PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Check-In, Day 1 (From New Riders Board)

MKEBuckeye
05-16-2007, 07:51 AM
A group of us on the New Riders board have decided to join one another in our weight loss goals. We decided, however, that the post would be more appropriate over here. Feel free to join in if you'd like!

Our plan is to "check-in" every Wednesday, stating our weight changes toward a goal. No actual weight is necessary, just posts such as +2, -4, etc. We went with mid-week to avoid the immediate effects from weekends where slip-ups are more likely.

So - since today is the first day of the weight-loss "program" we're trying, why don't we all start by saying what our goal is. Then, the first actual weigh-in will be next week.

So, weigh yourselves today, and stay on track! Don't forget - you have people to report your progress to now

My goal is 20 pounds. I'd realistically like to lose 15 of it by the end of June, beginning of July. I plan to do this by riding more, and incorporating various types of cardio and strength training into my schedule. I'm a horrible eater, so will handle that with baby steps. Maybe first I'll cut back on the excessive amounts of junk food I eat and continue increasing my water intake.

Good luck, ladies - I'll post again next Wednesday for everyone to "check-in"!!

pastrypam
05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

It is great that we are doing this together. I think it really will help to have a support group:cool:

My goal is to loose 30 - 40 pounds. I would love to loose 2 pounds a week but will be happy just seeing the scale go down.:D I bought a scale and think it will be easier to track my progress by weighing once a week.

I rode 18 miles on Monday and 25 miles (hill ride) on Tuesday. It is getting hot here in the So. Cal. Desert so I have to get up early to get on the road. I have a hard time when the heat gets over 85.

I also plan to get back into pilates and yoga and going to the gym. I have never taken a spin class and want to try that also. My work will be done the end of May so I will have lots of time to get all these goals met.:)

Looking forward to next Wednesday's weigh in.

Pam

catherinetnc
05-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Howdy Ladies - may I join? I have been lurking for weeks - thought this would be a great opportunity to participate

I need to lose at least 25 pounds. Hope to go on a 15 mile ride this afternoon.

I hate dieting. I love to eat. I'll try to make better choices this week before I plunge into meal planning - too much else going on!

I have slow thyroid and take synthroid. Been riding for a couple of months - no change in weight. Although I feel stronger. Also at that magic age of 42 when perimenopause is knocking at the door.

Thanks for starting the thread!

Catherine in North Carolina

dellafalls
05-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi ladies, This is great may I also join? I would like to loose 20 pounds. I have started to watch what I am eating and riding, and walking when I can. I am having trouble finding enough time so I am reorganizing my routines. Jan

rebran
05-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Hello everyone. . .

O.K. I got on the scale today :eek: . . . .My goal is to lose about 40-50 pounds by the end of the year.

I am riding 4 days a week averaging between 50-100 miles and spin 3 days a week. I am trying to strength train 2 days a week (but I am having trouble finding time) & portion control!

Until next week!
:)

kelownagirl
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Do ya gotta be a new rider?

Jones
05-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Hello ladies,

I wish I would have seen this thread 5 minutes ago, then maybe i wouldn't of just had that piece of red velvet cake. Food is such an issue for me, I love good food and lots of it. I wish I was a picky eater but no, I love all food.

So my goal is to lose 45lbs I hope to reach this goal by eating a better balanced diet. More protien, less cheese:) try to remember my multi-vitamin everyday and fiber, more fiber.

On the exercise front as summer heats up here in Palm Springs I hope to swim more, lift weights at least twice a week and ride my bike 3 times a week or take spin classes.

My goal within a goal is to be down 12lbs by July 20th. That will be the next time I see my sister and she always notices any weight lose.

I really look forward to having an online support group on, I know it will help me. Thanks, Jones

Over50Newbie
05-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Is it okay to only have 10 pounds to lose?

I have been wanting to lose these extra ten pounds for a while now, but they keep sticking around.:rolleyes:

Maybe this will be the motivation that I need to finally make them disappear for good!

Lynette

pooks
05-16-2007, 04:03 PM
I wish I would have seen this thread 5 minutes ago, then maybe i wouldn't of just had that piece of red velvet cake.

Wait.

Nobody told me that I couldn't eat Red Velvet Cake.

Forty-fifty pounds here, too.

And sure, ten is fine. Why not?

ShubieGA
05-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I think anyone who has some weight to ditch is welcome, right?

I would like to lose 30 lb this summer and hope that next year I will hit 90 lost (with patience). This perimenopause stuff sure changes your metabolism! I have been writing down what I eat, so the poor habits will hit me in the face.

I have been riding 3 times per week (18/2x on weekdays) and 25+ on weekends.

I finally started to see a little movement on the scale this week. So I will keep my fingers crossed for next week!

surgtech1956
05-16-2007, 04:51 PM
I would like to lose 40 pounds. Don't have a definite time frame, just wanting to see the scale moving to a lower number. I guess I should buy a new scale too.

mountainchick
05-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Please count me in, I'm very lazy in this regard...

I need to lose between 20-25lbs to get me at my "ideal" weight for my size.

I too have issues with portion control and choosing the right foods. I tend to get into weird funks and eat myself back to where I started from and then have to start back at the beginning, which always depresses me.

I'm glad y'all are there to give support!

divingbiker
05-17-2007, 02:44 AM
I'm going to set my first weight loss goal at 33 pounds. Will re-evaluate when I reach that goal.

I just found out yesterday that my thyroid meds are out of whack, which explains the extreme fatigue and low heart rate I've been experiencing lately. Until the new dosage kicks in--it takes a few weeks--I expect that weight loss will not be happening.

I've started tracking my food and exercise on sparkpeople.com, and have found it a great tool. Between tracking and being accountable here, I hope to see progress through the summer.

tnbikergirl
05-17-2007, 08:05 AM
I've been lurking for a while also.

I'm not a new rider but I am someone who would like to lose some weight. I'm aiming for 20 lbs overall and would like to lose 10 by July 8 - when I vacation with my skinny sister. Hopefully a little accountability and motivation will help. I seem to lose and gain the same 10 lbs every year for the last 2 or 3. This year I need to lose all 20 and keep them off!:o

FrannyMae
05-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Hey All! Checking in for the week...okay, so I'm a day late. My excuse is that I was out riding my bike and didn't get on the computer yesterday!

I have a hard time setting date/weight goals for myself, so for right now I'm going to stick with behavioral goals. I know that I want to lose upwards of 60-70 pounds, but that is a long-term goal.

So, for this week:

Ride 50 miles
Lift weights 2x
Increase water consumption

I figure if I set attainable goals that change my behavior then eventually the weight will come off...right?:rolleyes:

Good luck to all!

Ellen

MKEBuckeye
05-17-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm so excited that so many are interested, hopefully this will help us all be more successful!

Good luck this week!

mudgirl
05-17-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm game. Wednesday is perfect, since that's my weigh-in day at weight watchers, too.

So, I've lost 18.5lbs since the end of January, so that leaves 74.5lbs more that I need to lose to get to the upper range of an ideal weight for my height (5'2"/137lbs). :eek:

Okay, so let's not look at the big picture for now.

I would like to lose .5 to 2lbs per week, but most of all, I just want to get moving again. I have no specific time frame for losing the weight, although it took me 2 years to lose it all before, 2 years to gain it back, so probably about 2 years to lose it again.

As far as riding goals, I'm doing a lot of mountain biking these days, which is really slow-going, and I'm going to try to get in a couple road rides each week. So for now, I'll set a modest goal of 20 miles per week, although I need to get a computer for my bike(s) so I'll know for sure how far I go.

btchance
05-18-2007, 04:39 AM
I'll go and add myself on here also. I don't have much to lose, but need 5lbs off, preferably 10 with 15max. My end goal depends on how I'm feeling. If I lose 10 and feel great, I might go for 15. If I lose 10 and have no strength, well, I've gone too far. My main way to lose this weight is making smart choices. The weight went on with bad eating habits (all kinds of junk food at work and on call), so I figure cutting all that out should help quite a bit.

Good luck ladies!

Bikingmomof3
05-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I will add myself as well. After 2 years I am where I wanted to be and holding just fine. Now I would like to add more lean muscle. So if I could shed about 8 more pounds excellent. :) The absolute maximum would be 18 pounds, but I will see after 8, since I may not have the energy needed if I shed more and I also would prefer to keep some of my female curves. :)

kelownagirl
05-18-2007, 02:27 PM
I've lost 2 lbs this month (23 lbs in the past year,) and have only 3 more to go to reach my goal. It was taking FOREVER to come off - like maybe one lb a month - but since I've been biking almost every day, it just started to drop. I want to be down one more pound by the end of May and the last 2lbs in June. I am also doing upper body strength exercise and hope to continue to build muscle so I can have a leaner, stronger look by summer.

Bikingmomof3
05-23-2007, 05:38 AM
-1.5 pounds (more than I wanted to lose in one week, since i am at the end of my goal). Oh well, I shall keep an eye on thins. I do not want to lose more than .5/week. 7 more pounds to go. :cool:

pooks
05-23-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm down 3 pounds. Woohoo!!!