 34:21 (21.83 mph) and 34:41 (21.6 mph) I guess I did OK for a newbie- I was on my new bike to which is a big improvement over my old bike (old bike was 1981 30+ pounder, new bike is 2006 18-19 pounder).
Regardless of results I had fun. Which is great since I was stuck at work until the last minute, arrived late (barely on time to get registered), and had virtually no warm-up. Since there was no water around to fill up my water bottle, I filled it with a can of diet soda that I had in my car. I hope that bike commuting on will help me get faster- my commute is 16 miles each way and I am hoping to do it 3-4 times per week (plus weekend rides). It was a one way race so we got to ride back (which I enjoyed).

Mimosa
05-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Hey you're improving ... just a little gap to close to the first position.

And about the water, I allways fill a jerrycan with some water when I go to races. It allways comes in handy for washing you hands or cleaning up afterwards ... or in your case filling the water bottle

kelownagirl
05-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Good for you Mukluk! How hilly is that ride? We have a 16k TT route (mostly rolling hill with a couple of short but steepish climbs) that I would love to try one day and I can do it in 32:25 on my own. The slowest woman in my area does it in 30:30 minutes though so I'd be way back. The faster women are doing it in 27 minutes. Course none of them are old like me. :rolleyes: One of these days...

SheFly
05-21-2007, 05:04 AM
Great job! Seeing improvement in a TT is fabulous, and you are cranking right along at that speed! Won't be long and you will be finishing faster that the other women!

What is the terrain like for your TT? Yours is a bit longer than the one we do here, which is only 9.75 miles.

SheFly

li10up
05-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Good for you Mukluk! How hilly is that ride? We have a 16k TT route (mostly rolling hill with a couple of short but steepish climbs) that I would love to try one day and I can do it in 32:25 on my own. The slowest woman in my area does it in 30:30 minutes though so I'd be way back. The faster women are doing it in 27 minutes. Course none of them are old like me. :rolleyes: One of these days...

Reminds me of a story a college professor told our class once about an older woman who had always wanted to go to college but said she was too old. The professor asked her how old she would if she started school now and graduated in four years. She answered, 54. He then asked her how old she would be in four years if she didn't go to school and get her degree...

I always thought that was a good story and something I'll never forget. We are always going to be a day older no matter what... Kelownagirl...if you want to give it a try I say GO FOR IT!!

RoadRaven
05-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey there Mukluk
Well done, its awesome to see that improvement... thats the same distance as most of my TTs are too.

Your time is what I am aiming to get to... about 33 mins (35.4 kph average)... and if I can achieve that, well, I guess I aim to crack 36kph...

And considering you had not prep time for your head-space and no warm up time for your legs (both of which I find essential) I am even more impressed.

Well done on a race well ridden
:)

mukluk
06-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the support. The course was fairly flat. I sure think bike racing is fun!!!

Kedwards
06-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Nice work!

I haven't tried a TT yet, unless you count the bike portion of a triathlon. I'm hoping to have a speed like yours at my tri this weekend though.

Running Mommy
06-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I DREAM of flying along at a speed like that! Shoot I get up near 18 mph and I feel like I'm going at warp speed! lol
GREAT JOB!!

RoadRaven
06-07-2007, 11:51 PM
I haven't tried a TT yet, unless you count the bike portion of a triathlon.

I always count the triathalon I participate in every March as a TT.
Its a team tri, and I only do the cycling leg.

Its def not a road race, and everyone essentially rides on their own. So its a TT.

You absolutely can count it as a TT if you want to...