PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Law of Commuting

bikerHen
05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
This happens regularly during my commutes but this morning it was sooo blantant . . . I was riding along my usual busy stretch of roadway all alone. Just me and a kinda sucky headwind on the nice wide shoulder. This went on for over a mile, NO TRAFFIC, yeah! As soon as I hit a construction zone, no shoulder, lots of rocks/sand and three inch drop offs, here comes a steady stream of logging trucks, delivery trucks, cars you name it. :eek: Why does this always happen? It's just got to be that Murphy's Law thing! :D bikerHen

Kimmyt
05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I don't know, but yesterday it was raining on my ride home. The weather was ok, just a light rain, of course until I got to the really hairy part of the commute where I'm riding on a busy trafficky road with no shoulder. This part normally makes me scared, and just as I got there, the skies opened up and the rain came down so hard I couldn't hardly see.

Go figure, it had to happen JUST when I got to the dangerous section!

K.

SadieKate
05-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Bikerhen, is the hubby commuting to work this year? He said he was or was going to try do it more, I forget which. For someone who says he doesn't ride, he zipped along pretty well.

Jolt
05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Reminds me of how the wicked headwinds always seem to come up as I'm making my way uphill! We should make a list of "Murphy's laws of cycling"!!

bikerHen
05-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Bikerhen, is the hubby commuting to work this year? He said he was or was going to try do it more, I forget which. For someone who says he doesn't ride, he zipped along pretty well.

He has actually. Well twice this week anyway. He drove today though cause that kill 3 mile commute wears him out. :rolleyes: As the weather gets nicer I hope I can shame him into riding three or four days a week. :D

Kimmyt and Jolt, Glad I'm not the only "unlucky" rider. And yes, let's here how Murphy's Law manages to make everyones rides just a little more interesting! bikerHen

Kitsune06
05-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Reminds me of how the wicked headwinds always seem to come up as I'm making my way uphill! We should make a list of "Murphy's laws of cycling"!!

1. Even if it looks clear, if you forgot your rain jacket, it will rain.

2. The further you are from your destination, the more likely you are to get a flat.

3. Exception to 2- the more ironically close to your destination, the more likely, too.

4. The days you'll *really* need to charge your bike light, you'll most likely forget to.

Jolt
05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
3. Exception to 2- the more ironically close to your destination, the more likely, too.

I experienced this one a few weeks ago--just as I was about to make the left turn into the parking lot of the store, my rear tire went flat. Which brings me to another flat-tire Murphy's Law: When you flat, it will be the rear rather than the front. Here's another general one: When you drop your chain, it will be at the bottom of a steep hill that you're getting ready to climb.

Kitsune06
05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Caveat to the last one, it could also be humorously and/or ironically close to the top, but juuuuust far enough from the top that you manage to have a 0mph tipover before unclipping.

Laterider21958
05-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Murphy's Law happens here in Australia too.

Not the strongest rider (working on it though) and decided to try out a rail trail (bike track constructed where railway tracks used to run), but was not sure exactly where it started. Decided to go to the next town and ride back to the first (instead of the other way round). Easily found it outside of town no. 2 and proceeded. Found that even though it is promoted in tourism info, it is actually not very well maintained and overgrown with weeds and shrubs. Found a dirt farm track running parallel to the trail and used that instead. Great on the outward trip, but..... the return trip had an interesting uphill trend, and then the weather changed and a brisk headwind sprung up. Had a beetroot red face when I got to the car. Now I know why I should have done the trip as I had first planned!

Our town also seems to have unusual wind patterns. Some days it seems that no matter which direction I go, I am riding into the wind.:eek:

Bron
05-18-2007, 01:18 AM
5. The headwind that slowed you down on the way to work will drop as soon as you get there. By the time you are cycling home it will have swung round by 180° and be ready to greet you again.

lph
05-18-2007, 01:54 AM
5. The headwind that slowed you down on the way to work will drop as soon as you get there. By the time you are cycling home it will have swung round by 180° and be ready to greet you again.

O yes.

Jolt
05-18-2007, 05:13 AM
Our town also seems to have unusual wind patterns. Some days it seems that no matter which direction I go, I am riding into the wind.:eek:

That often happens here as well!

7rider
05-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Oh, that's a major law of cycling: You shall always have a headwind!

One truth I always seem to run across - on a nearly empty road, when two cars are about to pass going in opposite directions, they will always do so right when they are right beside you!

susiej
05-18-2007, 08:42 AM
1. Even if it looks clear, if you forgot your rain jacket, it will rain.

Or if it looks clear and you are wearing white pants (for those of us with a commute short enough to make riding shorts unnecessary). Doesn't matter if it's in the middle of a drought, either.

Trek420
05-18-2007, 08:47 AM
When you ride to work your company work i.d./badge will be in the car. :rolleyes: