PDA

View Full Version : got mad, wrote a letter, got published!

mimitabby
05-15-2007, 06:07 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/315646_ltrs15.html

Letters to the Editor

BICYCLES

As a form of transportation, it's not going to go away
I am reminded by co-workers nearly every day that bicycles do not belong on the road. That's kind of funny since a lot of the roads they are driving their cars across were built with bicycles in mind. I am admonished about once a week by motorists, "That's what sidewalks are for!" as they zoom past me on their gas-guzzlers. If they ever even walked on those sidewalks, they would know that they are barely suitable for walking, and where they exist at all in our fair city, are not designed for, safe for or useful for bicyclists.

Would these furious, impatient drivers be hostile and threatening to me, a 125-pound 55-year-old woman in the supermarket? Does driving a dangerous weapon somehow make them above the laws of common sense and civility?

Bicycling as transportation is not going to go away.

kelownagirl
05-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Whoo hoo - you rock Mimi!!!

mimitabby
05-15-2007, 07:04 AM
my mother read the letter and said "did you have to tell your age?"

YES!!

northstar
05-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Good for you.

Our city council member is tooting his horn because they just broke ground on a new bike path in our ward...that skirts the edge of the ward and basically goes from nowhere to nowhere. It doesn't even go through a pretty region for recreational use.

We need commuter routes! The letters are beginning to flow! Keep it up!

missymaya
05-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Way to let the word out!! And the age bit I think is great 'cause then people that age or younger or older can't make that their excuse! I can't wait to start riding to work again Just 2 more days!!

LBTC
05-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Fabulous letter, Mimi! I'm glad they published it. And, yes, I'm glad that you included your age.

I'm not sure who designs bike lanes on city roads, but it sure can't be cyclists! There's one section here that has a proper sign, "bike lane begins", the painted lane and the whole works. It starts part way through a block, and, oh, I really have to go GPS it to be sure, but I think it's about 30 meters later, there's another sign that says "bike lane ends", and, it sure enough does. What were they thinking? :confused:

Here's to cycling as transportation!

Hugs & butterflies,
~T~

Jo-n-NY
05-15-2007, 07:47 AM
GREAT Letter Mimi....no use complaining unless we are ready to take action. Congratulations on getting it published!!!

~ JoAnn

Wahine
05-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Great letter Mimi. I'm glad you included your age. I hope it inspires other "older" commuters.

You've inspired me. I used to commute at least 3 days a week in Edmonton. I can't here because I have to cross a toll bridge to go work and it does not allow cyclists or pedestrians!!:mad: :mad:

My community is *supposed* to be ecologically minded and yet you cannot cross the only bridge over the Columbia within 20 miles with your bike. WTF.

So I think it's time to write a letter.

teigyr
05-15-2007, 08:02 AM
I think the age is important. Congrats on getting it published :D

of course my mother would say "did you have to tell them your weight?" though I'd be proud of 125!

aka_kim
05-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Very cool Mimi - you do rock!

Tri Girl
05-15-2007, 11:20 AM
:D Excellent letter!!! Glad you wrote it!!

Thistle
05-15-2007, 03:21 PM
great work mimi :D

uforgot
05-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Hey, I loved the 55 year old part. Hope someone reads it and feels like a fool!

Starfish
05-15-2007, 06:27 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/315646_ltrs15.html
"That's what sidewalks are for!"

They'd be the same idiots who, if they were on the sidewalk and you were riding on the sidewalk, would shout, Get Off The Sidewalk!

Besides, in most cities you're not allowed to ride/skate on sidewalks.

Great letter, Mimi!

RoadRaven
05-16-2007, 02:04 AM
Well impressed, Mimi
We should all write regularly to our local papers
;)

rij73
05-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Wow! That was awesome...

KnottedYet
05-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Very cool, Mimi!

xeney
05-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Very cool, Mimi. But this made me laugh:

Would these furious, impatient drivers be hostile and threatening to me, a 125-pound 55-year-old woman in the supermarket? Does driving a dangerous weapon somehow make them above the laws of common sense and civility?

Because yesterday I flipped out and road-raged at a woman who was talking on her cellphone and nearly right-hooked a cyclist. She turned without signaling and very unsafely, barely staying in her lane, and the cyclist was very visible, she just didn't consider him.

I was behind her and I honked and flashed my lights, and she pulled over, and I rolled down my window and yelled at her. She was very startled, probably because little pregnant women in SUVs don't usually yell at nice ladies in Lexuses.

And you are right, I probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't been in my car. I think I was channeling my dad there for a minute. I'm still glad I did, though, because she could have killed that guy.