PDA

View Full Version : Jolt!

pooks
05-16-2007, 03:10 PM
And I'm not talking cola.

Okay, so if we can talk cysts and chafed girly bits I guess I can finally bring myself to ask about my own special issue.

Like many women who reach my age (don't ask) and are overweight and have given birth to three big babies, I have bladder issues. The gynecologist told me my bladder is in good shape and doesn't need any repair, but I may go ahead and see a urologist because this is getting ridiculous.

Sneezing, coughing can make me lose urine. Any kind of physical jolt can.

Which brings me to my cycling.

Whenever I have a hard jolt -- stopping so hard I almost lose control of the bike can do it; today's fall did it -- I leave DNA evidence at the scene of the crime. Sigh.

With black shorts I think it doesn't show. (I'm hoping.) Today I thought I needed to ride on home since my wrist was hurting and my shorts were wet, and I find the idea of developing diaper rash at the ripe age of (don't ask) does not appeal.

But then I thought, forget that. I kept riding. Didn't experience any discomfort from the wet shorts, which kind of surprised me. Maybe all this water I've been drinking watered down my urine so much it was too weak to hurt me?

Anyway when I got home I showered well, used chamois butter (after the cow's escaped the barn? what's that old saying?) and now I'm asking.

Anybody else have this issue? I can't imagine there's anything I can do (except more Kegels!) because any kinds of pads would be miserably uncomfortable, and it's not like it happens often.

MomOnBike
05-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Well, it is diaper rash, probably by a different name, so use diaper rash goo. I use Desitin. I don't know if my moisture is dribbles, sweat, Something Else or a nasty combination, but the Desitin is comforting, if nothing else.

I also carry along baby butt wipes to clean off, um, anything that needs cleaning. A quick, discrete wipe couldn't hurt, if you can manage.

Kegels can't hurt, I don't know if they'd help. I'm also told that losing weight can't hurt. Right. I'll do that before tomorrow morning's ride.

surgtech1956
05-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Pooks, I don't have this problem, but work as a surgical technologist and there is a surgical procedure that a urologist can do for this 'stress urinary incontinence', its called a 'pubo vaginal sling'. Here's a link to more info -
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3084.htm
There is also medication for it too.

surgtech1956
05-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Sorry, I guess I didn't read your post very well and missed you saying that your gyn said your bladder didn't need repair. Sorry, for the your response to your post.

Dianyla
05-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Like many women who reach my age (don't ask) and are overweight and have given birth to three big babies, I have bladder issues. The gynecologist told me my bladder is in good shape and doesn't need any repair, but I may go ahead and see a urologist because this is getting ridiculous.

Sneezing, coughing can make me lose urine. Any kind of physical jolt can.

Pooks, you're so not alone on this one. I've never had kids, and I've had this problem since my teens. Sneezing, coughing, and any hard bumps.

It doesn't happen to me as often on the bike, but it always happens to me when I'm skiing. It totally pisses me off to be ripping down a ski slope and suddenly I have to bail out of something (or I just flat out crash). Once I do the body/limb check and make sure the big stuff's ok, then I realize that GRRRRR! I've just pissed my pants! :mad:

I swear I end up at the end of every ski day with ammonia-undies. It doesn't matter whether I use any sort of liner or not, I'm just not going to go to the bathroom to replace it every hour so I just deal with it. It's usually just a small teaspoon or so, but that's enough to cause a lot of irritation over time.

Hmmph, I'm wondering if I should see a Gyn/Uro as well. :cool:

KnottedYet
05-16-2007, 05:59 PM
There is physical therapy for this, too.

Lots of fun exercises! (some actually can be fun) :D

anneimall
05-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Kid number one did it to me too. About a year later, I took a conditioning class and ended up on a trampoline leaking with every bounce. My black pants hid nothing and I finished the class with a dark circle approaching my knees (very embarassing to say the least). But, I loved the trampoline and just kept going and going. I'm sure my son would be mortified if he were old enough. But that's the luxury of being a mom I guess.

You are definitely not alone ...

trekin'
05-16-2007, 06:28 PM
A good friend of mine (and biking buddy), mother of three, was going to have the pubo vaginal sling surgery, but she got a second opinion and was told about a procedure where collegen is injected in the bladder area (I suppose around the urethra). She had that done instead, it was done at the hospital's day surgery, and she hasn't regretted it. She was told it might last only a couple of years, or it could last longer. She's in her 50's, and would rather not have the surgery until nothing else works.

Another option for those who are seeking solutions...

DrBadger
05-17-2007, 08:25 PM
my mom actually had real problems with this for a while, but saw a PT who specialized in incontinence issues and is doing a TON better. I asked her to write up the exercises that she does for you all, so I am going to attach it here, and try to attach the images of the sheet with exercises from her PT, but if that doesn't work and you want it PM me with your e-mail and I will send you the pdf.

From PABadger's mom:
I was referred to a physical therapist by my doctor; the therapist specializes in treating incontinence issues. She examined me and taught me the correct way to do Kegels, and reevaluated me after 4 or 5 weeks, when I showed marked improvement.

This was a repeat of the sequence of events from a few years back, but I had stopped doing the Kegels regularly and so had suffered from a much worse situation. On my follow-up appointment, when I had shown improvement, she told me about a new series of breathing exercises that would supplement the Kegels and in some cases even replace them.

I now do these breathing exercises for 20 counts morning and evening, just before arising and just as I go to bed. It has been life-changing—and I don’t even do the Kegels regularly any more. (Every couple of months, if I begin to feel less confident, I will do Kegels for a week or so.) But I have gone from being afraid to walk the dog in the evening without wearing protection AND carrying something that can be wrapped around my waist just in case….to not having to think about it.

The exercise:

Lie on your back, feet together. Inhale, and turn your toes out. Exhale, while moving toes back together.

That’s it!! These breathing exercises target the muscles along the pelvic wall, from hip to groin, which support the bladder (that’s how it was explained to me). There are four exercises listed in the program but I have not needed to do anything other than the simple breathing.

I highly recommend finding a physical therapist who specializes in this issue and discussing the “Beyond Kegels’ program with her. Good luck.

Laterider21958
05-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Sounds like you need to do pelvic floor exercises. These can be done anywhere at any time. The muscles you need to build are the ones you use to let go when you urinate. To make sure you are working on the correct ones you begin to pee and then stop mid-stream. (This is only to work out what muscles you need to use - it's not recommended to stop mid-stream all the time!!!) Now that you can do it, do 10 muscle contractions, holding each for about 10 seconds. Repeat this several times a day. Simple. :) Oh, I believe one added benefit is improvement in your sex life. Double bonus :D :D

pooks
05-18-2007, 03:57 AM
This is all great info. Thanks!

(And that trampoline thing -- oh well, I guess my bike shorts aren't hiding anything, either!)

PA -- thank your mom bunches.

And I had a girlfriend when I was in high school who would "lose it" if he laughed too hard, and if you know teenaged girls, you know we would collapse into giggles over anything -- especially her protests, "No, no, don't make me laugh --" at which point we would all laugh hysterically, including her. Ooops.

Susan Campbell
05-18-2007, 09:44 AM
There is a simple surgery for that. It's a sling support put in.
I had the same issue and after the surgery only 1 week off work and a fews off cycling. Your only under the general for about 15 minutes so recovery is quick and you're not in over night. same day . Oh my ...what a difference. I believe someone else pointed you to a website for it.

mimitabby
05-18-2007, 11:55 AM
wow, you gals are amazing! I think someone can come here and get 10 times the benefit of one doctor's opinion!

pooks
06-25-2007, 04:06 AM
Well. I guess even glam girls sometimes have probs when they jolt around.

http://music.aol.com/photo-galleries/shocking-concert-moments/fergie-pees-pants-on-stage

Zen
06-25-2007, 06:28 AM
There is physical therapy for this, too.

Lots of fun exercises! (some actually can be fun) :D

I guess that depends on the instructor :eek: