PDA

View Full Version : Hydration packs

Zen
05-14-2007, 08:36 PM
does anyone have experience with these pro or con? I used one once last year and wasn't happy with it. it was just too difficult to bite and suck and get enough water. also, I'm not comfortable enough yet to ride one handed so would like to have that mouthpiece close so I can get it in my mouth quick.

The bike frame (47) is too small for two cages and like I said I don't have the coordination to reach down, pull out the bottle and swig.

I was thinking of a small waistpack.

Is CamelBak superior to other brands or is it just the most widely known?

SadieKate
05-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Camelback is just the mostly widely known. Waistpacks for hydration use the same bladder tech gadgetry as a backpack version.

Go look at some different brands as the bite valves are all different. You can get replacment bladders and valves from Platypus which you might like better.

lauraelmore1033
05-15-2007, 06:29 AM
I use a generic "hydration pac" that I got from Costco for about $18. I like it quite a bit and find it easier to bite and sip on the go than to reach down for the water bottle. It holds two litres and I can also carry rain gear and tool kit inside as well. It's good for the average long recreational ride.

SalsaMTB
05-15-2007, 06:54 AM
I use hydrapak (www.hydrapak.com) and have been very happy with it. Previously I had camelback brand and the new bladder design was too hard to open. The hydrapak uses velcro and a plastic band that makes it super easy to open and close. You can actually turn it inside out to clean it. Also, they have a velcro piece on the tube and on the bag so you can stick it to your chest, shoulder, or wherever so it doesn't dangle and hit your leg while riding.

Zen
05-15-2007, 07:05 AM
That's useful info, I like that velcro feature.
Now to talk myself into spending forty dollars (and shipping:( )

Thanks!

farrellcollie
05-15-2007, 05:48 PM
I use a camelbak - but it can be ahrd to open. I like having water in it and then gatorade or something else like it in water bottles.