PDA

View Full Version : How did Bike to Work Day go for you?

7rider
05-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Well, another BTW Day in the bag. How did yours go?

I rode in with my friend, Terry. It was his first ride (except for some noodling around his neighborhood) since having knee surgery in late January. He felt it and was hurting by the end of the 7.25 miles. But he was a trooper, and was schmoozing it up with everyone at the Silver Spring pit stop. We ran into a bunch of co-workers there so we all hung out and compared notes on our rides - while shivering in the damp cold and watching the threatening skies for rain.

The Bicycle Place (http://www.thebicycleplace.com/), the LBS owned by my friends, and the Discovery Channel (http://www.discovery.com/) gave away 2 Trek Limes - the nifty "coasting bikes" they have out that are internally geared with "flat foot technology" - so you can sit on the saddle with your feet flat on the ground. They are marketed towards non-riders and are designed to be as simple as possible. Pretty nifty, but alas, I didn't win.

It is not looking good for the ride home. I may get rescued by a certain Knight in a not-so-shiny Escape (my DH) if it gets too snotty. :o

So, tell us about your adventures on Bike-to-Work Day!

meridian
05-18-2007, 05:53 AM
I said I wasn't going to ride if it the weather wasn't cooperating, but I got out and did it anyway.

It was rainy and there was more water on the street than I antisipated, but overall it went pretty well. I rode alone (not a very big cycling community) but it's only about 5-6 miles, and I got out early enough that it wasn't too bad, and a bit enjoyable =)

..Now to hope things let up so I'm not riding in flooded streets on the way back home this evening. :rolleyes:

rebran
05-18-2007, 05:59 AM
This was my first BTW Day. . It started off by taking my daughter to daycare in the trailer (its her 2nd Birthday today:) ) along with enough cupcakes for her class. Then I rode home and switched bikes so I wouldn't have to pull the trailer around the rest of the day and rode to work.

Total miles: 5 (I live in a small community) but I still have a ride to & from the gym at noon and back home tonight. . .

I feel fantastic this morning and I am going to ride to work more often now!

Have a great day!

northstar
05-18-2007, 06:16 AM
It was great.

Today was the first time I actually rode TO work. In the past I've carpooled with a neighbor and then ridden home, since I wasn't confident with a route and I have 17 miles to go. But I got up and left at 5:30 this morning, and it was heavenly. No traffic, just open roads and quiet. Made it to work at 6:40, cleaned up in the restroom (baby wipes are awesome for this! Good recommendation, someone!) and was at my desk by 7:00.

Hope everyone else had fun!

Veronica
05-18-2007, 06:24 AM
The same as every other work day. :D

I did bring home ten pounds of textbooks last night. That's the worst thing about a combo class - two sets of books to lug around!

V.

divingbiker
05-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Good ride into DC today, especially since I made it before the sprinkles started. I rode into the office at my usual time, then showered and walked down to Freedom Plaza to the BTW Day rally to get my t-shirt and water bottle. As usual, there were a lot of bikers at the downtown pit stop.

The PA system was horrible, so I didn't hang around to listen to speeches (the mayor of DC is a triathlete and was going to speak) and the line for food was long and slow, so I just grabbed my schwag and came back to the office.

One of my coworkers won a front and back light set at the raffle.

HillSlugger
05-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Did my first BtW Day commute, my first bike commute since about 1984! It was mostly uneventful.

I rode my hybrid. Unfortunately, it seems to need a front derrailleur adjustment (I had some shifting problems and dropped the chain once). The cyclocomputer wasn't working properly, so I don't know my actual distance and time (around 10 miles and 45 minutes). If I do this some more I'll probably need to invest in panniers and a rack. I was riding with a full backpack and had to be careful about how I shifted my weight.

Got to work and the guard told me to lock my bike up outside, but the building manager was standing there and said it would be OK for me to bring it to my office. Had to wait to shower while they were cleaning the bathroom. It would have been nice it they cleaned the shower, too. It obviously hasn't been used in ages and the shower floor had many dead flies on it.

Got my T-shirt, but I didn't win the bike :(

madscot13
05-18-2007, 07:24 AM
It was great.

I have 17 miles to go. But I got up and left at 5:30 this morning, and it was heavenly. No traffic, just open roads and quiet. Made it to work at 6:40,

Northstar, how do you bike 17 miles an hour? I am jealous...

Crankin
05-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Hey, that's an hour and ten minutes, an average of about 14.3, especially if there's climbs. Very respectable for that time in the AM commute (the same time I commute).
I couldn't commute today; it's predicted to be really raining this afternoon and it's been lightly rianing since the middle of last night :( .

F8th637
05-18-2007, 07:48 AM
It was my first Bike to Work Day as well. I made it to my pit stop out in Virginia at a better time than I have in the past. I did the ride in last Friday and it took me 1.75 hours to do 17 miles with stops for crossing roads, etc. I got my bike adjusted (was having issues shifting up sometimes), had a shot of coffee, won a water bottle as a consolation prize, and picked up my t-shirt. This time I got to the office in 1.5 hours. Do cyclocomputers count time you've been stopped? It was my first time riding with mine.

My legs are nice and tired and sore. I'm not riding back since I will be hitching a ride with my husband. I think that I'm going ot start doing this every Friday. It was great seeing everyone on the trail and I feel great! :o

Tri Girl
05-18-2007, 08:02 AM
It was my first BTW day (although I commute most every day anyway). It was nice to see a couple hundred bikers out in full force. Pretty cool. I even won a new helmet! Woo hoo!
Now I'm back at home, getting ready to head in for an afternoon of work.

Have a great day, ladies!!!

northstar
05-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Hey, that's an hour and ten minutes, an average of about 14.3, especially if there's climbs. Very respectable for that time in the AM commute (the same time I commute).
I couldn't commute today; it's predicted to be really raining this afternoon and it's been lightly rianing since the middle of last night :( .

Yay, my speed's been deemed respectable! :cool: I think it was the nerves. And also the complete lack of traffic.

Madscot, I commute from NE Mpls to Champlin. It's mostly flat. There are just a few hills in Nordeast until I get over into North. (I was worried about biking through there in the near-dark, but it was like a ghost town!) Glad you had fun this morning, too!

mimitabby
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
This was my 3rd bike to work day in a row. (I did it before, but it was a long time ago)
I was thrilled to see 3 other riders on beacon avenue (a sleepy street)
and a 4th at the station (bike station set up for today only)
then I saw two more on my way into work.

What a beautiful day here. We've had some bike to work days that were just ROTTEN wet and cold.

Eden
05-18-2007, 11:04 AM
As I am not working I didn't bike to work per se, but I did man a booth. Handed out lots of cards for the MS150, sold a T-shirt, told a lot of folks that no I don't work for Group Health, they are just the title sponsor of our bike team... It was fun. Was asked what team I raced for at least once (while wearing my full kit mind you - no I don't wear a logo across my backside for kicks)... Most fun was probably when the UW rep came over and asked us if we all got the passes and found a place to park - and we all kind of gave her a blank look - ummmm park, well my bikes right over there.....
The booth was right along the Burke Gilman trail so we had a lot of people come by. We ran out of bananas, Cliff Bars, King County bike maps and blue t-shirts.

Kimmyt
05-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I didn't do the organized BTW day, but I did do a bit of organizing myself. Unfortunately, the weather didn't really cooperate. I had cajoled a group of 7 people including a completely new (or wannabe new) commuter to ride in, we were to meet at acentral location and all ride in together to work. Rain would call the ride, but when I woke up the roads were a bit wet (not too bad) and it didn't appear to be raining.

When I walked out of my house to my car there was a very fine mist coming down, almost nonexistent. I knew there wouldn't be alot of folks, plus the temp was pretty chilly, sub-60 degrees. Ah well.

Waited in the lot at the appropriate time and no one showed up. Guess the weather was too 'bad' for them, but to be honest I wasn't crazy myself about riding home in another rain storm and probably would have bailed if I hadn't been the organizer. Another girl showed up just as I was about to give up, and the two of us had a good ride in, she showed me a 'shortcut' to work that took out a scary highway but put in a serious climb (doable maybe once in awhile, but not every day).

On the upside, it is getting easier and easier to wake up to go commute, today I barely spared a moment for 'oh man if only I could sleep in another hour' and instead just rolled out of bed and got into my car. Here's to hoping the skies don't open up (again) on my way home!

lph
05-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Hey, this sounds kind of cool. I must admit I was thinking that "Bike to Work DAY" sounded kind of odd, since to me and most other bike commuters I know bike commuting is a habit you have to work in over a period of time. Here in Norway we have a nation-wide Bike To Work campaign that runs from early May to about mid June, and even that I feel is a bit short.

But as I kept reading I realized that making a big fuss about one single day, with prizes and food! - bike for a bagel is a terrific idea! - actually makes it that much easier for people who don't really want to bike, to give it a try. And maybe some of them are pleasantly surprised at how "possible" it is?

Next winter I'll have to try to pick one of the dry and mild winter days and make it "cycle for chocolate"-day :rolleyes:

[Hah! My dh just suggested "cycle for doughnuts-day" (it kind of rhymes in Norwegian), with a logo of a bike with doughnut wheels.... :D ]

7rider
05-18-2007, 12:33 PM
But as I kept reading I realized that making a big fuss about one single day, with prizes and food! - bike for a bagel is a terrific idea! - actually makes it that much easier for people who don't really want to bike, to give it a try. And maybe some of them are pleasantly surprised at how "possible" it is?

:D ]

Exactly.
Many of the women who biked to work today (and posted here) are actually regular bike commuters.
As part of a bigger initiative to get folks to ditch their car and ride their bike, there is "National Bike Month" (May), "National Bike to Work Week" (May 14-18), and today....Bike to Work Day. It's to just get the public awareness up and to give them one day - with all the fanfare and hoopla - to give it a try. The hope, of course, is that they enjoy it, realize it is feasible, and pick it up as part of their routine.
...Like MDHillSlug. Congrats on the first commute! Hope it went well enough to do it again!

MomOnBike
05-18-2007, 01:02 PM
A bit of irony here.

During Bike to Work Week, I drove one day (donated blood, no energy afterward) and DH had to drive twice.

We just figured we were celebrating Alternate Transportation Week. :rolleyes:

The weather was beautiful here, I hope others took advantage.

Geonz
05-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Indeed, I ironically took the day off. We don't have a whole lot formally going on - cheap coffee at four places and we sent out emails - so I don't even know how much happened. (We have a fair number of commuters already, anyway - I hope that *they* at least dropped in for the goodies!)

divingbiker
05-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Here are a couple of pictures that someone from work took.

This one is kinda cool with the Capitol in the background. It shows a small part of the chaos that is Bike to Work day downtown.

This is the DC mayor, Adrian Fenty. I like this picture because of his "Taxation Without Representation" jersey. (DC is trying to get a seat in the House of Representatives.) They gave away the Jamis Coda Comp in front of the podium.

7rider
05-18-2007, 04:33 PM
No fair!
D.C. offers a cooler background for pix!
Here's some folks in the Silver Spring stop and Mike, stumping for the Trek Lime.

7rider
05-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Crud. Too fast on the "Submit Reply" button....

pyxichick
05-19-2007, 05:26 AM
I took advantage of the bike to work event to finally ride my bike to work. I was afraid I would have a hard time finding a route, but it was actually pretty easy. And I hitched onto the group of people who rode with the mayor of St. Paul for part of the way. The 14 miles out to the 'burbs took me 1:10 with three pretty good hills. On the way back, with a headwind it took the same amount of time.

My co-workers all thought I was a superhero!

Yay! I'm going to do it again.

mimitabby
05-19-2007, 05:27 AM
yay Pixiechick! that's what it's all about.

madscot13
05-19-2007, 06:38 AM
I took advantage of the bike to work event to finally ride my bike to work. I was afraid I would have a hard time finding a route, but it was actually pretty easy. And I hitched onto the group of people who rode with the mayor of St. Paul for part of the way. The 14 miles out to the 'burbs took me 1:10 with three pretty good hills. On the way back, with a headwind it took the same amount of time.

My co-workers all thought I was a superhero!

Yay! I'm going to do it again.

hey you were there too! awesome! that was such a great time for me. I don't know if you noticed but I was the kid wearing the jeans and black zip up with a white helmet. I was also riding a green bike. Where do you bike from?

uforgot
05-19-2007, 08:06 AM
I promised my students a gatorade if they rode their bike to school. I had 9 ride and most of them stored their bikes in my room. Crowded but fun, and lots of others said they would do it next year! I had two graduating seniors ride an old rusty tandem. (4th and 5th from left in their cap and gown, only you can't see the cap) After graduation practice, they rode it around town for fun. Here is the pic that's going in the local paper. (I cropped their heads off for security, the paper will print the full pic)

Tri Girl
05-19-2007, 08:15 AM
That's too cool, uforgot!!! I should've offered an incentive to my students- never even thought of that! Great job to your kiddos- and the graduating seniors on the tandem- priceless!!!

uforgot
05-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Funny thing, I had to remind over half of them about choosing their gatorade. They simply thought it was a fun thing to do.

bikerHen
05-19-2007, 10:31 AM
My Bike to Work morning was my usual uneventful commute. My PM Bike to Home ride proved to be more exciting! First I was cruising along with a sweet tailwind and got smacked on the cheek by a HUGE bumble bee which thankfully did NOT fall into my shirt! Next as I took my lane to go through a roundabout the car in front decided to STOP and I came about as close as I ever want to rear ending a car. :eek: Then along a narrow no-shoulder road I almost ran off the road talking to a dog :rolleyes: and a few block later a kid driving a huge old car came within inches of causing a wreck cause he couldn't wait 10 seconds for a car coming the other way to pass before he passed me! And . . . to top it all off, at the last stop light before home, for the first time, my cleat slipped on the pavement when I put my foot down and my all important girlie bit hit the top tube. OUCH! :eek: ! Thank god for a chamios!! I was really glad to get home, alive. :D bikerHen

pyxichick
05-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Madscot,

My starting point is West River Road and Midtown Greenway (I live about a block from there) and I rode out to Maplewood. Beautiful day, wasn't it? Where is your starting point? Do you commute often?

madscot13
05-19-2007, 01:49 PM
pyxiechick,
I just graduated and am vvery unemployed. But I thought it would be fun to ride with everyone else on their way to work. When I do find a job I would like to be able to bike there so I will support initiatives like this one even thought it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to be with you guys on a Ride your bike to work day. But I use a bike for nearly all of other runnings aroundings like grocery shopping and volunteering and stuff.

I live near Macalester College about 2 blocks east of Snelling Ave and 2 blocks south of Summit. It is a nice neighborhood.

Oh and yes I second the beautiful day thoughts (that is until about 8:00 when it began raining but then became a beautiful day again).

Kimmyt
05-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Madscot, that is awesome! You rode into work and didn't have a work to go into! Purely awesome! Also, good luck on your job hunt!

K.

madscot13
05-22-2007, 05:14 AM
After I told my roommate the story, she thinks I am crazy wonderful but crazy. I was out the door before she was even awake!