PDA

View Full Version : Warning, Warning, Warning

massbikebabe
08-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Do Not, Under Any Circumstances, and being of sound mind and body...attempt to show your child/friend/partner/how to do a pop wheelie on a road bike after PROOFHIDING a Brooks Saddle...
(what in the hell was I thinking!?!)

Karen,
who thinks that falls hurt more at 41

jobob
08-12-2004, 08:53 AM
Heh, I found proofhiding made the saddle less slippery.

But thank you for the advice, duly noted !

( ... as if I could actually pop a wheelie :p )

I'm VERY impressed with you - even if you are a tad crazed :D

Maine-iac
08-12-2004, 09:59 AM
You can actually do a wheelie on a road bike???? Wow...now THAT is real talent.........

massbikebabe
08-12-2004, 10:26 AM
I used to power lift...and I have these big first generation irish-American shoulders...been ripping out shoulder pads my whole life!...anyway...still lifting and have GREAT upper body strength. Trying to show my 12 year old that his ole Mom still has it, and whamo, flat on me arse. I was so MAD!I wanted to prove that despite the fact that he is now 5 inches taller than me, I am still stronger:mad: BUT, when he got to my recovering body on the ground the first thing he said was "Jeez Mom, your a stud!" I think that's good in todays teen speak...hell I only understand half of what they say to me anymore...especially his sister...
Everything has recovered, even my pride:o ;)

karen

ps- Since I have turned over the 40 odometer is it normal to take full body surface inventory after a fall??? Never did that in my twenties or thirties even...just got back on and rode in dem days

fasteryet
08-12-2004, 01:32 PM
reply to ps - I think it is normal. I started noticing myself doing that after I hit 45. I took a pretty good fall about two weeks ago, and lay there thinking, OK, nothing feels broken, all toes and fingers move, no blood gushing, guess I better get up :)

Irulan
08-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by massbikebabe
I used to power lift...and I have these big first generation irish-American shoulders...been ripping out shoulder pads my whole life!...anyway...still lifting and have GREAT upper body strength. Trying to show my 12 year old that his ole Mom still has it, and whamo, flat on me arse. I was so MAD!I wanted to prove that despite the fact that he is now 5 inches taller than me, I am still stronger:mad: BUT, when he got to my recovering body on the ground the first thing he said was "Jeez Mom, your a stud!" I think that's good in todays teen speak...hell I only understand half of what they say to me anymore...especially his sister...
Everything has recovered, even my pride:o ;)

karen

ps- Since I have turned over the 40 odometer is it normal to take full body surface inventory after a fall??? Never did that in my twenties or thirties even...just got back on and rode in dem days

Maybe one of his pals will get you a "your mom is HOT " bumper sticker!!!**

You story is funny because I can so relate. This summer I discovered that aliens had kidnapped my boys and replaced them with men. Men with big feet and hairy legs and they are looking down at me!!

And yes, it's very common espeically with us old mountain bikers to do inventory before we get up.

~Irulan

**I'd kill for one of those

pedalfaster
08-12-2004, 03:21 PM
After watching Floyd and Robbie pop wheelies on their road bikes, I decided to work on mine too! :D

Any tips/tricks to share?

I can wheelie (not great but enough to get up-n-over stuff) on the mtb, but the road bike sure is tough. My roadie-wheelie lasts about 10 seconds and is only a few inches off the ground...what am I doing wrong? :confused:

I've wondered if the balance thing has something to do with those huge 700c wheels being stuffed into my tiny 50 cm frame?

massbikebabe
08-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Pedalfaster:

I always start at the end of a climb so that gravity can work with me. I have done dead pulls up, but lately I have lost some of the old nerves. Once I get the front up, the rest sorta falls into place for me...until today. I can usually ride the length of the street in front of my house. Your wheels may have some lock on your pull...I ride 650c wheels so have ample room to turn. Prior to falling I was going to spin the front wheel around a bit, before landing. In the 1970's I could stand on my top tube with my bike in motion but would not even think to try that now...hubby says life insurance and disability frown on such acts of heroism.

Iru...ain't it amazing how fast they have gone from boy to young man. My son's voice has dropped, and he also has gigantic feet. Matter of fact I bought shoes for him yesterday that I am sure he will grow out of by November. I cringed when I saw one of your kids got hit by a firecracker. We ride alone alot and I always have this morbid fear some idiot is going to scare my guy away from the sport he is growing to love. Saved up all his "chore" money this summer to buy a new Bianchi frame, with all of the accessories! Since I am not working this summer we have become riding partners:cool: And yes, I to want a HOT bumper sticker...I'd even accept a hot for teacher bumpersticker!!

karen