PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run Drivers

annie
08-09-2004, 06:41 PM
What do you think of someone who would hit a cyclist (me) and then leave the scene? Talk about crazy drivers! Homicidal driver!

A week ago this very night! It seems like longer. I was on RAGBRAI, in the overnight town, heading back to my campsite. It was night, but I had an array of lights on the back panniers of my bike. Flashing, blinking, all with new batteries. Plus a bright headlight on front. Plus a large, reflective safety triangle in the middle of the back of the bike. Riding uphill, on the side of the road. So not going fast at all! One friend behind me. He saw it happen. A car came flying up the hill, sideswiped my rear pannier, sent my bike and me airborne and kept going. There is no way the driver didn't realize he hit something. I had an 80 lb. loaded touring bike. The mirror from the car was found at the scene. Three of my panniers flew off the bike, one of which broke open. My rear rim was taco'ed. Front is probably too far gone to trued, also. Frame is dented, but might be okay. Left pedal shaft is bent down towards the ground. My left ankle was my worst injury, but to see that pedal in that condition was really frightening! A couple driving up the road stopped, called 911, helped gather up all my stuff. The ambulance came, whisked me away to the hospital, they x-rayed my left ankle and right elbow, nothing was broken. I was SO LUCKY! Lots and lots of bruises, tho, and aches and pains. Very swollen ankle, but not even sprained. The friend I had been riding with called his group. They picked up my bike (which was not rideable) and all my stuff, took me to where they were staying and I got to stay in a house and sleep on a couch instead of camping. Very nice people! I had bad dreams for the next few nights, believe me! Even tho' I didn't actually see what happened, I remembered the impact and flying through the air and then not knowing at first if I was okay or not. Very scary! Very, very scary. I guess it took me this long to post about it because I really didn't want to re-live it. Now I'm better with it. I've been out riding again, more than once, on a different bike. My ankle, while still not normal, is improving. All is well. I just wish they would find the driver that did it! I've been in touch with the officer that interviewed me that night and he says he's had some leads, but nothing has panned out. My feeling is that the more time goes by, the less likely they are to find anything. There was no fatality. I am not terribly injured. I suspect they'll just let it fade away. So there's my "crazy" driver story, ladies. I sincerely hope none of you experiences anything like it. There's no moral to the story....... I don't know that I could have done anything to avoid the accident short of not being there at that time, and who can predict such a thing! Just be careful everyone!! Take care of yourselves.

annie

annie

Veronica
08-09-2004, 07:10 PM
That is scary. Glad you're okay. What town was it in?

V.

annie
08-10-2004, 04:52 AM
It was in Fort Dodge, IA. Don't think I'll be going there for awhile again........:rolleyes:

Veronica
08-10-2004, 05:11 AM
They have a paper - The Messenger - you could write an editorial about what happened to you and see if any info comes forward.

V.

Barb
08-10-2004, 05:19 AM
I'm glad to hear you are ok (sort of). Sorry about your bike. My freind WILL NOT ride on roads for this reason. I'm still on the roads but I catch myself hitting bike paths more and more. :(

Adventure Girl
08-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by annie
Very scary! Very, very scary.Wow! You're not kidding! And you were very unlucky and very very lucky at the same time. I can understand the idea of not being able to talk/write about it. To me, something isn't real until I relay it to someone (does that make any sense?)

So what becomes of your bike and medical bills? Can your auto insurance or your homeowner's insurance cover it? I guess not your auto insurance since your bike isn't covered. But maybe homeowners. My husband was in a motorcycle accident. Our auto insurance covered the damage to his motorcycle. But it was our homeowner's that covered his riding gear (leathers, gloves, boots and helmet--a couple thousand dollars).

I hope you're feeling better and recovering quickly. And it's good that you're back out riding already. It will take a while, but you'll get through it.

pedalfaster
08-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by annie
I just wish they would find the driver that did it! I've been in touch with the officer that interviewed me that night and he says he's had some leads, but nothing has panned out. My feeling is that the more time goes by, the less likely they are to find anything. There was no fatality. I am not terribly injured. I suspect they'll just let it fade away.

Annie---So sorry to hear this!

Hit-and-run is a CRIME.

Do not let it "fade away". Be the squeaky wheel, the pesky little thorn in that officer's side.

Remind the police that you were the victim of a crime and that if the driver is not found so that you can seek restitution that you will be filing forVictim's Compensation (http://www.state.ia.us/government/ag/comp.htm)

I hate to sound sue-happy, but I'm just so darn tired of people failing to take responsibility for their actions. :mad:

Irulan
08-10-2004, 08:31 AM
this is why I keep a pencil stub and a scrap of paper in the bottom of my camel bak... for liscence plate numbers. Not that if I got hit I'd remember to use it. A cop pal of mine suggested this ever since we had firecrackers throw at us.

Irulan

spazzdog
08-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Irulan (et all).

trade in your pencil and paper for a capped (to prevent smearing) grease pencil.

you can stow it in your jersey pocket.

if something "unpleasant" happens with a car, snatch it out and write the plate # on your leg.

can be done while peddling (as you tear after the idiot) or while sprawling in a ditch (as you swear mightily).

always improvisin'... spazzdog

Maine-iac
08-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Hit-and-run is a CRIME

I hate to sound sue-happy, but I'm just so darn tired of people failing to take responsibility for their actions.
ABSOLUTELY! Keep after the officer if that is what it takes.
So sorry you had that experience. Not only is it physically harmfeul, but also mentally and emotionally.

Shimpie
08-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Wow, I'm very relieved to know you weren't seriously injured. Definitely get a police report if you haven't already. Some guilty driver is out there, and he/she is resposible for the damages to you and your bike. I wasn't seriously injured in my bike accident last May, but I was surprised to see how fast the medical bills stacked up. Then after a week, my back acted up and I needed some physical therapy. If I hadn't had medical insurance, I'd be in an incredible amount of debt now.

I didn't even consider what the accident did to my mental state until I tried to ride again. I wouldn't ride on the road for a month because of fear. Every loud noise made my fast beating heart beat even faster. Even when I was driving my car I would stay clear of trucks towing trailers, and as I passed I would scrutinize the connection of the tow hitch. (For those who don't now, I was hit by a trailer than came unhitched)

Please don't let fear seize you up. I had to repeat to myself. "It's all it your head. It was just freak accident."

Maine-iac
08-11-2004, 04:29 AM
I still have that slight panic everytime a car door opens, even when driving a car. And just another plug for helmets...I would not be here if I had not been wearing one.

Shimpie
08-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Helmets are a must!

I still keep the one I wore during my accident. I hung it on the wall as a reminder. In the middle of the helmet is a big red paint smear that transfered when my head hit the curb. :(

-Weena

Cdalekat
08-11-2004, 08:50 AM
What a terrible experience!
I'm wishing you a speedy recovery, accident-free biking, and a pox on the <body part of choice> on the driver!

ragbrai40
08-11-2004, 01:48 PM
That hill (if I'm thinking of the right one) had a bit of a curve to it, and was wide enough for both bikes and cars - with all your illumination I can't imagine them not seeing you!

Thoughts and healing prayers are with you! ~hug~

massbikebabe
08-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Jaysus Annie...

Glad you made it outta there...with everything attached...man
it sure could have been worse. I'd still be hiding under the covers.
What's the damage to your frame...is it bad?? Is it your beloved
5200??:eek: Keep us posted on your recovery, and let us know if they catch the <insert bad word>! I'll be thinking of ya...

karen
avoiding the censor police

annie
08-14-2004, 05:45 AM
Hey everyone! Thanks so very much for your concern and comments! It is all appreciated and all helps.

Except for my ankle, I am pretty well healed. The ankle is still swollen and I will probably end up going to my family doctor this week just to have it checked. Can't hurt......

Still am not sure about the bike. I will have to pester my friendly LBS owner to get moving on it! The worst thing about the bike is that it was not my bike! It was a borrowed bike that I used because I don't have a touring bike. The only possibility of insurance coverage would be homeowners and it would have to be the owner's homeowners. She hasn't checked into it yet. Fortunately, she is a GOOD friend and was much more concerned about me than the bike. :) She never rode the bike which was why she could loan it to me. IF the frame is still aligned, I plan on replacing rims, pedals, and getting it into riding shape again.

I've talked to the police officer in Fort Dodge three times since the accident. No news. He says they've followed all the leads they've gotten.......... Checked into Victims Comp. That would only cover me, not the bike. And my medical ins. will cover all those bills. Still thinking about doing something for pain, suffering, loss of work time, etc.

Mentally, I am okay, just a little more leery of traffic, but I've been out riding quite a bit. Not at night yet, but that will come. I NEED to ride my bike. It is my therapy, my exercise, a large part of the joy in my life. I simply could not let fear interfere with that!:D So I am out there (and will be soon!)

Thanks again for all the support. You are a wonderful group of women. I think of you as friends!

annie