PDA

View Full Version : June TE-DC Ride(s)

Kalidurga
05-14-2007, 07:01 AM
At Nicole's suggestion, it's time to start planning for June :D

Road ride: Date? Route? I still want to try out the Riley's/Poolesville route that I created (the one that avoids most of River Rd), if anyone's interested in that.

MTB ride: I'm still so hyped over yesterday's ride that I posted at The Bike Site (http://thebikesite.org/index.php), asking about novice rides and classes in Md. Apparently no one's got any classes or clinics coming up, but there are a few rides that are geared towards beginners- Beginner mtb classes & trails (http://thebikesite.org/index.php?topic=1261.new;topicseen#new). Anyone interested in joining me for the 6/23 Black Hill ride?

7rider
05-14-2007, 09:41 AM
"Don't bring a knife to a gun fight" - eh??
I read the thread you started on the Bike Site.
See....they're trying to get you to get a mountainbike. Eventually, you'll get bored with Rosaryville and will want to try newer, more technical terrain. And you're cross bike won't be up to the task. See? That's how it starts.
Before you know it, we'll be trying to get Nicole to get a Mtb, and Catherine, and everybody must have a gaggle of bikes in their stable!
All in the interest of "keeping your options open." :p
Remember the lower linkage I was talking about for my bike? DH convinced me I needed it. Too much play in the rear triangle of my bike. We ordered it. :rolleyes:
And so it begins.....

That being said....I'm always up for a ride.
Don't know if I can commit at this point to the 23rd.
But I'll show up somewhere with some bike!

F8th637
05-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Have you checked out your local REI? I know they have an Intro to Mountain Biking class. Here's the info for the one in the MD/VA area: http://www.rei.com/rei/outdoorschool/DC/DCmtbout.jsp

There's even an All Women's one:
http://www.rei.com/rei/outdoorschool/DC/DCwmtbout.jsp

HillSlugger
05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm interested in riding your Poolesville route and would be able to do any weekend other than the 9th-10th.

I don't see an mtb bike in my stable any time soon. I suppose if someone had one to lend me that fit OK I'd consider a ride...

What is it about biking that make you think always about your next bike? I've always got dreams of race or tri bikes, and if the commuting thing goes well I'd love to trade my hybrid for a flat bar road bike. :rolleyes:

Kalidurga
05-14-2007, 10:23 AM
What is it about biking that make you think always about your next bike? :rolleyes:

See, that's just why I got the 'cross bike. I will probably never race with it, but it allows me to do all of the riding I do want to do so I have no dreams of another bike (at the moment). I didn't bother to respond to the guys on the Bike Site forum. :rolleyes: Thanks for the REI links, F8th637. I never think of them for stuff like this.

Do we want to try for a road ride on either Saturday 6/16 or Sunday 6/17?

F8th637
05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Glad to help!

I guess I shouldn't get rid of that hardtail I've got in the shop right now. I was going to donate it and then my husband said he'd ride it. Now I see the benefits of having that one waiting in the wings too. ;)

I'll consider both those rides.

divingbiker
05-14-2007, 10:45 AM
I've got family visiting from Nebraska the weekend of June 16-17 so I'll be playing tour guide, but of course that doesn't mean the rest of you can't ride then. I'd love to ride with you if it's any other weekend. I think I'm free on the 23rd for the MTB ride.

See, everybody needs a basement full of bikes! A road bike, a commuting bike, a hardtail mountain bike, a backup commuting bike, maybe a better road bike, a full suspension mountain bike...where does it end?

7rider
05-14-2007, 11:13 AM
See, everybody needs a basement full of bikes! A road bike, a commuting bike, a hardtail mountain bike, a backup commuting bike, maybe a better road bike, a full suspension mountain bike...where does it end?

You forgot the 'cross bike and the cruiser because, well, just coz cruisers are cool. :cool:
Oh...and the ss/fixie for the thug in you.

Kalidurga
05-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Oh...and the ss/fixie for the thug in you.

"Thug"??? I'd think "anarchist" or "hippy revolutionary" would sound a little better to most ss/fixie riders ;)

aicabsolut
05-14-2007, 11:55 AM
meh, mountain bikes are too uncomfortable for me. I might be able to do a road ride in late June. Thinking about races on the 17th and the 24th but I'm not sure.

HillSlugger
05-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Alrighty...getting back to planning a ride...

So, how about Tam's Poolesville route (http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Less-River-Rd-Poolesville-Route) on Sunday June 17?

Kalidurga
05-16-2007, 03:23 AM
So, how about Tam's Poolesville route (http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Less-River-Rd-Poolesville-Route) on Sunday June 17?

Works for me :D

7rider
05-16-2007, 09:04 AM
I think I'd prefer to do more than 30 miles.
I am, after all, chasing Nicole towards 2500 miles this year - and failing miserably. :o
(I would consider adding my own spurs to this, however, if y'all are up for it).

HillSlugger
05-16-2007, 09:13 AM
I am, after all, chasing Nicole towards 2500 miles this year - and failing miserably. :o
(I would consider adding my own spurs to this, however, if y'all are up for it).
Now I get it, you tried to kill me last Saturday so that you'd be able to catch up and pass! :eek: ;) You're making steady progress closing the gap.

Why not join us and then tack on some extra miles at the end?

Kalidurga
05-16-2007, 11:28 AM

Either that, or you guys pick out a longer route that allows me the option of a shortcut back to the starting point. Then the two of you can duke it out. If you're going to make it a competitive ride, though, I may just let you disappear down River Rd, then turn around and head back to the towpath ;)

And, it looks like I'm going to have to work on 6/23 so I won't be able to do the Black Hills mtb ride. Work is getting to be a drag- I'm also gonna miss going to the CSC pro race on 6/2 because we have inventory. Bah! :mad:

7rider
05-17-2007, 05:30 AM
Well, I couldn't exactly have Nicole come WITH me....that would sort of defeat the purpose of getting more miles in than her! :o
Maybe, I could let the air out of her tires before we left! Mwahahahahaha (evil laugh)

Zen
05-21-2007, 08:44 PM
I might be up for that, it depends on

start time, weather, your speed and amount of patience

Kalidurga
05-22-2007, 03:30 AM
zencentury, I've been thinking of pm'ing you to see if you wanted to ride together sometime.

The TE-DC road rides we've done so far have usually begun 10:00 a.m.-ish down around Riley's Lock on the Potomac. As divingbiker described in the May thread, our personal speeds vary quite a bit. For the ride being considered in June, for instance, Nicole and Regina will probably spend quite a bit of time waiting for me while their legs cramp up ;) If you'd like to keep me company, great! If you're fast like them, well, you'll be the one needing patience.

If you don't do that ride with us, I'd certainly be interested in trying out the roads up around Frederick sometime (as long as we stay away from the Catoctins).

7rider
05-22-2007, 05:40 AM
Actually, I'd probably be riding circles - back and forth - to up that mileage count. :p Nothing like having reeeeeaally strange graphs on the Garmin at the end of the day!

Okay..I think I'd be up for this - if you don't mind if I ride ahead and come back from time to time. I wouldn't blow anyone off.

Would be nice to see some new faces, too, on the ride - ZenCentury...F8th637, Dingster1? Others? Mind you, not that I don't enjoy the "regular" faces...but...well, it's nice to include others, too...

aicabsolut
05-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I'm definitely not going to be around on the 17th. Boo. I'm debating between the RFK crit or staying here in Georgia a little while longer to do the Georgia Cup stage race in Savannah. It's women's open category (meaning I'll just be there for the experience), but the courses should be a lot of fun.

I still need a "T" for the TTT.

HillSlugger
06-04-2007, 05:46 AM
On we still on for this on Sunday June 17?

Kalidurga
06-04-2007, 08:34 AM
I am. Did we decide on a time?

HillSlugger
06-04-2007, 08:47 AM
9:30?

Kalidurga
06-04-2007, 09:09 AM
9:30 sounds good, before it gets hot. Zenc, if you decide to join us, is that too early for you to drive down from Frederick?

Zen
06-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I will be there.
It looks like the start point/parking is the golf course?

Kalidurga
06-04-2007, 10:40 AM
I will be there.
It looks like the start point/parking is the golf course?

The start point is actually Riley's Lock, which is down the road from the golf course. If you zoom the map down to street level, you can see it more clearly. Take Rte 112 down from Rte 28, and Riley's Lock Road will be a left turn at the bottom of a long descending curve in the road (you'll see the golf course to the left), just before a bridge across Seneca Creek.

Head down Riley's Lock road to the first parking lot on the left. If you get all the way down to the parking lot at the lock house, just turn around and head back to the other one.

I'm planning to ride an abbreviated version of the route this weekend, just so I can plot out all the places where you guys will lose me ;)

Zen
06-06-2007, 09:36 PM
I regret that I will not be able to attend the party:( :( :(
I found out tonight that there will be two training rides that weekend and I'm sure I need them.

Oh well, if not then maybe later this summer or at least the Civil War century/50/25. My appearance remains a mystery!

Kalidurga
06-07-2007, 02:25 AM
Well, phooey. I was looking forward to meeting you, ZenC. Next time...

Regina, are you still in?

7rider
06-07-2007, 05:01 AM
I plan to be there. I may arrive early and do a short warmup loop before y'all arrive. That will help me get my more-than-30 in and allow me to not seem so anti-social during the group ride.
Who else? Anyone from VA coming along?

Zen
06-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Well, phooey. I was looking forward to meeting you, ZenC. Next time...

Regina, are you still in?

I bet they have good chai tea at the Indian restaraunt by Bike Doctor....

Kalidurga
06-08-2007, 03:12 AM
I bet they have good chai tea at the Indian restaraunt by Bike Doctor....

Good thought, I've been wanting to try Nilgiri's. If not there, I know they have good tea at Down-Time Cafe, on Patrick St. If we try one of your hilly routes one of these days, the headache tea at Down-Time might be a necessity afterwards ;)

7rider
06-15-2007, 05:49 PM
So....
We have a few of us for this Sunday the 17th at Riley's Lock at 9:30 for Tam's 30-mile route.
Who else is coming along? Dingster1? Any of the VA folks?
This will be a casual ride. No one left behind, no one gets bragging points for taking the town-line sprint (:cool: ).

dingster1
06-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Nope sorry, I'll be in church. :)

divingbiker
06-16-2007, 05:10 AM
And I'll be entertaining the visiting 9-year-olds from Nebraska...

Kalidurga
06-16-2007, 06:17 AM
So....
We have a few of us for this Sunday the 17th at Riley's Lock at 9:30 for Tam's 30-mile route.

Did we decide whether we're doing lunch afterwards? Food's as important as riding, y'know. Not that I'm saying we need to, just trying to plot out the rest of the day. ;)

HillSlugger
06-16-2007, 08:56 AM
I may have to pull out of the ride. I ran a 5k race today (did better than I imagined) but I twisted my ankle and took a fall. I'm sure I should rest my knee and ankle, but I don't want to miss a ride (or swim or run). I'll have to let you know later when I see how everything looks and feels. :( :mad:

7rider
06-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Owie!!!!
Too bad about your ankle.
R.I.C.E. that puppy.
Hopefully, things will be good to go tomorrow for you. Cycling isn't weight bearing, which is good, but ya still gotta move it! :cool:

Kalidurga
06-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I hope you'll be ok, Nicole, it's been such a while since we've ridden together. But definitely don't push it and do something that would curtail your training. Let us know how you feel in the morning.

7rider
06-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Tam.
I have the cue-sheet but the map won't print. :mad:
And the cue-sheet is littered with adds that make some sections unreadable.:mad: :mad:
So...
At miles 11-14 and 17-17.5 and again at 18-20, I'll be following closely! ;)

Kalidurga
06-17-2007, 03:56 AM
I've got both, and I know those roads fairly well. We'll be fine. *Kali plots a circuitous route that will get Regina lost for sure... Mwaahaha!*

:D