PDA

View Full Version : Help for Juvenile Diabetes and a Great Guy

SadieKate
05-16-2007, 07:18 AM
You’ve all read about Homey and his incredible willingness to help. Maillotpois calls him the Yoda of Cycling. I wouldn’t have made it through the heat of the SLO Wildflower without him. He obviously made a huge difference to Veronica during the Central Coast Double. Maillotpois is hoping to break the sound barrier the Davis Double this weekend and I think Jobob will be next on the Homey list based on her burgeoning long distance riding career.

Homey is riding RAAM again this year, but this time on a mixed 4-person team and they are raising money for Juvenile Diabetes.

Their official website: http://www.colourprep.com/teamjdrf/

We can support Homey and the Juvenile Diabetes research by purchasing a time station or an entire state. A time station can be purchased for $100-$300 or a full state can be purchased for $500. When the team approaches our claimed state or time station the appointed person will receive a call about the team’s progress. These funds will allow the team to purchase gas along the way for the support vehicles. RAAM is an expensive event and even more so when you’re trying to raise funds for a worthwhile cause at the same time.

Would anyone like to join us? Anyone like to see Amici Veloci on the team’s website as a fast friend of Homey and an excellent foundation? I'll be sure that Homey and the team get the names of all who participated.

If so, please post here as soon as possible and send me a confidential PM with the amount. As soon as I get some idea of the total funds (hopefully by the end of the day), I’ll commit so we get our name up as far in advance of the June 10th start as possible.

The easiest and fastest way I can collect your funds is via PayPal but please remember that PayPal will collect a percentage. sarahandbubba at sbcglobal dot net.

Thanks, as always, for your support.

SK

aka_kim
05-16-2007, 08:02 AM
I've always wanted to purchase a state.

(I hope George Pinney will not be the Team JDRF crew chief this year, otherwise ... they're doomed! :eek: )

maillotpois
05-16-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm in! I've also always wanted a state...

SadieKate
05-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Ok, the race is on! We need $500 total.

I'll inquire about California and New Jersey.

jobob
05-16-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm in. The finish line would be cool, but Joisey or Khalifornia would be great too. I'll leave it to the Great Decider or her humble protege.

SadieKate
05-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Uh, Joisey is the finish line. Go have some more coffee.:rolleyes: :p

jobob
05-16-2007, 08:29 AM
well excuuuuuse me ... at one point you were talking about sponsoring the actual finish line. :p :p :p

more coffee? why, don't mind if I do ...

SadieKate
05-16-2007, 08:32 AM
We can get the finish line and the state (if it's still avaialble). Double whammy.

But "seeing" them off in California while they're still conscious would be good, too.

Veronica
05-16-2007, 08:34 AM
What's our total thus far? Would $1000 get us both Jersey and California?

V.

aka_kim
05-16-2007, 08:36 AM
How about California and the Finish Line? (Who really cares about the rest of Joisey anyway? :) ).

jobob
05-16-2007, 08:42 AM
I like Kim's idea. :)

maillotpois
05-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Well, you can't separate the finish line from Jersey. I think we're stuck with Jersey if we want the finish line. Plus, there are some nice areas in Jersey - lovely countryside. And the Newark Airport is actually a great airport. Way better than Dulles, for example. (I'm really trying here....)

jobob
05-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Oh, Okay. :rolleyes:

aka_kim
05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
We can't buy the Finish Line time station, and the entire glorious state of California?

SadieKate
05-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Depending on our budget, what about the starting station and the finishing station. Or you just have to have an ENTIRE state.

jobob
05-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Well, I really like Kim's idea, but if it turns out that in order to get the finish line (which is, ahem, in Jersey :rolleyes: ) we would have to sponsor the whole state, I'm fine with that.

The start & finish would be tres nifty as well, if we could get those separate from the actual states. Or sponsor both states, or just one.

Basically, whatever the amount we drum up can finance, I'm fine with it. :cool:

aka_kim
05-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Oui, oui. If the budget doesn't allow for our grand plans, starting and finishing stations would be cool.

Fredwina
05-16-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm in. not for much as I like, but I've got to meet my budget.

Trekhawk
05-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Im in!! I dont really have much of a clue about RAAM but it sounds like a jolly good cause. :)

SadieKate
05-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I've got commitments for just over $600 (without the extra some of you said "if necessary"), but the start/finish stations were already claimed and the web site in the process of being updated. The state of AZ is now claimed also.

Next choices? We could get the remaining stations in Khalifonee-a and Joisey.

Brenda says she flexible and will work with us. Whatcha think?

http://www.colourprep.com/teamjdrf/

Veronica
05-17-2007, 08:17 AM
How about one in each state? Or every other?

Really don't care. Just want to support Bernie. :)

V.

jobob
05-17-2007, 08:26 AM
What V. said - whatever works with the funds we have.

Some stations in CA and NJ would be fine, or maybe CA, NJ, and some in-between?

SadieKate
05-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Since the start and end stations were already claimed, I decided to go with the theme of welcoming the team to each state as they ticked them off the list. We have:

Collins, MO
Greenville, IL
Putnamville, IN
Troy, OH
Parkersburg, WV
(skipped MD because taken)
Rouzerville, PA
McKee, NJ

I felt comfortable committing to $700 and can get more stations if more people participate.

The team starts on June 12th and expects to take 6 days. The team will call a different person for each station so I’ll send out an email. There are non-TE people participating so I want them to have an equal opportunity to get a call.

This'll be fun. You folks that take calls need to take notes because yellow and I will be without phone coverage as of the 16th when the team will hit go through stations.

jobob
05-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Excellent SK. I really like the first station per (available) state idea. :cool:

SadieKate
05-17-2007, 09:56 AM
More money just walked in the door. :D

Going with the theme of welcoming them to each available state, the new list is:

Lake Henshaw, CA
Williams, AZ
Collins, MO
Greenville, IL
Putnamville, IN
Troy, OH
Parkersburg, WV
(skipped MD because taken)
Rouzerville, PA
Delaware Memorial Bridge, NJ (was McKee but the Bridge is the first station)

We’ve raised $950 and can get even more stations if more people participate.

ShubieGA
05-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Count me in too. Will PM with amount.

bikerz
05-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Me too! PM on the way!

SadieKate
05-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Cool! Because of yawl, I just asked for our 10th time station. Yippee!

jobob
05-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Goodness! :cool:

SadieKate
05-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Just added McKee to bring us to 10. Somebody better claim the phone contact on that one 'cause it'll be getting exciting!

Lake Henshaw, CA
Williams, AZ
Collins, MO
Greenville, IL
Putnamville, IN
Troy, OH
Parkersburg, WV
Rouzerville, PA
Delaware Memorial Bridge, NJ
McKee City, NJ

SadieKate
05-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Here's the card I picked up for Homey. It's from www.amandahancocks.com and is actually a family photo. Kind of neat.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/HomeyscardGL46.jpg

bikerz
05-17-2007, 10:00 PM
penultimate!

Good word!

Triskeliongirl
05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm in! I helped out last year on BJ with the wheel replacement fund. Let's hope they don't need that again!!!!!!!!!!!

SadieKate
05-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks! I got your PM and replied.

yellow
06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Bump!

I got the call from Bernie last night...er, rather he left a message on my cell phone because I was in the grocery store without my phone :( . Anyway, he sounded great. He was very thankful to everyone who contributed to their effort!

SadieKate is next on the phone call list!

SadieKate
06-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Shucks. I missed Bernie's call at 8:31, but he sounded happy and upbeat. I guess he should since it's the only the 8th time station, though by this time last year he had a ton of stitches in him.

If someone gets to talk to him, wish him the best!

And maybe don't tell him that I was having Prime Tenderloin and Creme Brulee at Wolfgang Puck's Spago in Las Vegas. :p

jobob
06-13-2007, 10:18 PM
And maybe don't tell him that I was having Prime Tenderloin and Creme Brulee at Wolfgang Puck's Spago in Las Vegas. :p

Hmm, sounds like the chip on #22 paid off big. :cool:

SadieKate
06-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Heck, if I won anything it would have been shared with you on bike parts or ice cream or beer or whatever it would have afforded. Spago was yummy but I'M FREAKIN' SICK OF BEING COOPED UP WITH MY FELLOW INMATES!

Sorry, feeling a little claustrophic. :o

Fredwina
06-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Bernie called about 7:00Pm tonight. He's in the Show-me state(also, my native state) at Collins, MO Sounded great! I was at a bike club board meeting, so I could not talk very long, Really didn't want to take much of his time, and the cell reception was bad.
Go Team JDRF!

maillotpois
06-18-2007, 01:53 PM
woo hoo! bernie just called!! it isn't my official time station yet, but I think he just eanted to check in. I asked where they were and he wasn't entirely sure, but said somewhere in Ohio.

he sounded great - very good spirits. about 500 miles to go - they're on the home stretch!!

jobob
06-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Excellent ! :cool:

bikerz
06-19-2007, 10:22 AM
MP - I'm so glad you posted! I got a call yesterday too, at about 3:00 pm, just as I was heading into a conference call, and after that I was without any posting capability until just now (my 6-year old nephew and 2-year old niece are visiting - it's like living in a hurricane :eek: I don't know how all you parents do it!)

But yes - he sounded great, and said the ride is going very well, and wanted to thank everyone for the support. :)

jobob
06-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Just got my call from Bernie - they're still in PA, but rapidly approaching Jersey, woo-hoo !

He said they're in rain and thudershowers right now, and he said something about a tornado warning (ack!!). I asked him if wind was a problem, and he said they were experiencing a lot of side winds.

The connection was pretty bad, and just as I asked him if there was anything he wanted to say to the folks on bikejournal & TE, the connection died.

In theory I may hear again from him, or someone else on the team, in a couple of hours - I'm getting the calls both from TS 55, Delaware Mem Bridge (the one they're approaching), and TS 56 in McKee City, NJ which is the last timestation before the finish.

So please feel free to let me know if there's anything you want me to tell them as they approach the finish !

Veronica
06-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Wooohooo!!!! They finished a little after 4 this morning!

V.